Xion Audio Player

Design Topics/Workshop idea

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Interested in participating in Design Topics/Workshop

yes
100%
no
No votes
silly idea (bound to be someone who chooses this option ;) )
No votes
I know it all, there isn't anything I can learn (now what did I say bout Ego? ;))
No votes

Total votes : 14

Postby SLoB » July 11th, 2007, 7:59 am

Thought I'd drop this topic in

I would like to start a series of design threads/ideas/discussions over the course of the next few months and want to get some feedback on if you guys would welcome/participate in such things. We have a small knit community here at the Xion forums and it's growing as more and more people see the potential.

As we all love to Skin for/with Xion and Xion has made skinning a much less daunting task to create skins I feel that we should also discuss design. This won't be a class type thing, (I'm no teacher) but I do want to learn more about design and design principles to further knowledge and create better interfaces. Just because Xion makes it easier to skin doesn't mean we should think less of designing UI's

This would probably work well as a workshop type thing (but is open for discussion), for example where we have a goal and we discuss thought processes, ideas, workflow, creation, design, design principles etc...

Those participating would also each work on the same goal idea and we compare the end results, not looking for ego stuff here!!, anyone with ego issues might as well stop reading this now, this is for people who want/would like to learn more and discuss how they ended up with the results they achieved and if we as a group can learn from each others techniques/thought processes/skillsets in creating Skins/following design principles etc..

of course as a community its open for discussion, I would like to think I can encourage discussion on topics such as this

I'll bosh this up as a poll initially, if you want to also add topics that are of interest to you or you would like to see something covered then please add them

I'll discuss this idea further with Cliff but I'm sure you guys would like to get involved somehow with this idea, so get posting ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ForceField » July 12th, 2007, 5:36 am

Yes, :D I like the idea and I have no problem sharing what I know. :wink:
ForceField
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » July 26th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Only 8, surely we have more people interested? ;)
Very soon will start the series, will try to keep things brief so there is room for discussion, we will start off with some simple idea/concepts and discuss the pros/cons, there will also be a workshop for the 1st discussion where we all have a go at the topic in question
we will be discussing and also doing some workshops in the following:-
design ideas/principles, shape, layout, sketches, textures, coloring (including colour schemes such as triadic, monochrome, analogous, paired complements etc...), lighting, perspective, shadowing, ps tips/tricks plus many more
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby shad0wF0x » July 26th, 2007, 7:19 pm

I'd love to learn from you guys too, and join in with discussions concerning the design of UI: incl. layout, usability, colour theory and meaning.

Workshopping is a great idea, SLoB.
...so many pixels, so little time...
shad0wF0x
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » July 26th, 2007, 10:21 pm

cool shad0wF0x :)

I'd also like to point out that the discussions/ideas/workshops are also part of the community so if anyone wants to discuss anything in particular or has any advice on improving this idea as we go along your more than welcome, it will be down to you guys providing feedback on what we could do to help or provide more information on etc..
we won't be able to please everyone but will try so that everyone has the chance to get something out of this
hopefully after say 2 thread discussions we can get a feedback on some general information of say
- did you learn anything you did not already know
- was the information comprehensive
- was it a friendly atmosphere/experience
- would you like more and what could we do to make it better

there will be more questions but generally trying to get a feel of how we can improve upon the previous ideas inline for the next batch, i think by a couple of these sessions it should be clear to everyone the direction it sort of takes initially but it is open to the community to shape this course so to speak so that everyone gets something out of it
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ForceField » July 27th, 2007, 5:43 am

Hmm! SLoB, you are using the "Divide and conquer" concept! it's a good idea! :D

We can also post some links of great tutorials sites just to help.
ForceField
Xion Admirer

Postby skryingbreath » July 27th, 2007, 6:48 am

I know everything.
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » July 27th, 2007, 7:29 am

well there is no room for you skry or your head lol ;)
can only fit in so much through the door ;) heh
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby skryingbreath » July 27th, 2007, 8:34 am

Then I'll start my own workshop! With Blackjack! and hookers!

Aaaah, I'm outta juice. Good idea, I'm for it.
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby MrElusive » July 28th, 2007, 12:51 pm

haha.. very nice futurama reference there. I also think it's gunna be a good idea. I mean if anything this will at least reinforce the community even moreso than it is at it's current state right now. :P
MrElusive
Xion Supporter

Return to General Skin Discussion