Xion Audio Player

Skin Categories

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Should skins be categorised into multiple categories or just one per skin?

Poll ended at April 14th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Multiple
70%
One per skin
30%

Total votes : 10

Postby SLoB » April 17th, 2008, 12:30 am

Electronic Devices not showing all skins either
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ALAS » April 17th, 2008, 5:15 am

for some of my skins the category was forced to others I didn´t choose (after update category). Afterwards the skin shows up in that (wrong) category as file does not exist. For others it worked well.

edit: another one worked half. One category (fun) ok the other one (animated) ´file does not exist´
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby ALAS » April 17th, 2008, 5:31 am

lol, sorry but the chaos doesn´t end . when clicked ´goto page 2´ in minimalist I came back to the main skin site. Happened again...
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 17th, 2008, 8:00 am

Ok!

Should all be fixed now!! :)

Let me know if there's still any issues! ;)

P.s. you may have to re-update your skin categories, so check to make sure they're correct :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » April 17th, 2008, 9:31 am

Excelent! All is good for me now. Category updating works properly, lists show everything, no errors. Looks pretty smooth to me. Thanks Cliff :)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby ALAS » April 17th, 2008, 4:32 pm

mine are sorted fine now! :)

but for me in animated show up 8 insted of 12, in fun 11 insted of 13, in each case there´s a file does not exist skin at the end.
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 17th, 2008, 7:03 pm

ALAS Wrote:mine are sorted fine now! :)

but for me in animated show up 8 insted of 12, in fun 11 insted of 13, in each case there´s a file does not exist skin at the end.

Ahh thanks ALAS. Yes the counts are cached and were out of date due to the errors, should be fixed now :)

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » April 17th, 2008, 9:40 pm

What i predicted, has happened.

People are making their skin in multiple categories for more exposure and/or misplacing their skins in wrong ones. This needs more control.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 17th, 2008, 9:46 pm

logokas Wrote:What i predicted, has happened.

People are making their skin in multiple categories for more exposure and/or misplacing their skins in wrong ones. This needs more control.

I don't believe this to be the case. I think they are placing into a category that they think it goes in. I can't see any cases where people are doing it for exposure.

Before you go blowing the whistle, there was a bug that was causing skins to get thrown into the wrong category. This is probably just a side effect of that bug. If you think a skin is in the wrong category, query about it and ask if its really supposed to be in that category before condemning everyone.

Most likely it was by accident or misunderstanding. This isn't a hostile community, you can ask and query people without outright accusations :)

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » April 17th, 2008, 9:53 pm

That's what the and/or was for. :P
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby SLoB » April 18th, 2008, 12:18 am

In some ways it makes more sense to make those checkboxes radio buttons, therefore only 1 category is applicable to a skin but in some ways the categories available do cross styles of skins and seeing as its a 1 to many relationship I think people have so far chosen wisely and not abused that yet.

I think the guys here have shown a good sense of control over where their skins are placed within the categories available. We all know there is no point in putting all of our skins in all of the categories, that does not help anyone.

I put Torsion in 3 categories as I thought it was apt, Electronic Devices, Futuristic & Gadgets, to me that seems reasonable considering the skin.

perhaps possibly have a maximum of 3 categories a skin can go in, then the system can never really be abused and common sense has so far shown a 1 to many relationship is not being abused
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ALAS » April 18th, 2008, 1:43 am

SLoB Wrote:
perhaps possibly have a maximum of 3 categories a skin can go in, then the system can never really be abused

that´s a good idea...

(though I also don´t think people here will abuse it...)
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » April 18th, 2008, 2:14 am

There will always be someone greedy enough to do it. Even if it's just out of boredom. Others are simply stupid.

The categories should be more clear as to what they are. I don't think everyone know what the definition of a 'Gadget' really is. Besides, just about every electronic item related to music is pretty much considered a gadget by default. I say some merging is in order.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 18th, 2008, 7:29 am

logokas Wrote:There will always be someone greedy enough to do it. Even if it's just out of boredom. Others are simply stupid.

The categories should be more clear as to what they are. I don't think everyone know what the definition of a 'Gadget' really is. Besides, just about every electronic item related to music is pretty much considered a gadget by default. I say some merging is in order.

Logokas, I'm not sure why you're so negative towards everything, but you should really take a chill pill :)

People here are great people to be around and aren't trying to be greedy as you suggest, or bored enough to place their skin in all categories. Everyone is genuinely interested in Xion and therefore try their best.

Your remarks about people being stupid is degrading and frankly I'm starting to get a little tired of hearing it. I know you're only trying to help, but you shouldn't be so aggressive in your views. You've said previously that this is because of every other forum you've been on. That's great, but the Xion forum is different. Its disappointing that you haven't seen that already.

By calling people stupid you're only driving everyone away. A little less of the name calling and some more constructive criticism would be much more helpful.

I value everyone's opinion and like to hear from them. I can't do that if they decide not to post any more because they or their work is always criticised and put down by someone on this forum.

You mention the Gadget category, obviously you think that the skins in there were incorrectly categorised. Perhaps you could clarify what exactly should go in the Gadgets category in your mind?

Something that would be helpful would be a list of the categories along with descriptions for what should go in there. Even I don't specifically know what should go in each and every category. As I look through them at the moment I'd say everyone's done a great job of classifying them. To me they seem to make sense.

I think it a great idea to put the descriptions on the submissions page, so if you'd like to create those, I'll be happy to put them up.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » April 18th, 2008, 7:53 am

Like i said, i'm not suggesting that people who are already here are stupid. I'm just saying the internet has it's bad people, and it'll be trouble if it's not taken into consideration.

also

Main Entry: gadget
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: A small specialized mechanical device.

I'm gonna have to edit my signature so people don't misunderstand me so much.
logokas
Xion Addict

PreviousNext

Return to General Xion Discussion