Xion Audio Player

I hope this isn't a stupid question......

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Postby BoXXi » June 25th, 2007, 9:14 am

It probably is, but here goes anyway.......
Is there any way to make xion NOT always on top? It's the only thing I don't like about it.
If there is a setting somewhere I haven't seen it. Am I doing something wrong?, does it already have this ability?

I would be grateful for any light being shed on this..... Thanks.

(I know I can minimize it to the tray, but I would much rather it just sat behind any other windows I have open)
Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
BoXXi
Xion Supporter

Postby pickle » June 25th, 2007, 9:36 am

Go to "Configure Xion"
Open up the "Components" pane
Click on "Shimmer Interface"
Click on "Options"

The option you want is there :)
pickle
Xion Admirer

Postby BoXXi » June 25th, 2007, 9:44 am

Hi Pickle, thanks for answering so quickly, but that doesn't seem to work..... when I click options, all I get is a small box telling me which .psd file I'm using. If I click the drop down box, it opens the skins browser. I see no other options in there, am I still missing something?
Time flies like an arrow
BoXXi
Xion Supporter

Postby pictoratus » June 25th, 2007, 11:39 am

BoXXi

Right click on the skin and uncheck 'Always On Top' :wink:
pictoratus
Xion Supporter

Postby BoXXi » June 25th, 2007, 6:18 pm

Pictoratus: I don't have that option when I right click either!! I'm sure I have the latest build, why can't I see all these options?? :(
Time flies like an arrow
BoXXi
Xion Supporter

Postby BoXXi » June 25th, 2007, 6:49 pm

OK.... turns out i WASN'T using the latest build!! DOH! so that problem is fixed. Only thing is, now I have the new build, my song title doesn't scroll anymore, and I liked it to do that. Is there a way to make it scroll again, or do I now have to set that in the layers when I make a skin?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...... Bryan. :)
Time flies like an arrow
BoXXi
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » June 25th, 2007, 8:24 pm

which skin doesnt it scroll in? if its a specific skin then that might be handy to see why, cos we could use a non scrolling songticker for vertical mode skins ;)
altho i suspect it might be a bug :-/
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby BoXXi » June 25th, 2007, 8:35 pm

Hi SLoB.... the title won't scroll in any song now if the title fits in the "track" area. If the title is really long it will scroll, but it has to be REALLY long.
Apparently, this was a "fix" in the latest build, but I don't like it at all, I want my trackname to scroll no matter how long or short the "track" area is.
Maybe Cliff will put in an option to scroll or not, personally I would like it back.

Most of my skins have very long track name areas, so I don't get scrolling text in any of them now.... :(
Time flies like an arrow
BoXXi
Xion Supporter

Postby BoXXi » June 25th, 2007, 8:44 pm

This is what Cliff put in his "Changelist" of the latest build :-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Add autoscrolling only if song name doesn't fit on skin text area. Otherwise it stays still and doesn't scroll.

Made scrolling never ending so that the song name (or parts of it) are always on the screen, no blank space
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For me, this is a step backwards. I thought the option to have text scroll would have been left in or written in for those that like it. I didn't see it as a fault, I saw it as a feature!
And I have made some skins that take advantage of the scrolling text in a clever way, by having it cross two different windows in the skin, and change color as it does. Now the skin just looks stupid.

Please Cliff, give me back scrolling text :(
Time flies like an arrow
BoXXi
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » June 25th, 2007, 8:54 pm

ah gotchya, yes didnt think too much of that as an issue, more of a pretty reasonable idea to not process text scrolling if it wasnt long enough, cant remember that many discussions tho on the subject?

perhaps while Cliff is in the songticker he could add some params that we could use, so as to have scrolling, no scrolling, default scrolling
this way we could have non scrolling text and also use it for vertical orientation unless its quicker to (return y instead of x) etc in the code base, dont kno how the code works behind the scenes for the songticker
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby BoXXi » June 25th, 2007, 9:03 pm

SLoB: If you look at this skin you will see what I mean..... you can even tell just by looking at the SS that it needs scrolling text to look right.
http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?skinid=45&libid=67
Time flies like an arrow
BoXXi
Xion Supporter

Postby pictoratus » June 25th, 2007, 9:33 pm

I wouldn't mind having the ability for text to scroll as a choice. Sometimes it just seems better for the skin's appearance.
pictoratus
Xion Supporter

Postby bilbo » June 26th, 2007, 5:11 am

very cool boxxi! 8)
bilbo
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » June 26th, 2007, 1:26 pm

BoXXi Wrote:This is what Cliff put in his "Changelist" of the latest build :-
Add autoscrolling only if song name doesn't fit on skin text area. Otherwise it stays still and doesn't scroll.

Made scrolling never ending so that the song name (or parts of it) are always on the screen, no blank space
For me, this is a step backwards. I thought the option to have text scroll would have been left in or written in for those that like it. I didn't see it as a fault, I saw it as a feature!
And I have made some skins that take advantage of the scrolling text in a clever way, by having it cross two different windows in the skin, and change color as it does. Now the skin just looks stupid.

Please Cliff, give me back scrolling text :(

Would the text scrolling be better as option to the Skin Designer or the person using the skin? I.e Right click on the title to change it, or set it in the settings page?

Or have the Designer control the scrolling with the skin? I know that sometimes I wouldn't want the name to scroll and only scroll on long names. I believe this was a Feature Request.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby BoXXi » June 26th, 2007, 5:16 pm

Hi Cliff..... I really don't mind which way you do it, but I guess it would best to let the user choose. If you don't like scrolling text, I suppose it would be annoying if it was hard coded into the skin.
I really hope you can put it back in though........ thank you! Any idea how long it will be before it's back?

Just one thing...... if you give the user the option to turn it off or on, it might be better to have text centre align by default once it's turned off, unless you want to give the user left, centre or right options in the settings. (I hope that makes sense!)

Thanks a lot Cliff.
Time flies like an arrow
BoXXi
Xion Supporter

Next

Return to General Xion Discussion