Xion Audio Player

new skins catagory

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby xonenine » April 3rd, 2009, 9:18 pm

I know we have a clone catagory, but transformers is juat an exact copy of a skin. :(

I realize it must be very difficult to take a screenshot and then add buttons, and I think they deserve a special catagory all their own.

The trouble is it is pointless to try to explain to an "artist" why this is wrong, an artist would already be embarrassed, or would just choose resources that don't plainly belong to another.

There's nothing in the world wrong with making skins from images that are free, and there are millions of royalty free, copyright free images.It's a great way to jump start learning and skinning.

But worst of all, it's a damn shame that this type of artist thinks it boils down to a question of whether or not they can be prosecuted, and aren't concerned with what it says about them personally.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby logokas » April 3rd, 2009, 11:30 pm

The Free Dictionary Wrote:clone (kln)
n.
1. A cell, group of cells, or organism that is descended from and genetically identical to a single common ancestor, such as a bacterial colony whose members arose from a single original cell.
2. An organism descended asexually from a single ancestor, such as a plant produced by layering or a polyp produced by budding.
3. A DNA sequence, such as a gene, that is transferred from one organism to another and replicated by genetic engineering techniques.
4. One that copies or closely resembles another, as in appearance or function: "filled with business-school clones in gray and blue suits" Michael M. Thomas.

This is fine as it is. That is that. The copyright issue should be the responsibility of the one who uploaded the skin. Cliff may add a disclaimer that the works uploaded to the Skins page are owned by those who uploaded them, and if there is a copyright issue, the skin in question can be removed via request.
Last edited by logokas on April 4th, 2009, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby xonenine » April 3rd, 2009, 11:52 pm

I like the first three, hehe, I'm making a DNA skin. :)

We don't need a new catagory, it was a misnomer, and I shouldn't be so sarcastic.

Given that the skin in question wasn't just an image made into a skin, but an actual screenshot of someone elses WMP, I feel this oversteps the boundries.

I certainly request that any skin that is a blatant copy without even attempting to change its' appearance be removed, starting with Transformers.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby logokas » April 4th, 2009, 12:10 am

And i don't see WHY, or rather WHAT FOR, we should do that.

IF the original creator has a problem with it, sure, remove it. But going around and removing skins on our own accord is rather dumb.

Yes, the technique is a rather cheap one. But who cares? If the end result produces a skin with decent quality, it's fine. If the quality is rubbish, we remove it. Simple as that.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 4th, 2009, 1:06 am

Well if its a clone, then fair enough, give credit where credit is due. I'm just not sure that Pruthvish did that though. If you grab the skin there is a transformers button that says 'Transformers by Pruthvish' and there's also a thin mode that has 'Transformers by Pruthvish' on it again.

Perhaps Pruthvish you should give credit to the original authors and merely show that you ported it to Xion. Of course if the original author requests that it be removed because you didn't obtain permission from them or they think they you are in some way violating their ip, then I'll have to remove it.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » April 4th, 2009, 9:18 am

If I remember correctly even the original had some issues borrowing from another well respected artist, going from memory that is, it's on DA.

I would say though that cloned skins MUST get permission from the original author to be cloned to Xion. We should not allow skins to be pushed here without the original authors consent, it's common courtesy regardless if the clone is any good or not.
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby logokas » April 4th, 2009, 9:36 am

In that case, what do we do with the clones that we can't find an author for?

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 4th, 2009, 11:23 am

If skins are made as a tribute, or in honour of and credit is given, I can't see the problem. Of course the skin must be given away for free if its a clone.

Of course I'm not a lawyer and I haven't consulted one over the legalities of it all. I've seen many other players clone other players, therefore I don't see why Xion can't have skins that either clone other players or their skins as long as credit is given to the original author.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Jikaru » April 4th, 2009, 3:36 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:If skins are made as a tribute, or in honour of and credit is given, I can't see the problem. Of course the skin must be given away for free if its a clone.

Of course I'm not a lawyer and I haven't consulted one over the legalities of it all. I've seen many other players clone other players, therefore I don't see why Xion can't have skins that either clone other players or their skins as long as credit is given to the original author.

Indeed, as long as it is a free-ware skin and original authors are mentioned then there is no problem, but they can still ask for the material to be removed, but it's free publicity why would they do that? They would be stupid to not accept free advertising of their work.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby OfficerMike07 » April 4th, 2009, 5:37 pm

logokas Wrote:
The Free Dictionary Wrote:clone (kln)
n.
1. A cell, group of cells, or organism that is descended from and genetically identical to a single common ancestor, such as a bacterial colony whose members arose from a single original cell.
2. An organism descended asexually from a single ancestor, such as a plant produced by layering or a polyp produced by budding.
3. A DNA sequence, such as a gene, that is transferred from one organism to another and replicated by genetic engineering techniques.
4. One that copies or closely resembles another, as in appearance or function: "filled with business-school clones in gray and blue suits" Michael M. Thomas.

This is fine as it is. That is that. The copyright issue should be the responsibility of the one who uploaded the skin. Cliff may add a disclaimer that the works uploaded to the Skins page are owned by those who uploaded them, and if there is a copyright issue, the skin in question can be removed via request.

:shock: My name is Michael Thomas, no lie. Though my middle initial is S.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby logokas » April 4th, 2009, 7:32 pm

...and?

Also, you guys talk about not making people pay for clones. I don't see where that came from. All the Xion skins ( up to now ) are ALL free?

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Jikaru » April 5th, 2009, 3:05 am

logokas Wrote:...and?

Also, you guys talk about not making people pay for clones. I don't see where that came from. All the Xion skins ( up to now ) are ALL free?

That's the point logokas. All skins for Xion are free. Xion clones or exact rips of skins that are NOT made for Xion are considered fan-based BECAUSE they are free and thus would not break any laws. Indeed it is bad artist etiquette to "rip" others work, it is looked down upon in many cases.

But it shouldn't be a reason to remove the skins immediately from the site just because of that. I have to admit it is fun to port skins to Xion because of the ease.

Hell I'm doing one right now as I type this, and I'm a strong believer in sharing so that's exactly what I plan to do, share.
BTW it is semi-difficult to make a skin off of screenshots considering half the stuff you have to recreate and that's a part of the learning process.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Return to General Skin Discussion