Xion Audio Player

Creating skins with Paint Shop Pro

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby MikeW » September 20th, 2009, 4:55 am

Hi everyone

Like I posted in the 'General Xion' section I was able to create my first skin for Xion. Btw. it was my first skin ever I created for a skineable application
I created the skin with Paint Shop Pro X2 and I ran into a big problem!
I was almost finished as I wanted to use an animation and with it I encountered the problem.
Whenever I create an empty layer - which is needed for an animation - the skin won't load with Xion. There comes up an error message which shows that there would be a mask in the empty layer and this isn't supported with Xion.
Did someone else encountered such a problem?

I only could resolve the problem as I went to a friend who owns Adobe Photoshop to create the layer set and the necessary layers for the animation.
I wasn't able to do this with Paint Shop Pro!
Is there a solution for this? Just want to say that I can't buy Photoshop as it is really too expensive for me.

Thanks in advance for every help and tips!

MikeW
MikeW
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » September 20th, 2009, 8:36 am

Use the search feature on the forum, I believe there might be a workaround :?: :roll:
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » September 20th, 2009, 9:48 am

MikeW Wrote:Whenever I create an empty layer - which is needed for an animation - the skin won't load with Xion. There comes up an error message which shows that there would be a mask in the empty layer and this isn't supported with Xion.
Did someone else encountered such a problem?

I don't have a copy of Paint Shop Pro handy, but can it support Layersets? If you open the skin again that your friend modified, do you see the layersets like you do in Photoshop? Perhaps PSP can't support them?

Perhaps you could send me the skin that has the error message and I can take a look at it here? (Use the Contact page)

If not, you have some alternatives. You can try Paint.Net and also Gimp as they are both free alternatives.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby MikeW » September 20th, 2009, 7:52 pm

HI

@SloB: I used the search function, but there was no thread according the problem.

@Cliff
Yes, Paint Shop Pro supports layer sets, it's called a layer group there.
But there is something which is confusing me totally. When I open the tut4.psd in Paint Shop Pro it shows the psd like this:

The layers are shown as 'normal' layers. The layers 'animation' and '</Layer set>' are empty, at least I can't see anything in them. But I also can't see a difference in the settings compared to the layers I created and which caused the error.

When I save the tut4.psd with Paint Shop Pro I get the same error:

So, it seems that I have to check out Paint.Net or Gimp for this special issue. :( Really bad.

Thanks for your help, Cliff!

Micha
MikeW
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » September 21st, 2009, 9:20 am

That looks like PSP can't properly support Layer sets :(

I'm not sure, but I guess everyone else is using Photoshop?

I'll have to check out Paint.NET again, perhaps I can help them to add group support

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » September 21st, 2009, 7:51 pm

Didn't we have some other guy here who also used PSP? I remember he solved his problems somehow.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby SLoB » September 22nd, 2009, 9:16 am

Yea that's what I thought logokas hence mentioning the search feature ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Return to General Skin Discussion