Xion Audio Player

Save last skin settings

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby nicholass » September 26th, 2006, 5:54 pm

Hello, is it possible in Xion to save the last skin settings when you use action_layer_switch? I hope you understand what I mean :)
//Nicholas
nicholass
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » September 26th, 2006, 6:14 pm

nicholass Wrote:Hello, is it possible in Xion to save the last skin settings when you use action_layer_switch? I hope you understand what I mean

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I've been thinking about what I should do for this and I've come up with a number of things that I will try.

Most likely I will save the visibility state of each of the layers for the current skin. I will have to see how well this works as the skins follow special states for performing all of these functions, however I'll give it a go and I will see how well it works.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby PK » October 1st, 2006, 12:33 am

Hi :-)

If you could incorporate this that would be great indeed. Only way to make it possible to have some custom "settings" (shadows, certain colours etc) for skins :-)

Another feature request: would it be possible to toggle multiple layer sets (id's) with one button (and if I missed something that's already there: how?! ;-))?

PK
PK
Xion Supporter

Postby Nightbreed » October 1st, 2006, 1:38 am

Shadows are usually embeded in the graphics. But I've been messing around with just doing a separate shadow layer instead. With that, perhaps there would be some type of user adjustment that could be made some how.

And a color tint option with hue and saturation would be cool. But I think it would actually look best on layers that have transparent backrounds. Buttons and such would be a good example. Much in the way DesktopX handles it's tinting.

I've also been messing around with color swatches for the main player body. Still working the how's out though. It basically would give users a choice of body colors without having to load an entirely new interface.

Hope all that made sense ;)
If it aint broke, fix it anyway. You may do it better.
Nightbreed
Xion Supporter

Postby nicholass » October 1st, 2006, 2:54 am

The reason that I want to be able to save skin settings is because then you could use action_layer_switch for color themes or viz themes or stuff like that :)
//Nicholas
nicholass
Xion Supporter

Postby PK » October 1st, 2006, 3:21 am

Nightbreed Wrote:Shadows are usually embeded in the graphics. But I've been messing around with just doing a separate shadow layer instead. With that, perhaps there would be some type of user adjustment that could be made some how.

I just have a couple of shadow layers and toggle trough them with action_layer_switch.

Nightbreed Wrote:I've also been messing around with color swatches for the main player body. Still working the how's out though. It basically would give users a choice of body colors without having to load an entirely new interface.

Same here, but as xion doesnt save layer styles (irritating if you reload the skin and the default colour is there again) I have multiple psd's, each with it's own colour variation, and load them from a little menu.
PK
Xion Supporter

Postby Nightbreed » October 1st, 2006, 4:21 am

so, what about simi-transparent color overlay layers for swatches?

I know this is off topic as far as saving settings, but I figure since the swatch thing came up....

But, yeah, saving the settings would be a huge plus. :)

I'm trying to visualize how he would impliment this. Would Xion have to set these in the psd file itself for saving?

Meaning, if a setting was made.. it's basically turning on or off a layer. So the player would have to set that in the psd file itself and repackage it, right?
Nightbreed
Xion Supporter

Postby PK » October 1st, 2006, 4:26 am

Oh thats what I use (I'll show the skin in some days). Just some alphablended layers as it is a pain to recolour ~50 layers...
PK
Xion Supporter

Postby Nightbreed » October 1st, 2006, 5:31 am

I tell ya, the skinning part is easy.. but can get quite complex when ya get really involved...lol
Nightbreed
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 1st, 2006, 9:49 am

Hi PK. Welcome to the Xion Community!

PK Wrote:Another feature request: would it be possible to toggle multiple layer sets (id's) with one button (and if I missed something that's already there: how?! ;-))?

Currently there is no such way to do this, however I will support for a comma separated list for the next release, how does that sound? :wink:

E.g: modify(layer1,layer2,layer3) action_layer_hide

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby PK » October 1st, 2006, 10:47 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:E.g: modify(layer1,layer2,layer3) action_layer_hide

That would be perfect.

This is the skin I've made, has some colour variations linked from a little menu:
http://www.customize.org/details/47073

Question: At first the various skins in the "skin selecting menu" had mouse over and down states. I had to remove these though as Xion crashed as soon as I came any place close to them with my mouse cursor.. I reckon that's a bug?

Another question: For now it is not possible to have animation (VU etc) on the "slideout" parts cause it is impossible to hide them, would it be an idea to be able to put an id() on layer sets so one can hide/show them?
PK
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 2nd, 2006, 7:17 am

Wow, you've done some amazing work with that skin! Well done!

PK Wrote:Question: At first the various skins in the "skin selecting menu" had mouse over and down states. I had to remove these though as Xion crashed as soon as I came any place close to them with my mouse cursor.. I reckon that's a bug?

Yes, that definately sounds like a bug. Could you send me a copy of the skin that is causing these crashes? Please use the Contact page -> http://xion.r2.com.au/index.php?page=contact

PK Wrote:Another question: For now it is not possible to have animation (VU etc) on the "slideout" parts cause it is impossible to hide them, would it be an idea to be able to put an id() on layer sets so one can hide/show them?

Yes this sounds like a good idea. I will have to add support for doing this, thanks!

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby PK » October 2nd, 2006, 8:18 am

Thanks, it's mostly due to the ease of skinning Xion though ;-)

I did not save the buggy version of the skin, but I'll try to recreate the bug.
PK
Xion Supporter

Postby PK » October 2nd, 2006, 8:40 am

ok, instead of recreating the bug I just write down the layers + problems:

This is for the Mytilus Edulis skin I linked above, it's the dropdown menu on the bottom. First of all I have a layerset (sdo) that is shown with a set of buttons. This works fine:
    button_over modify(sdo) action_layer_show
    button_normal modify(sdo) action_layer_show
    button_down id(sdo) modify(sdo) action_layer_show
When loaded it can be hide with the following buttons (also become visible with the sdo layer):
    button_over id(sdo) modify(sdo) action_layer_hide
    button_normal id(sdo) modify(sdo) action_layer_hide
Notice that I don't have a _down state here, with a _down state it just doesn't seem to work as it sticks to the _down state when I move the mouse of the skin (the button is the outer most part of the skin here)

On the sdo layer I have some loadinterface buttons (just showing one here):
    loadinterface(mt_happy_apple) id(sdo) dontreposition

If I use _over, _normal and _down states with the loadinterface Xion shows all three states when sdo is set to action_layer_show (so apparently loadinterface buttons have different behaviour as normal buttons?) and often (sorry for not being more specific) crashes when I hover over them.

Slightly related to this:
A nice feature would be to be able to embed all this stuff in a photoshop layer set; making everything in this group linked (hide/show) to eachother with the need for only one id() (in the layer set). This would make it very easy to create menu's / skin states and even colour variations without difficult linking and renaming.
PK
Xion Supporter

Return to General Skin Discussion