Xion Audio Player

Will someone please tell me why passthrough not working

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby deema » April 4th, 2014, 4:37 pm

I am in the middle of making this desktop visualizer. There are a few stand alone flash vis and one big Xion one in this vid demo. The problem is that the large light flashes are a trans_volume and animation layer in the Xion psd. I used the following lines of keywords for each. I am however unable to click through the layers in the actual player, and even more, they are dragged by the mouse, without the moveable keyword set. Any help would be great cause I have several interactive elements that I place below the vis layer (not in vid) and I cannot interact with them without the passthrough working. Thanks in advance.

passthrough animtype(16) trans_volumet
also tried
animtype(16) trans_volumet passthrough

and set passthrough on animation group layer, all nothing working

and for the vis layer i put

trans_volumet passthrough
and
passthrough trans_volumet

and nothin doing on this layer either.

Am I missing something? Cause I have done this before and it worked just fine

The new cube I wish to use is also a real-time interactive flash visualizer and I am unable to click it which is killin my plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TUyTHKnw10

Splinter, Anything Can Be Anything

Blood type O Negative, I bleed zeros and ones
deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » April 4th, 2014, 9:51 pm

I just did some testing...it seems that if Xion can't find a "moveable" keyword in your PSD layers, it will automatically make the bottom most layer moveable, regardless of "passthrough".

To avoid this, simply create a BLANK layer below everything and name that "moveable". Because there are no pixels, it can't actually be moved, but it satisfies Xion.

I guess this was just a fail-safe Cliff included, which is a very good one really. Your circumstance is rare, but that should solve it!
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby deema » April 5th, 2014, 4:15 am

Lance Wrote:I just did some testing...it seems that if Xion can't find a "moveable" keyword in your PSD layers, it will automatically make the bottom most layer moveable, regardless of "passthrough".

To avoid this, simply create a BLANK layer below everything and name that "moveable". Because there are no pixels, it can't actually be moved, but it satisfies Xion.

I guess this was just a fail-safe Cliff included, which is a very good one really. Your circumstance is rare, but that should solve it!

Thanks Lance, you are the man.

EDIT..... OH NO, didnt work. Passthrough layers still dont pass through and blank moveable layer ddnt stop it from being dragged....grrrr....will attempt some more...something. Can you take a look at the psd if I upload it? It will be a bit odd cause without flash and splinter but issues still present. Thanks either way for effort.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwcytk61pihmh5c/mau5viz_issue.zip

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby deema » April 5th, 2014, 3:16 pm

Edit--- I cannot get passthrough to work, at all, with any skin. Unless am I understanding wrong and I would not be able to click through the player onto the desktop below? I even tried a two layer skin with blank moveable on bottom and a gradient 40% passthrough layer and still could not access below and it is still moveable even though layer is blank..

I think it is giving passthrough the moveable parameter.

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 5th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Passthrough simply refers to the skin layers and the input will pass through them. It won't however keep going through the Xion window and onto your desktop. It will stop with the Xion window.

Cliff
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » April 6th, 2014, 1:23 am

Ohh you're trying to click through to the desktop? Yeah like Cliff said, that's not how it works sadly. Could be an interesting feature, if at all possible.

@Cliff Am I remembering correctly that you recently implemented a feature that auto-adds moveable to certain layers? I recall a discussion regarding a lot of skins having no moveable parts and sort of remember you adding in a fail-safe of sorts. I checked the release notes and couldn't find anything. Imagining it perhaps?

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby deema » April 6th, 2014, 3:14 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:Passthrough simply refers to the skin layers and the input will pass through them. It won't however keep going through the Xion window and onto your desktop. It will stop with the Xion window.

Cliff

Oh, man, thanks, Cliff, I see. Hmm, bit of a bummer, that changes things. So any part of the screen that, at any "point" in the player has a pixel used by Xion, it will always be considered part of Xion and, therefore, not click through?

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby deema » April 7th, 2014, 11:59 am

Aight, so, I just put the minimze keyword on the trans_vol layers that I want to click through. Not perfect solution but it is a workable one. Without it, it would be nothing more than a visualizer and player, only, which is cool and all, but not super bomb diggidy, like it is, now

edit... but wait, actually, what about the moveable function when it is not wanted? How can I pin it in place? thx

Another sample. Lance, of course, is the man responsible for the cheese head....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcGX3Wyygoc

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » April 7th, 2014, 2:40 pm

deema Wrote:edit... but wait, actually, what about the moveable function when it is not wanted? How can I pin it in place? thx

That trick I mentioned earlier with a blank moveable layer at the bottom should solve just that.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby deema » April 7th, 2014, 3:19 pm

Lance Wrote:
deema Wrote:edit... but wait, actually, what about the moveable function when it is not wanted? How can I pin it in place? thx

That trick I mentioned earlier with a blank moveable layer at the bottom should solve just that.

Does not work on all skins, apparently. I don't know what variables would contribute to it not, but I even created a two layer skin, top one passthrough gradient, bottom a fully alpha moveable layer. The skin still moves. It must be passthrough picking it up? I guess I dont need passthrough now so will attempt without the keyword

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » April 8th, 2014, 2:29 am

deema Wrote:
Lance Wrote:

Does not work on all skins, apparently. I don't know what variables would contribute to it not, but I even created a two layer skin, top one passthrough gradient, bottom a fully alpha moveable layer. The skin still moves. It must be passthrough picking it up? I guess I dont need passthrough now so will attempt without the keyword

Aye try without passthrough. You could also create a generic button over everything with 0% opacity (NOT blank - just a huge square or something) as that will stop anything getting through. The button will work of course but it won't do anything. Maybe use it as your minimize you said you included?

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 12th, 2014, 11:55 am

deema Wrote:Oh, man, thanks, Cliff, I see. Hmm, bit of a bummer, that changes things. So any part of the screen that, at any "point" in the player has a pixel used by Xion, it will always be considered part of Xion and, therefore, not click through?

If the pixel is greater than 0 alpha, then yes. Otherwise it will fall through to the desktop (As it's not part of the window)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 12th, 2014, 12:12 pm

Lance Wrote:@Cliff Am I remembering correctly that you recently implemented a feature that auto-adds moveable to certain layers? I recall a discussion regarding a lot of skins having no moveable parts and sort of remember you adding in a fail-safe of sorts. I checked the release notes and couldn't find anything. Imagining it perhaps?

Yes, basically if no moveable layers are found, then Xion just chooses the bottom most layer in the layer list and makes it moveable. This was added back in 15/02/2012 to ensure that old skins functioned correctly.
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby deema » May 24th, 2014, 1:31 am

Thanks, Cliff and Lance. On a further note to this, passthrough acts as moveable on all of my full screen skins

deema
Xion Supporter

Return to General Skin Discussion