Xion Audio Player

fading

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby KEV-O » June 10th, 2007, 2:37 pm

I'm a little confused about the fade between normal and _over state. It seems like if normal and _over were fading in and out at the same rate, there would never be any transparency, since when "normal" is at 30% gone, the "_over" is 70% faded in. However, there is a brief moment where you can see right through the object, which is very unattractive in certain places in skins. Is there a reason behind this, or might this be a bug?
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » June 10th, 2007, 10:02 pm

ha, i came across this very feature some while ago (think it was in Torsion as the buttons were big), as for a bug, on the merit of it being a bug i think you might be correct however as those are probably the only layers declared then Xion is doing exactly the right thing, it takes no account for undefined layers for buttons which is correct behaviour imo
.... is easily remedied by the below workaround

the only thing that can fix it is to have a base button underneath which does not fade away, this way your button never fades completely away but only to a base state which as you said you would only see for a brief moment in time which is more acceptable than seeing nothing
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby KEV-O » June 10th, 2007, 11:27 pm

yeah, I've been putting extra layers under my buttons, but some things like _over states on sliderbits can't use that work-around. It's not a big deal by any means, but it seems like one of those little things that should be fixed. It would be more professional for the skinner, rather than having to do 'work arounds'.
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby Cliff Cawley » June 11th, 2007, 9:55 am

KEV-O Wrote:yeah, I've been putting extra layers under my buttons, but some things like _over states on sliderbits can't use that work-around. It's not a big deal by any means, but it seems like one of those little things that should be fixed. It would be more professional for the skinner, rather than having to do 'work arounds'.

Yes, I've seen this behaviour several times and each time I investigate, I find that its doing the correct thing, its just a visual problem.

If you have any suggestions about any workarounds, I'd be happy to try them out.

Currently I can think of perhaps not fading out the _normal until the _over is at 50% or more?

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby KEV-O » June 11th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Yeah, thats exactly what i was going to suggest. I don't really know anything about coding, but it seems like if you had the _over state begin the fade at 25% instead of 0% it might work out. Or something along those lines.
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby ALAS » July 27th, 2007, 12:09 am

have that problem of a short moment of transparency between _down and _over.
Tried to make some _over state to hide the track window when mouse over to show and control CButtons. No workaround gave good results.

Cliff Cawley Wrote:Yes, I've seen this behaviour several times and each time I investigate, I find that its doing the correct thing, its just a visual problem.

I think the reason is that 50%+50% are not 100% (also in PS). If you make 2 identical layers each 50% there´s still some transparency...
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby I.R. Brainiac » July 27th, 2007, 8:51 am

how about button_normal always visible tag?_over image would just stack on top?

I've been doing underlayers for backing but they add to the layer count if you dont merge them to the background later...and then you cant decide to move the button later.

DOH! :lol:
Maxstyles.com
I.R. Brainiac
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 27th, 2007, 10:01 am

I.R. Brainiac Wrote:how about button_normal always visible tag?_over image would just stack on top?

This is should be fine. The reason I faded out the normal buttons is because your _over button may be a different shape and you don't want the _normal button to show underneath.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby I.R. Brainiac » July 27th, 2007, 12:17 pm

Thats what I figured...leaves room for more shape options. :D
Maxstyles.com
I.R. Brainiac
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » July 27th, 2007, 6:35 pm

yea morphing button shapes ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ALAS » July 27th, 2007, 9:09 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:[
This is should be fine. The reason I faded out the normal buttons is because your _over button may be a different shape and you don't want the _normal button to show underneath.

we´re talking about diverse details now, but mean basically the same. In each case a layer is faded out and another is faded in there is that moment of transparency (also at aclahide/aclashow). I think what would satisfy all needs and might be not TOO much of new coding would be:

leave everything like it is now but: delay ALL fading-out events, and start ALL fading-in events at let´s say 20%. Then, transparent moments would be avoided in each case, morphing if wanted was still possible and if people want the _normal mode to show in _over they just have to copy it to the _over layer...
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby pickle » July 28th, 2007, 1:56 am

How about changing the type of fade out? I imagine it's a linear progression now - how about experimenting with exponential/quadratic/logarithmic progression?
pickle
Xion Admirer

Return to General Skin Discussion