Xion Audio Player

How do you create VU Meters?!?

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby Infind » October 4th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Hello all,
Can someone shed some light on how to create VU Meters such as in the skin "Overlay Bar"?

Ive done a ton of searching but came up empty... any help would be greatly appreciated

ty -infind
Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 4th, 2006, 11:23 pm

yea theyr real easy Infind
basically you determine the amount of control over how smooth the animation is by the number of layers,pixels moved
for example creating a layer set with 10 layers will loop over that many and provide a relatively smoothish appearance
i had a brief look at the overlay bar and this is real simple

not much point in doing too many layers for a small vu but the bigger the vu then you might want to think of increasing the amount of frames

reference the syntax page for the exact animation layer title
lets say we have a left vu of 10 pixels wide by 100 pixels high and 10 frames of animation
start off by creating a layerset and a layer, rename the layer by the looks to anything, altho the default uses Left/RightLeveln (n being number) and select a block of the size above, fill it with a colour, clone the layer and crop off 10 pixels from the top of the layer, keep repeating that until your down to zero, obviously renaming your layer 10,9,8,7 etc...
the direction can be added with the params in the syntax page and, if you want a background layer underneath the vu's to create the space and look as tho a vu is ther then just do a basic layer underneath with the shape etc...

clone the layer set and change the type 4 for the right and there is your set of vus

hopefully that lot made sense

Cliff if your reading this, can we use a button to turn off the vus at any point? as the vus are hidden anyways but is ther a way to turn them on/off?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Infind » October 5th, 2006, 8:47 am

SICK!!!! you rock :)

had alil trouble at first cause I didnt have my layers in the animation layer set but once I got it all sorted out it worked like a charm.

thanks again!
-infind
Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 5th, 2006, 11:07 pm

SLoB Wrote:Cliff if your reading this, can we use a button to turn off the vus at any point? as the vus are hidden anyways but is ther a way to turn them on/off?

Yes, I will have to look into supporting this.

I'll let you know once its in.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Return to General Skin Discussion