Xion Audio Player

Post Your Works in Progress

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby nihilistic » May 12th, 2007, 7:21 pm

skryingbreath Wrote:I'd type up a huge thing about realism being important and how objects just don't float, but eh.

the interesting part about computer graphics is, that you can create things that can't exist in reality. hence "Virtualreality" ;)

but thats kinda my opinion, nobody gotta share it
nihilistic
Xion Supporter

Postby skryingbreath » May 13th, 2007, 1:53 am

That's a very one-sided "opinon" because you can "create things that don't exist" in painting, drawing, architecture, lithography, printmaking, poetry, prose, short stories, sculpture, relief sculptures, the list goes on. Actually, the very notion of art is creating something that doesn't exist. Your argument is invalid.
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby nihilistic » May 13th, 2007, 8:13 pm

actually, you didn't read me right. i said "things that can't exist in reality" like a skin for a media player that looks like a mobile floating in mid air, or a flying car, or cyborgs and so on. a flying car is just not realistic, even though you can design it to look realistic.

but so what? i dont need to argue with you. if you don't like my art, just screw you. you don't have to use my skin. just remember, maybe i don't like your art, but i dont go around screaming how much i think your stuff sucks ;)

ahhh, before you come all down on me, flaming ad hating: i'm in my 2nd year @ a design school in stuttgart germany. i know just a little about design, and i'm not a little boy playing around with photoshop. you don't like my stuff? just don't use it.

[EDIT]

BTW: an update:Image

it shows main, visuaisation and config window. i'm reworking the minime mode, i'll upload progresspics if i find some time xD cya
nihilistic
Xion Supporter

Postby skryingbreath » May 14th, 2007, 4:37 am

I never said I dislike your art work, I'm just pointing out that you have no idea what you're talking about.
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby Cliff Cawley » May 14th, 2007, 6:57 am

nihilistic Wrote:BTW: an update:Image

it shows main, visuaisation and config window. i'm reworking the minime mode, i'll upload progresspics if i find some time xD cya

Skin is looking great! Keep up the good work!

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby nihilistic » May 14th, 2007, 7:28 am

skryingbreath Wrote:I never said I dislike your art work, I'm just pointing out that you have no idea what you're talking about.

whatever ^^ no offense taken

Cliff Cawley Wrote:Skin is looking great! Keep up the good work!

thank you very very much

[EDIT] YAY! Just went final:
Image]

Download @ KLICK ME!
nihilistic
Xion Supporter

Postby I.R. Brainiac » May 24th, 2007, 8:48 pm

Gretings Xion lovers!...New here and just started using Cliff's player...gotta say its a skinners dream.Been skinning windowblinds for years and I recognize a few names here.

Started my first Xion skin tonight.No controls yet,but hey with right click I can get by for a lttle while. :wink:

This is designed to compliment a windowblind at Maxstyles.com I'm also in progresso.

Maxstyles.com
I.R. Brainiac
Xion Supporter

Postby skryingbreath » May 25th, 2007, 3:56 am

Looks good. I don't think I've seen a wood skin since the old days of Winamp3. You seem to have a real firm grasp of graphics and the idea of skins, but I would resize it smaller than that. I know you WB kids like things big, but this ain't Texas. :P
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby I.R. Brainiac » May 25th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Making overly large graphics has always been one of my 'problem' areas.In the past it was because I wanted room for more detail,but now its because I run at 1440.And many people run much higher than that.

I dont see it as a big problem...unless you have the player set to always on top.
Still I agree its a little big...moot point possibly...its already being redesigned.I figure since its my first Xion skin,it might as well be a big X.

Which will make it more difficult to make smaller because of the reduced surface area.
hehe,I skin myself into a lot of corners. :lol:
Maxstyles.com
I.R. Brainiac
Xion Supporter

Postby I.R. Brainiac » May 25th, 2007, 10:11 pm

version 2.........hmmmmm...possible. :wink:

Maxstyles.com
I.R. Brainiac
Xion Supporter

Postby skryingbreath » May 26th, 2007, 3:54 am

Think small.™

:twisted:
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby call-me-DD » May 26th, 2007, 5:15 am

i like the details in there :)

you are great :)

i'm just a beginner in graphics... i don't understand a hell how you did that wood effect...

anyways its just great...

would like to add that the small round hole is missing in Ver.2...

hope you notice that...

and also reduce the size just a bit... i think if you reduce it to much... all the lovely details will be lost !

EDIT : also would like to see how an all wood (without that blue type thing) player looks like... i'm sure it will look damn cool ;)
i luv makin skins 4 xion :)
call-me-DD
Xion Supporter

Postby I.R. Brainiac » May 26th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Windowblinds skin shows why its got the blue-black parts.I might be able to get a mask to hide the inner X.So new to this,I havnt researched that yet.

The wood look you want is a layer style with texture and 6 layers of shines shadows and tweaks.(layer styles).Main trick I guess is not all layers use the same global lighting.Some are much closer to 90 degrees.than say the ps default of 30.(altitude)

Another thing is almost none of the styles use normal blend modes...which is tough to convert to a XIon skin because they display as normal when in use. :lol:

Last edited by I.R. Brainiac on May 26th, 2007, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxstyles.com
I.R. Brainiac
Xion Supporter

Postby call-me-DD » May 26th, 2007, 9:31 pm

I.R. Brainiac Wrote:The wood look you want is a layer style with texture and 6 layers of shines shadows and tweaks.(layer styles).Main trick I guess is not all layers use the same global lighting.Some are much closer to 90 degrees.than say the ps default of 30.(altitude)

if i knew that much... i would have done it before you :P

anyways... didn't understand much... leave it...

but its an awesome looking skin you got there...

also... try 2 change the minimize, restore, close buttons in your WB skin... i think it could be better...

also i'm waiting to try out ur Xion skin... hurry up :P
i luv makin skins 4 xion :)
call-me-DD
Xion Supporter

Postby I.R. Brainiac » May 26th, 2007, 9:37 pm

yeah,those buttons are my least favorite thing about the blind. :lol:
Maxstyles.com
I.R. Brainiac
Xion Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Skin Discussion