Xion Audio Player

Skin Categories

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Should skins be categorised into multiple categories or just one per skin?

Poll ended at April 14th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Multiple
70%
One per skin
30%

Total votes : 10

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 7th, 2008, 6:26 pm

Hi all!

Some of you have requested categories for the skins, so that you can sort them a bit easier, what I'm asking now, is let me know what categories we should have!

Have a quick browse of the skins and suggest a couple. If everyone does this we should have a fairly complete list of the categories and I'll go about setting it up.

Here's a couple to get us started:
  • Retro
  • Futuristic
  • Stylish
  • Minimalist

One further thing, there's a poll at the top, running for 7 days. Should skins be categoried into multiple categories, or just one per skin?

Cliff :)
Last edited by Cliff Cawley on April 7th, 2008, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » April 7th, 2008, 6:39 pm

can we have a cat for wtf? :roll: :lol:
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby dredd » April 7th, 2008, 9:50 pm

SLoB Wrote:can we have a cat for wtf? :roll: :lol:

*lol* I second that :lol:

I would add basic design characteristics like

size: big, small (which does not always overlap with minimalistic), ...
shape: round, rectangular, ...
color: colorful, dark, light, ...

Other ones that cross my mind:

Brands
Devices
analog/digital
animated

And in case all the teenage Winamp skinners decide to come over to Xion, you better keep anime/celebrity/tv/... categories in mind, too :wink:
dredd
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » April 7th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Well i don't quite get how one category per skin could function right.

So yeah, multiple and rather general categories to keep the pages less cluttered.

I also nominate a 'Ported' category, in case someone makes a skin based on something made for another player, or looks like one, like say the Windows Media Player-ish skins or some Winamp-like.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby SLoB » April 8th, 2008, 12:30 am

SC will be porting over some of the cPro skins to Xion so yes they would be ported but would fit in other categories such as futuristic, stylish so would they then have or deserve multiple category attribs?

so far Xion has not really seen any ports compared to the other players out there which has surprised me considering how easy it is to skin Xion

a good group of categories is needed though, who also decides which skin goes in which category?
normally it would be left to the skinner but they may either not know which category it belongs in or the actual skin may not belong in the category they put it in.

also to perhaps help improve the standard of skins, should certain categories have some basic rules in place that a skin has to adhere to in order to fit within a specific category?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby logokas » April 8th, 2008, 1:20 am

There should be a few people who are in charge of the categorizing of the skins, actually.

When a new one is submitted, both of them take a look at it and give their input on where it should be and decide on a mutual agreement.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby dredd » April 8th, 2008, 1:44 am

SLoB Wrote:a good group of categories is needed though, who also decides which skin goes in which category?
normally it would be left to the skinner but they may either not know which category it belongs in or the actual skin may not belong in the category they put it in.

That's why I rarely rely on user posted categories on community sites. Using fewer but distinct categories should help, so that the skinner won't have to brood over the subtle differences between modern and futuristic or classic and retro ...
dredd
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 8th, 2008, 7:26 am

logokas Wrote:There should be a few people who are in charge of the categorizing of the skins, actually.

When a new one is submitted, both of them take a look at it and give their input on where it should be and decide on a mutual agreement.

So who wants to volunteer? :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » April 8th, 2008, 7:45 am

i'll help out as I'm a mod here ;)

are we taking requests for skins to be put in certain categories otherwise u kno the skinners will complain that their skin is in this category when it should be in that one lol ;)

no-one has said anything bout the idea i raised with a standard rule set for submission

it might help raise the standard of future skins, probably more of a guideline than a rule but it could help give some kind of expectation of what is required
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby UnseenRage » April 8th, 2008, 8:39 am

I will help out with the skin categorizing.

Slob, give an example of the standard rules of admission you are talking about.
UnseenRage
Xion Supporter

Postby xonenine » April 8th, 2008, 11:09 am

That would be great SLoB and Unseen,
there's nothing a newbie like me would like more than to have a feeling of having submitted a skin that meets a certain level of quality.

funny 'bout the catagories, tho, cause I was about to start stamping all mine rated NR
(for non-rectangular) I was joking, but a rating sys would be fun too.

thanks,
xonenine. :D
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby logokas » April 8th, 2008, 3:15 pm

I suppose i COULD help out at some point, but i'm one of the people who are excited about things at first and then sort of let it go.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby ALAS » April 8th, 2008, 11:39 pm

logokas Wrote:There should be a few people who are in charge of the categorizing of the skins, actually.

to decide the category(ies) should be done by the skinner himself and nobody else. He was the one who had the idea so he should be able to categorize it.
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » April 9th, 2008, 12:04 am

Okay ALAS, now lets assume some dimwitted 12 year old decides to make a Xion skin and whips some alien mutant abomination up and then decides "Hey! Retro sounds cool, i'll put it there!"
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby SLoB » April 9th, 2008, 12:45 am

hmm just an idea here

lets say a skinner boshes up a new skin into the database and its on the 1st page of the skins

it could have a category poll put by it to run out in x days (could change but go with me on this)
in this poll is all of the categories available
it could be decided by both user and the Xion community (only logged in peeps) to choose an option from the poll choices as to which category they think the skin goes in

at the end of the poll the skin is automagically given the category with the most votes and the db is updated with the category, the skin then only shows up with that category name

this has the advantage of having both skinner (who may know or not which category his/her skin belongs in) and the actual Xion community who looks at the skins in the skins list decide the category for the skin.

in the event of anyone not voting in the poll then after the x days its put into the category the skinner first chose.

this way it should seem fair as to which skins belong in which categories, democracy wins lol ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Next

Return to General Xion Discussion