Xion Audio Player

Beta vs. Official

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby ALAS » March 13th, 2007, 7:23 am

Hey Cliff,

first of all A BIG APPLAUSE for the marvelous XION!

I just finished and sent my first skin for it to you (Tactual-Encapsulated) and it was really a dream to do so. What your fantasy spits out Xion makes it possible! Really out of this world-Great!

Nevertheless I have a recommendation concerning the Beta thing. I had a look at the vivid discussion, which has really good ideas there and saw that Cliff tries to satisfy everyone, so there are obviously Beta versions with good new features (confess i never tried them).
The problem is (for me) that I want to have the skins I made compatible with the version most people use and that´s the official (build 58) downloadable version. I´d like to use some mega-good-important features like tag display, modfy(x,y,z), safe_state (I didn´t get it runnning no matter what I tried) etc..

So what I would suggest is to take one of the semi-stabile running beta-versions and make it the official one - regardless of bugs, build 58 is completely ok though having some bugs.

curious what others think
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » March 13th, 2007, 7:54 am

i believe Cliff is working on pretty much the last fixes that we found in beta 76 tail end of 75, dont think thers anything new going into Xion at this point
we're all anxious to get the next official release too but I'm sure Cliff wouldnt want to release it when there are some bugs that really do need to be fixed, wont be long tho i reckon as its been a few months since 1.58

the other thing is Xion also made a big change from using Fmodex to BASS sound libraries a few builds ago with heaps more formats supported, so the later few buillds are to tie any loose ends up, thers bound to be the odd bug here and there which is inevitable with software but obviously minimising them is key at this point imo esp just before the next major release

its gonna be worth the wait and of course we're all bound to find more bugs and thers already a list of feature requests as long as your arm for the next releases heh
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » March 13th, 2007, 12:47 pm

ALAS Wrote:Hey Cliff,

first of all A BIG APPLAUSE for the marvelous XION!

I just finished and sent my first skin for it to you (Tactual-Encapsulated) and it was really a dream to do so. What your fantasy spits out Xion makes it possible! Really out of this world-Great!

Nevertheless I have a recommendation concerning the Beta thing. I had a look at the vivid discussion, which has really good ideas there and saw that Cliff tries to satisfy everyone, so there are obviously Beta versions with good new features (confess i never tried them).
The problem is (for me) that I want to have the skins I made compatible with the version most people use and that´s the official (build 58) downloadable version. I´d like to use some mega-good-important features like tag display, modfy(x,y,z), safe_state (I didn´t get it runnning no matter what I tried) etc..

So what I would suggest is to take one of the semi-stabile running beta-versions and make it the official one - regardless of bugs, build 58 is completely ok though having some bugs.

curious what others think

Hi ALAS,

Thanks for the great comments, I'm happy to hear you are enjoying using Xion!

To answer your question, yes a new Release build of Xion is nearing completion. I am just trying to nail as many bugs as possible so that there are as few problems as possible. Unfortunately moving over to the BASS sound engine has thrown back the release a bit while I stabilize the code, but it definitely seems to be settling down.

I'm currently working on fixing some bugs to do with the skin system and then once those are done it should be almost ready for a release.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby ALAS » March 14th, 2007, 7:09 am

SLoB Wrote:...we're all anxious to get the next official release...

... me too :D

Cliff: ... didn´t know you´re so close to the new release ...
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » March 14th, 2007, 12:48 pm

ALAS Wrote:
SLoB Wrote:...we're all anxious to get the next official release...

... me too :D

Cliff: ... didn´t know you´re so close to the new release ...

Well yes, there have been more than 150 fixed/additions and I would really like to get another release out. The Beta builds have been coming along steadily so I think its almost time for a new public release :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Return to General Skin Discussion