Xion Audio Player

Upload Question

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby zziggy » September 27th, 2008, 6:14 am

hey guys, i just have one question, what's the maximum upload size of a skin allowed if there is such a limit? i have a 14mb skin, is this ok?

thanx,
zziggy
zziggy
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » September 27th, 2008, 9:21 am

lol 14mb, u got the kitchen sink in there?

you might want to merge some layers and optimise the skin a bit, 14mb is err kind of on the large side, is it full screen to be taking up that much?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby zziggy » September 27th, 2008, 1:39 pm

hey SLob,

actually a kinda "kitchen sinkd" the animations on this one :lol:

the skin was actually 20mb before i resized it down to 14mb, i tried to upload it earlier today, and it seemed like it finished uploading it, but not sure if it actually completed, and it didn't show up on the skin page... so i'm just wondering if it was a size issue. in fact, i uploaded it earlier this week at wincustomize if u wanna take a look at it, here's the link

http://zziggy.wincustomize.com/skins.as ... 3&libid=67

thanx
zziggy
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » September 27th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Hi zziggy
Have dl'd, will take a look over the weekend, Cliff probably won't be back till after the weekend so there may be some delay, possible timeout on the upload? not sure

I will check to see if u can reduce it further quickly, there has to be some way of reducing it a bit more
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby zziggy » October 2nd, 2008, 11:59 am

Hi SLoB,

I just tried to upload again, it could be the size of the skin, i can try to resize the psd a bit more, make him a little bit smaller, please let me know if this is the case...

thanx
zziggy
zziggy
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 2nd, 2008, 6:12 pm

Hi zziggy, 20mb might be a bit large. The script will time out after a period of time. It it takes longer for your connection to upload, than the time allowed, it will not be successful.

Are you sure there's nothing you can do to optimize the skin? Is this the size after its been zipped?

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » October 3rd, 2008, 4:33 am

the psd is 20mb Cliff and 14 zipped

I took a look at the skin and i can see some ways of really reducing it BUT and a BIG BUT, it would require a lot of work, its mainly using the same base image for all the movements and this could be made so the middle sections (body stuff) never moves and its just the outer parts of it that move around but to redo it like that would take some while, other than that thers no other reasonable way to reduce it other than reducing size/animations/colours etc..

what connection are you on zziggy?
might be best if Cliff can grab the version from your link and upload it from his end onto the ftp and bosh the link in that way
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby zziggy » October 3rd, 2008, 1:29 pm

Hi guys!

i resized it down to 11mb zipped, which took approx 4-5 minutes to upload at roughly 41 kb/sec.... but i guess it still timed out on me. i really like the size of 11mb, and i don't think he should get any smaller, in fact i might update the wincustomize one cuz i like the new smaller size of 11mb better.. if you guys are going to grab the wincustomize link and upload via ftp from cliff's end, i'd like to update it first with the smaller version before you grab it, if in fact this is what u plan to do.. i really appreciate all this..... ok, let me know what's next

thanx
zziggy =)
zziggy
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 3rd, 2008, 1:32 pm

zziggy Wrote:Hi guys!

i resized it down to 11mb zipped, which took approx 4-5 minutes to upload at roughly 41 kb/sec.... but i guess it still timed out on me. i really like the size of 11mb, and i don't think he should get any smaller, in fact i might update the wincustomize one cuz i like the new smaller size of 11mb better.. if you guys are going to grab the wincustomize link and upload via ftp from cliff's end, i'd like to update it first with the smaller version before you grab it, if in fact this is what u plan to do.. i really appreciate all this..... ok, let me know what's next

thanx
zziggy =)

Sure, just get it uploaded somewhere and I'll ftp it. Use the Contact page above ^ to let me know the link to download :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Return to General Skin Discussion