Xion Audio Player

Post Your Works in Progress

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby SLoB » October 4th, 2006, 11:08 pm

thanks guys for some feedback
@Gordon - font, yea I'm not entirely happy with it either, problem is tho as the font is centered across the entire width of the lcd the font has to be fixed width otherwise you get that annoying movement of the colon & numbers if it was a normal font which is the reason why I asked Cliff for the force fixed width on fonts, so that we can package any font and not have to worry if its fixed width or not as we can force it in the params
thers not many good fixed width fonts out there for free or even paid ones either but there is loads of cool non fixed width fonts hence my request
y pl & eq are gonna be changed :) it was just something to get it up and running for the now

@pickle -
1. rivets are staying unless thers a better alternative thats small, i like adding stuff like that cos it looks kinda usable, gonna use the outer rivet as these are smaller than the inner ones, hopefully then it wont look too much like a button?
2. yes, due to the size constraint in the lcd i was pondering where to put them, perhaps i should have made the thing a little bigger to fit them in better but its a nice kinda small size, they will be repositioned down the bottom i think near the songticker so should show up better
3.thers only a couple of pixels top right and top left that i can see but yes will remove them
4.yea still wip till I'm happy with it, thanks to your feedback which is often lacking with forums for skinning its feedback like this that helps get things finished! :)

the buttons, hmm i dont kno if this is a bug or not?
at first i put in the layer switch on the normal event but that didnt work, so i put the switch on the down image which seemed to be the only thing that triggered it properly

problem is you have to completely let the button go down and up before it registers
just had a quick play with the play button for example, it has the 3 states, over, normal, down but you can click on it very fast and the music will pause, play,pause,play
now you cant do that on the button for changing colours, it seems to be not registering every click or perhaps its the hover state that is blocking the down and not firing the event to change layer?

Cliff can you provide any info?

yea the colour themes was a little cool addition and adds variety with the expense of adding a few layers, small price to pay imo and hopefully it will help to fuel ideas to others to include colour themes in their skins, all helps at the end of the day as users can then change the unit to match their desktops
the only thing with that is we're now waiting for good ol Cliff to add the functionality for skins remembering their last settings ;)

thanks again for the feedback, i'm more than happy to give feedback on other skins too if you need it
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby nicholass » October 4th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Nice skin SLoB :)

here is a skin that I'm working on

Only problem is that I don't have a name for it :( Any suggestions?
//Nicholas
nicholass
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 5th, 2006, 9:27 am

cool nicholass, not sure of a name, i'm useless with names lol, its got some curves innit, maybe something to do with curves, not necessarily with curve in the name tho

right think i'm about wrapped up on GBX now, found a fixed width font worth using, really hope Cliff implements force fixed width or splits the timer out for future skins

here's a screenie similar to above, lots of little things changed, lots of colour, style, lcd changes available, should suit most desktops/user prefs for this little skin

Grab GBX here

dont think thers anything really wrong with it now, should b ok for submission soon unless anyone has any ideas or obvious bugs
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby SLoB » October 6th, 2006, 8:13 am

ok quick update, GBX almost there, altho I'm tempted to leave submission until the new version of Xion is out, removed over, down images on custom buttons due to the issue i found, a quick click on the custom buttons will change the styles/colours/lcd
a few subtle gfx tweaks too :) which you'll be able to see from the little pic below, same link as above for download
Enjoy the beta for the now :)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Infind » October 6th, 2006, 10:16 am

nice work SLoB!!

seeing work like yours makes me feel like a complete n00b...
Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 6th, 2006, 5:56 pm

thnx Infind, its only a first for Xion tho, nothing too special, was a quick idea
dont be afraid to experiment and make use of ps layers
you'll see from the psd on the highlilght layers where i put highlights on things, and the reflections also add a cool bit to the overall aesthetics
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby SLoB » October 7th, 2006, 5:31 am

GBX Beta, Enjoy :)
did a bit of experimenting with it, awaiting new version of Xion before final release as I want to implement some more things that are due in next release of Xion
anyways enjoy the beta while ya can :)
plenty of options in this little skin for user pref
only a few things will change for final version depending on anything not right but it will be nice to only upload it once after the next version of Xion is out, its good to see progress shots of upcoming skins and their development, come on guys get posting your ideas, not only do you get feedback but you could also inspire or give ideas for other future skins

GBX Beta here
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Scarebear » October 8th, 2006, 10:56 pm

Here's the basic skin I'm working on. It's basically a tool allowing me to see what I can/can't do with Xion :)

I will possibly add a couple more buttons to it. But it's just a testing ground at the moment.
Because skinning should be fun!
http://www.scarebear.org/
Scarebear
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 9th, 2006, 1:02 am

cool, like the cbutton layout and also the band ;)

have updated GBX. this is the last update prior to 1.59 going live or Cliff adding anything else into the beta that I want to put into the skin
--
well a few more little features in ther now :)
this is now updated to work with the latest beta (1.59b)
-added toggle button for VU with the colour changer workaround cliff put up (as no one toggle button exists yet), just used the same style to create the toggle button
-added cthru layer styles for bg, fg
-few more styles for all main layers, loads of lcd styles now

its working as i intended it now, just have to w8 to see if Cliff manages to put some kind of settings savings in soon as this will help polish everyones skins off

Grab Beta 2 HERE (NB not tested on 1.58 only 1.59 beta, altho the old version worked fine)

hoping its backwards compatible and Xion just ignores what it doesnt know(primarily tooltips), if anyone can post feedback on it would help, thanks
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Scarebear » October 9th, 2006, 9:02 am

Very nice indeed. I'm using v1.58 here at work and the skin works fine. I don't get all of the tooltips (I assume there are tooltips for all the skin changing buttons) but the buttons work. That's a lot of colour/style choices in one skin. Well done :D
Scarebear
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 9th, 2006, 11:12 pm

cheers
I plan on using the beta @ home and the release version at work, can test both then, yes tooltips are in for custom buttons
might add another 1 or 2 vu's before final release (and anything else Cliff implements before release) as this is now possible using the toggle button idea

I'm hoping Cliff picks up on the RGB sliders for RGB layers which will really help Xion deal properly with colour theming
I thought of another workaround but its not as elegant as it could be, ill post the workaround in the custom slider post so its all kept in context
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Infind » October 14th, 2006, 10:00 am

heres my work in progress...

be nice :wink:

Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby Scarebear » October 14th, 2006, 1:26 pm

I like the oversized buttons. I find the font less user-friendly. But that's what's cool about skinning ;)
Scarebear
Xion Supporter

Postby Precapice » October 16th, 2006, 5:48 am

Some excellent skins here. Nice work guys.

How do I submit this skin here ? I've looked around a see no place to upload.

My effort :)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/41452148/
Last edited by Precapice on October 16th, 2006, 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Precapice
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 16th, 2006, 6:44 am

dodgy link :roll: :?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

PreviousNext

Return to General Skin Discussion