Xion Audio Player

Comment Layers?

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby Harkonenn » October 19th, 2006, 2:22 am

I'm finishing up a skin and I was wondering if it's OK to include comment layers in the PSD? In other words, I really felt the need to organize my skin and mark the beginning of related layers by placing a completely empty layer above them and naming it with a comment about what follows.

So, as long as I don't include keywords in the comments, is this something that would not be a detriment to the functionality of the skin?
Harkonenn
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 19th, 2006, 2:27 am

should work ok imo, as ya cant include the layersets, you could even put in a set of text in the layer if needed and dont show it, then just put a marker on it or something

also colouring of your groups should be cool, so u mark all the relevant layers with the same colour
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Harkonenn » October 19th, 2006, 3:05 am

Thanks, SLoB. Glad you mentioned the layer coloring, since that was the first thing I did before I thought of doing the comment layers.
Harkonenn
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 19th, 2006, 4:34 am

all depends on how readable you want your psd to be, the more complex then prolly best to colour co-ordinate and have comment layers
as you've found out layersets tend to bugger things up :wink: :? :lol:
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby pickle » October 19th, 2006, 5:10 am

While it certainly wouldn't break anything to include invisible comment layers - it sure would increase the size of your skin. If you do include those layers, I'd suggest you strip them out before releasing the final version.
pickle
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » October 19th, 2006, 6:24 am

pickle Wrote:While it certainly wouldn't break anything to include invisible comment layers - it sure would increase the size of your skin. If you do include those layers, I'd suggest you strip them out before releasing the final version.

dont see the point of removing them if people find them handy references but the psds are pretty much self explanatory anyways
with the psd zipped up the adding of comment layers is moot, its not gonna add anything really to the filesize worth worrying about and helps to clarify wot sections are etc..,
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Harkonenn » October 19th, 2006, 10:44 am

Well, I'm just used to commenting code (specifically Actionscript), and I thought that it might be a good idea to treat the skins as if they were blocks of code (whether it's for my own use or someone else's). And yes, I will stay far away from layer sets! Unless, of course, support for them is built into the next release (hint, hint). :wink:
Harkonenn
Xion Supporter

Postby crustlessmist » October 19th, 2006, 1:14 pm

SLoB Wrote:dont see the point of removing them if people find them handy references but the psds are pretty much self explanatory anyways
with the psd zipped up the adding of comment layers is moot, its not gonna add anything really to the filesize worth worrying about and helps to clarify wot sections are etc..,

When you submit your psd to the site Cliff uploads it as a xsf file not a psd, so people wouldnt be able to view your comment layers anyways. It's true that it doesnt add much space but it's always better to be safe than sorry :wink: .
crustlessmist
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 20th, 2006, 12:40 am

wots wrong with submitting xsf files? so noone has to do anything with them, the whole point is so that skinners can distribute fonts within the zips and the skin is done and if done properly shouldnt need any intervention

rather than speculate over filesizes
as a quick test i added 14 comment layers which added 6kb to the overall psd, but when zipped the zip file was the same size as the one without the comment layers, so again the point of removing them for file size is moot, if people want to comment their psds with comment layers then it shouldnt make any difference, if those layers are set to invisible and contain no keywords then theyr ignored by Xion anyways

so wotever :wink: :lol:
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Return to General Skin Discussion