Xion Audio Player

Brutal Uninstaller?

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Postby poprune » June 18th, 2009, 1:52 am

Hello. I've just started using Xion because I was fed up with WinAmp crashing or freezing when I tried to re-postion the track indicator. In general, I like the Xion program, but there are a couple of points I think are worth mentioning:

1. I rather expected that the installation process would include options for file associations and was somewhat surprised when it didn't. I was even more surprised when I saw that all my sound files have the Windows (XP Pro 32) default icon, despite the fact that I've gone through the 'File Types' menu and changed every occurrence of a sound-related file to 'Xion'.
2. In connection with 1., I thought I might have got hold of an incorrect version of the program, so went to uninstall it, only to find no uninstaller, nor any reference on Add/Remove Programs' (nor any entry in the registry, as far as I could see). I simply deleted the program, installed what I thought was the latest version (1.0.100) and tried again. Still no file associations, but this time I saw that I had an uninstaller. Which I used a few minutes later when I noticed that there was a new beta (1.0.017). Now that is SOME un-installer! Zap - everything gone, including the containing directory! Just as well that I'd shifted my Skins sub-directory out of there first! But I did lose the installer program, which means that I've either got to keep it in a separate directory or remember to move it beforer uninstalling in future (or ask you nicely to tame that uninstaller a bit....)
3. I've found a skin I like, but I'd prefer to choose for myself whether it's 'always on top', since I like to play full-screen ganmes with the sound turned off and listen to something else. Yes, I could minimise it, but the option would be nice.

Thanks again for a nice piece of work!
poprune
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » June 18th, 2009, 3:05 am

Hi poprune, welcome to the Xion forum :)

Due to the changes made for Vista all skins are now held in your profile rather than the app folder, you should find you still have those, not tested the uninstaller lately though.

There is a section for file association in the prefs window
Also right click on the skin and always on top is optional.
Check out the prefs screen and the right click options on a skin, playlist, buttons. Xion is packed with loads of features.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby poprune » June 18th, 2009, 6:19 am

Thanks for that; put it down to unfamiliarity and sorry to have missed those points when I should have looked harder. But I think you'll find that my point about the uninstaller is correct: it certainly deleted the entire directory when I tried it.
poprune
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » June 18th, 2009, 9:10 am

Hi poprune,

The Uninstaller in 117 has been updated so that it will prompt you if you want to delete your settings, skins, plugins, etc. Everything else in the Xion directory though, will be completely removed. Otherwise I get users complaining that Xion doesn't clean up properly after itself.

You're the first to complain that it cleans up after itself too well! :P

Not sure why you never had an Add/Remove entry either, or file types. Which version of Windows are you using? The File types setup is done from within the Configuration panel and not the installer, yes.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » June 19th, 2009, 1:46 am

Build 100 required to be ran under Admin mode to install properly, that's why it failed to make all the necessary changes to the system ( An installer can't write to the registry without that right, by default, thus causing the missing entry to Add/Remove and the missing uninstaller, plus not able to adjust file types ).

Thanks to Cliff's added compatibility for Vista/7 in the beta build, everything worked fine with that one.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Return to General Xion Discussion