Xion Audio Player

Tabbed browsing... a blessing or a curse?

Anything and Everything not directly related to Xion. Catchup with friends, send links, chat, have fun. Just keep it clean

Are you a tab-hoarder?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes : 5

Postby OfficerMike07 » April 2nd, 2009, 8:29 am

I use Firefox 3 as my main browser, and I currently have 35 tabs open. I've also set Firefox to open tabs that were open at the close of my previous session, so I can pick up where I left off if I need to shut down my computer or whatever. Some of the tabs I have open have been open for some time... my best estimates put the oldest ones at 6 months. I keep promising myself I'll revisit them someday and read/watch/learn, but I rarely get around to it. Does anyone else suffer from these same tab-hoarding tendencies?
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby logokas » April 2nd, 2009, 6:30 pm

Yes. Usually my tabs are filled with things i need in the immediate future. I haven't quite gone over any colossal numbers though. I keep at least 5 tabs open in every firefox session though.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Jikaru » April 3rd, 2009, 3:49 am

I usually open like 4-5 depending on images/sites/etc But Mostly I have my bookmarks toolbar filled with all the regular stuff I visit on a daily basis. Normally I would just close a tab when I'm done with with it, and firefox is told to never re-open tabs after a close. It starts slow enough as is, 6 months worth the tabs is ridiculous to open everytime, let alone to have at all. Make bookmarks of stuff, and keep the major things in the bookmarks toolbar.

Your situation with tabs sounds like a disease, if you didn't need something 6 months ago, get rid of it. I say you take a day to just make bookmarks of everything, then close all your tabs. And tell firefox to stop picking up where you left off. And what I do to help with the bookmarks toolbar is get rid of names and just have the symbols up there. Its like a dock for firefox.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » April 4th, 2009, 8:49 am

yay love those paras Jikaru ;)

heh, I normally have at least 50 tabs open in ff3, and more when I'm looking at blog/twitter posts that lead onto more.
got some hefty vids I need to glance over yet, they kind of interrupt the work flow though
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby OfficerMike07 » April 4th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Ah yes.... I usually have more open when I'm going through a day's worth of posts on Gizmodo. I probably get up to 75 tabs then. This is on a dual-core 1.6 GHz laptop with 2 GB RAM running Vista.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby Jikaru » April 4th, 2009, 3:43 pm

OfficerMike07 Wrote:Ah yes.... I usually have more open when I'm going through a day's worth of posts on Gizmodo. I probably get up to 75 tabs then. This is on a dual-core 1.6 GHz laptop with 2 GB RAM running Vista.

Sounds like your asking your computer to kill itself.

Seriously people bookmarks are your friends, and if you want, goto delicious.com and setup an account to keep track of extra bookmarks. Tabs were meant to keep flow for immediate browsing and saving of immediate sites to look at, bookmarks were designed for long term browsing, and 75 tabs sounds unbelievable.

I don't have the time to open that much crap. I maybe spend my day on 4-5 tabs and bookmark for anything that lasts for more than a day, anything I don't get to in a week is more than I can chew and needs to be tossed.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby OfficerMike07 » April 4th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Of course my junk-collecting tendencies don't stop at the computer... I collect other random crap that seems at the time like it might be useful later, but which never gets used. Beware: I am the crap collector!
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » April 5th, 2009, 3:09 am

lol, I had to loose that tendency when I started going to college.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby OfficerMike07 » April 5th, 2009, 5:16 am

I am in college.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » April 5th, 2009, 5:19 am

do you live with your parents?
if not do you live in an apartment?

I live in an apartment and I can't have a whole lot of stuff. The only thing I gather is money. lol.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby OfficerMike07 » April 5th, 2009, 6:24 am

Yeah, I'm just in the local community college right now, living with my parents. Next year I'll be going to USF, living in an 8 by 12 box. We'll see what happens there...

Edit: I've just now thrown all of my tabs into a crap folder in my bookmarks. Problem solved (or at least avoided).
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Return to General Off-Topic Discussion