Xion Audio Player

Sprite Animations for Xion

Tips, Tricks and Techniques for creating amazing Xion skins

Postby xonenine » November 30th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Most of the animations of cars, flying saucers, robots, etc. I'm creating for Xion the same way sprites are created.It's just on a larger scale and much simpler.

Using a 3d modeling program, rather than a paint program, the model of choice is manipulated against a high contrast background.(Pink is usually easiest, just like sprites.)

Screenshots are taken for each animation frame and then opened in Photoshop to be placed in animation sets.

Animations can be built effortlessly this way, compared to painting frame by frame.Although I'm rendering them fun and sketchy right now, very realistic effects can be achieved w Lightwave, Maya, etc.

(On a side note, Viewpoint, the modeling tool I use frequently, allows individual parts full transparency control, which comes in handy.)

Any modeling program that lets you specify a background will work. :)

Most Game Editors can be used in ways like this.It makes Photoshop a little more interesting, too.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Vinnie84 » November 30th, 2009, 7:36 pm

ever given zbrush a go xonenine? i'm pretty good with it :P , if u have used it, how does it compare to these other progs?
Vinnie84
Xion Supporter

Postby xonenine » December 1st, 2009, 8:55 am

I haven't used zbrush, I know it's considered a good tool to edit/build cars for some games.
I use Viewpoint and unrealed for quick things, and Lightwave and Maya for fancier stuff.Maya PLE comes free w/ Unreal Tournament 2004, so it's a real bargain... :)

a disk ready for animation in Viewpoint...each part can have its own lightmap and texture, making the lighting look very real as you move the models around. :)
Last edited by xonenine on December 1st, 2009, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » December 1st, 2009, 12:51 pm

Here is an example animation from an intersection anim...of course the placement of the frames on their imaginary axis is crucial to the perspective, anyone who already models or paints will have no problem w this.

The shadows can be added in Photoshop, along w/ lights, effects, etc.
Most of the glass has to be created in Photoshop as well, being these are generated from screenshots.

Since I want the car to go across an intersection and "disappear", it is a type 0 animation with a delay to keep it offscreen for awhile.The frames go in a layer set named:
Code: Select All Code
id(car1) animation animtype(0)
:)
and one of the frames at the end of the animation will include a
Code: Select All Code
delay(600)

Tip Don't forget delay() can also be used to speed up an animation!
If you need to speed one up a little, try adding delay(0) to the layer set. :)

Tip The moveable tag can be added to frames in an animation also...

Tip If you need to add more modify tags, adding additional empty layers to your animation is possible.

The animations are from the retrospect II skin, should you like to see more examples...
Last edited by xonenine on December 17th, 2009, 12:54 am, edited 12 times in total.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Vinnie84 » December 1st, 2009, 5:45 pm

not just cars my furry friend

zbrush will be my tool of choice :P
Vinnie84
Xion Supporter

Postby xonenine » December 1st, 2009, 11:03 pm

I look forward to seeing Vinnie, I think I'll even download the latest zbrush... :)
Edit: only 30 day trials of zbrush available now, I'll stick w Lightwave and Blender for the full featured tools.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Return to Tips, Tricks and Techniques