Xion Audio Player

Need help with animation + indi

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby Infind » October 9th, 2006, 8:35 am

Is it possible to have an animation start once the play button is pressed (or music is playing)? and if so... how is it done?

many thanks in advance :)

-infind
Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 9th, 2006, 8:40 am

you might wanna read some of the posts on the forum ;) and the layer reference
try modify(yourlayerid) anim_layer_play
or your looking for vu if wanting to catch the music, thought you got your vu working in the end?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Infind » October 9th, 2006, 9:13 am

SLoB Wrote:you might wanna read some of the posts on the forum ;) and the layer reference
- I did but I guess I didnt look hard enough :wink:

thought you got your vu working in the end?
- I did. That animation is linked to the left and right speaker volume with animtype(x)... I was just looking for a way to have an animation play when someone hit play or a song was playing

sorry but im drawing a blank right now on what to do with "modify(yourlayerid) anim_layer_play"

can you be alil more specific?
Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 9th, 2006, 9:14 am

stick that on your play button, in all 3 states normal, down & over :)
yourlayerid is wotever id youve given to the layer set you need to run
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Infind » October 9th, 2006, 9:32 am

ok so I added "modify(yourlayerid) anim_layer_play" to my play button in all states

what do name the animation layer set?
Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby Infind » October 9th, 2006, 11:33 am

bump for some help :(
Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 9th, 2006, 11:04 pm

no need to bump, altho its pretty obvious, i put in the id in the modify

wotever id(blah) you set to a layer, when you modify it you have to call it with modify(blah) so you tell the engine you want to change that layer/layer set

you can call it wotever u like but if you want some clarity within the psd then say if its for vu stuff then perhaps

yourlayerset id(vu) --ie your layer set title plus its anim type etc...

then on the play button for each state

play_over modify(vu) anim_layer_play
play_normal modify(vu) anim_layer_play
play_down modify(vu) anim_layer_play

cant make it any simpler than that and ule kick yourself once it sinks in ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Infind » October 10th, 2006, 6:13 am

to the best of my knowledge ive done everything you said and its still not working...

I created a new layerset and labeled it "animation id(spin) animtype(0)"

I then created a few layers within that set and named them "whatever"(correct me if im wrong but, does it matter what theyre called?)

then I added "modify(spin) anim_layer_play" to my play buttons

when I start up xion, the animation starts right away :cry: (havent pressed play yet)

Maybe im doing something wrong or maybe I havent been clear on what my goal was... but to clarify... I want the animation to start only when music is playing and stop when there is no music. I was originally hoping to achieve this with indi_play?

Forgive me for being a pain but I feel that if I dont ask questions then ill never learn. I greatly appreciate all your help
Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 10th, 2006, 7:06 am

checkout the toggle button workaround in the skinning tricks thread, this will do wot ya want and use the same method on the play and stop buttons to modify the new anim type , that new anim type will then control your animation and toggle it when stopped/played
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 10th, 2006, 8:19 am

Infind Wrote:then I added "modify(spin) anim_layer_play" to my play buttons

when I start up xion, the animation starts right away :cry: (havent pressed play yet)

What you are most likely wanting to do is to add "paused" to the layerset name.

So your new name would become "animation id(spin) paused animtype(0)" (NOTE: You don't need to specify animtype(0) as that is the default, so you can remove it so that your new layerset name is "animation id(spin) paused".)

The paused command is documented on -> http://xion.r2.com.au/index.php?page=layerref as "Will be paused at the start until another event, such as a click, triggers it."

Hope that helps,

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Infind » October 10th, 2006, 2:30 pm

SLoB - you orig said "try modify(yourlayerid) anim_layer_play"

I think you meant "action_anim_play" :wink:

ok so I managed to get it working.... but not 100% the way I want

Thanks to Cliff the animation no longer starts up when you open xion.

Im able to start the anim with the play button and stop it with the stop button, however... Is there a way to stop and start an animation with one button?

The reason I ask is because I would like to pause the anim with the pause button (which I can do with action_anim_stop) but when I hit pause again to resume the music, the anim wont start back up.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks again to SLoB and Cliff for taking the time to point me in the right dirrection. :thumright:
Infind
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 10th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Infind Wrote:Im able to start the anim with the play button and stop it with the stop button, however... Is there a way to stop and start an animation with one button?

The reason I ask is because I would like to pause the anim with the pause button (which I can do with action_anim_stop) but when I hit pause again to resume the music, the anim wont start back up.

Any ideas on what I can do?

At the moment there is no support in Xion for this, however I can add it for the next Beta release. Hoping to do so after i've added some more features and fixed some issues in the current Beta.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » October 10th, 2006, 6:12 pm

no worries m8, y slight mix up with the anim call ;) oops but at least you were paying attention ;) heheh
to your question of one button to stop and start, yes, the toggle button workaround works a treat, its in gbx for the VU and i posted the workaround in the skinning tricks thread, pull the idea from the psd if u want
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Return to General Skin Discussion