Xion Audio Player

Instant pitch/tempo changing

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Ilko » December 21st, 2008, 1:38 am

As the title says, the ability to change the pitch and the tempo separately while playing like AIMP. It could be "pitchlr" and "tempolr" or whatever..
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby WinstonGFX » December 21st, 2008, 6:29 am

What purpose would this serve?
WinstonGFX
Xion Admirer

Postby Ilko » December 21st, 2008, 6:36 am

I'm one of those who edits their mp3, so for exemple this ability will let me preview the effect instead of opening the editing software and load the mp3 files wich makes losing a lot of time.
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » December 21st, 2008, 6:55 am

There's a reason these kind of features aren't available on music players. They're rather unwieldy to implement into a regular sound player. It's possible, sure, but considering the little amount of people who would use this kind of features ( Bear in mind that it would also require a skin with appropriate buttons ), it doesn't look very likely to be added any time soon.

Best stick to your audio editing software. It tends to do a much better job.

Speaking of which, if you're editing something, why can't you play back the file immediately from within the software? I though all sound editing systems do that. At least Audacity and Goldwave allow such things. Audacity has no seeking though.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Ilko » December 21st, 2008, 7:19 am

As I said, it makes losing a lot of time because the software dont play the song before loading it (most of the time I edit about 10 files at the same time). You talked about that it will need new buttons in skins, sure, but it even could be natively integrated like the equalizer function. And you know, you shouldnt care about the amount of people who could use this function or not, I just asked for it because I like Xion.
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby WinstonGFX » December 21st, 2008, 8:08 am

Yeah, but the allure of Xion is that it is not "bloatware" filled with all sorts of worthless extras like other competing media players.
WinstonGFX
Xion Admirer

Postby Ilko » December 21st, 2008, 8:25 am

Sorry I dont understand the "bloatware" term and im not sure if I got what you mean
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » December 21st, 2008, 10:01 am

Xion is lean and mean ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Ilko » December 21st, 2008, 10:07 am

I prefer saying that Xion is so simple but so effective :)
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » December 21st, 2008, 8:51 pm

A quick Wiki search revealed the following:

Wikipedia Wrote:Software bloat, also known in noun form as bloatware or elephantware[1], is a term used in both a neutral and disparaging sense, to describe the tendency of newer computer programs to be larger, or to use larger amounts of system resources (mass storage space, processing power or memory) than necessary for the same or similar benefits from older versions to its users. Additionally, the term bloatware is used in common language for pre-installed, huge software bundles, mostly consisting of demos and trial ware.

What we are trying to say is, a feature that is virtually useless for most people has no real priority. Adding it and then discovering that only 1 skin implements this feature, and only 10 people use it, means that the feature is not 'cost-effective'.

I'm not one to trample on people's ideas that much, but really, you're doing something wrong if you use an external application to preview an audio clip you just edited in software particularly created for such a task.

What is it that you're using exactly? I know Goldwave has a speed up option in it's playback system. You edit / add an effect, it is automatically added into the digital format of the file and you can play it back instantly by selecting the point of playback in the track and hitting a key.

That method is even more effective than using Xion with the suggested feature having been added. Do consider it.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby xonenine » December 22nd, 2008, 12:57 am

I use this pitch feature occasionally in Virt DJ, and in that sense it's very usefull, but if I want to edit music, I dont open Xion. This is totally unecessary except as a toy plug in that someone can implement later. xonenine :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Ilko » December 22nd, 2008, 1:02 am

logokas I think you didnt get what I exactely mean. I dont want that Xion edit the files directly, but just pitch them up/down and also speed up/down the tempo while playing a song. Try AIMP audio player, this one does that. For the remainder I already explained it, previewing the effect while playing is faster than loading it by the editing software, wich is cool edit.
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » December 22nd, 2008, 3:53 am

I think you are the one who isn't getting the point here.

You say it's faster to preview, how on earth does that work when you open the file externally? When you make changes to audio via an editing program, the change should be audible in the same environment once the change is complete. It is not faster to do this externally, you would have to first save the file after the change has been made.

If you claim Cool Edit cannot do such a thing, you are clearly using inferior audio editing software.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Ilko » December 22nd, 2008, 5:39 am

logokas you still not understood. when I say "previewing the effect" its before editing the file itself by listening the possible result in Xion thats all.

Did you ever used an audio editing program ? I dont think so because its just impossible to "open a file externally", it needs to load the files because they are analyzed.
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » December 22nd, 2008, 8:04 am

And again, you are not understanding me. Apparently you haven't learned enough english to properly get my point.

I have used Goldwave and Audacity extensively to do all kinds of audio editing, including pitch, tempo changes, noise reduction, echo cancellation and so on and so forth. An audio editor should be well enough capable to provide you a 'preview' of an 'effect' without needing to use an external application for such a simple task, like you are requesting Xion to.

Fruthermore, Goldwave itself provides a quick preview of ALL effects before they are actually added. It is done on the fly as you choose your effect and proves to be useful when doing simple changes that need fine tuning.

If all you want this feature for, is to hear how a song sounds when it's sped up or slown down, then i'm afraid you're not being very professional.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Next

Return to Feature Requests