Xion Audio Player

Rewind shouldn't skip to prev. track and scrubbing

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby White Rabbit » October 3rd, 2006, 4:22 am

Okay, this is a small thing but I like the functionality that most player have where hitting the rewind button one time would cause the track to simply go back to the start, and only if you click rewind button again, then it would skip to the previous track. Right now with Xion, if I want to start teh track from the beginning I have to stop it and play it again.

Also, would it be possible to add (I think it's called) scrubbing, where holding the FF or RW button "plays" the track at a faster speed forward or backwards?

WR

P.S. Also, how about an indicator for volume level, i.e. a numeric one.
White Rabbit
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 3rd, 2006, 6:32 am

White Rabbit Wrote:Okay, this is a small thing but I like the functionality that most player have where hitting the rewind button one time would cause the track to simply go back to the start, and only if you click rewind button again, then it would skip to the previous track. Right now with Xion, if I want to start teh track from the beginning I have to stop it and play it again.

You should be able to just press the play button to make it start again. On cd players that i've looked into, it seems that the only reason they have a previous button that skips to the start and then back a track, is because they don't have a play button. On players that have a play button, the play button handles this, and back seems to go back a track. I can add this as an option if you like for the next release :)

White Rabbit Wrote:Also, would it be possible to add (I think it's called) scrubbing, where holding the FF or RW button "plays" the track at a faster speed forward or backwards?
This should be possible, however have you tried using the progress bar? The term scrubbing comes from dragging that around. You'll notice that as you 'scrub' the progress bar, the song gets instantly updated. Is this what you are after, or do you mean that you want the FF and RW buttons to actually speed up the playback to say 2x, 4x, 8x, etc ?

White Rabbit Wrote:P.S. Also, how about an indicator for volume level, i.e. a numeric one.

Sure, what values do you think it should go from/to to represent the volume?

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby White Rabbit » October 3rd, 2006, 7:41 am

Okay, about the first issue: I didn't realize that the play button had that functionality, however I do usually prefer skins that have the pause/play buttons in "toggle" mode, i.e. one replaces the other. I would still prefer it if you could add that functionality but if there is a big outcry against it I'll live. :)

Second issue: yeah I noticed that functionality however, in many skins the trackbar is small and it's hard to drag it at a constant speed. I basically use the scrubbing when I need to find a specific location on a long track (like a podcast) and I find that using the FF/RW buttons is more reliable and accurate than the track bar.

In regards to numeric volume indicator I think that from 0 to 100 is a good, common range. :)

Cheers
WR
White Rabbit
Xion Supporter

Return to General Skin Discussion