Xion Audio Player

[added: 110] Mute capability upgrades.

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Jikaru » March 11th, 2009, 4:50 am

as of right now, mute_normal, trans_volumel, trans_volumer, and possibly even vumetertreblelr, vumeterbasslr, vumeterbasslr and the opposing of those do not work on the same layer. For instance if I put on a layer name "mute_normal trans_volumel" only the mute_normal works even if its put like "trans_volumel mute_normal". Heres a screenshot of my setup:

1. I want both the functionality of the animated functions like trans_volume and mute_normal to work together on the same layer, so that when that layer with trans_volume is clicked if it also has mute_normal it will mute/unmute.

2. also while im on this subject of muting: I have this thing where if mute is active the indi_mute is a full red layer that is low opacity. But I don't like having the layer shown in photoshop and I continue to forget to show it cause its hard to work with it shown. So if you could (cause I know you can cause you do it with the over function) have the indi_mute, when activated, show in the skin even tho the layer is hidden?

3. one from my previous thread that got lost in the fray: A layer name to indicate mute is NOT on, indi_nomute.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » March 11th, 2009, 8:07 am

If you have a mute button that is shown thanks to volume, how are you going to unmute it? You can't see it anymore because there's no volume.

Think a bit before you start making obscure design elements, and make sure they fully work in theory before you start asking for implementation.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Jikaru » March 11th, 2009, 10:06 am

logokas read the whole post before you pile your shit in my yard. I have a layer that shows up when the music is muted (in number 2) and even without that the whole button (not just the trans_volume layer) is the mute button so that is still pressable, the reason why I want the two to work on the same layer is so that when, on accident usually and surprisingly quite often considering it is on the button itself, I press the button sometimes I press the part that is trans_volume'd which are the three sound indicators next to the speaker icon, then it wont mute and you have to procede to press the part that actually will mute. This is a rather good design implementation that provide that extra little bit of eye candy, and I want to improve upon it so that a piece that is trans_volume'd can be pressed to function along with other keywords such as mute_normal for instance...
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » March 11th, 2009, 10:23 am

OK there are work arounds for pretty much everything you've said here. I'll go through your numbers so you know what I'm talking about.

1. I want both the functionality of the animated functions like trans_volume and mute_normal to work together on the same layer, so that when that layer with trans_volume is clicked if it also has mute_normal it will mute/unmute.

I understand you perfectly here but this is a very strange request. Essentially what you want is to have a layer with trans_volume which also acts as a mute button yes? Well you can already achieve that by doing the following:

Create a layer above your trans_volume layer and make a shape the same size as your trans_volume layer. Set the opacity to 0%. This will be your invisiable button. Now just put the mute_normal on that layer instead. That's it.

It requires one more layer, no biggie at all. And because mute_normal is a button, you will be able to unmute it because buttons still work at 0% opacity. Combining animations with buttons will cause a whole lot of problems beyond this issue.

2. also while im on this subject of muting: I have this thing where if mute is active the indi_mute is a full red layer that is low opacity. But I don't like having the layer shown in photoshop and I continue to forget to show it cause its hard to work with it shown. So if you could (cause I know you can cause you do it with the over function) have the indi_mute, when activated, show in the skin even tho the layer is hidden?

That's a fair enough suggestion. It can be quite annoying.

3. one from my previous thread that got lost in the fray: A layer name to indicate mute is NOT on, indi_nomute.

Again, there is such a simple way around this too. Just have whatever it is you want to be shown whilest "unmuted" all of the time. And then stick a layer over the top of it to hide it when mute is enabled. Still all achieved by one layer so adding this functionallity wouldn't enhance workflow at all as it can already be done. Try and think in reverse when you get stuck, there's most probably a solution.

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » March 11th, 2009, 10:36 am

Oh and by the way, I don't mean to come accross all smart-ass! I'm only speaking from what I do in these situations which I know does work. So don't take offense or anything. I realize now that you never said you couldn't actually do anything, just wanted upgrades. So instead of editing my big post, I just thought I'd give you the heads up here. Hopefuly though, I mentioned something you may have overlooked :)

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » March 11th, 2009, 10:36 am

Thanks Lance for the workarounds, but they are just that...work arounds, it would make sense to just add in the capability so there is no confusion. And for some reason...(not sure if it is just me) but I cannot have layers with any other opacity other than 100%, which means I have to when I want something like 50% make a new layer below my 50% layer and merge down and rename the new layer which gives me a 50% raster on a 100% opacity layer. So if I make something that is 0% opacity it would show up on my Xion 100% so I would have to make a new layer below that one and merge which would give me a raster of 0% (in other words no pixels and thus no image) so in Xion given this would result in an extra layer and zero functionality. So in my case all of my suggestions were extremely valuable to my process as you can see.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » March 11th, 2009, 10:45 am

Hmm, I didn't know about the general opacity of a layer thing. I don't actually work with anything that isn't 100%. I have my main design psd and the skin psd (obviously) and merge all my buttons and their states as a flat layer and chop them into squares and such. I find it much easier and sometimes much quicker, as well as keeping filesize minimal.

Aaaanyways, as I was saying, I'm not sure about that issue. I actually thought that the opacity would be whatever you set it as, just as long as you use the layer opacity and not the fill opacity, as that doesn't work.

Oh and I hope you read my second post, you were replying as I was.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » March 11th, 2009, 10:51 am

I found your second post obsolete, but it was appreciated, thanks. I didn't think you came off as an ass because I didn't think to do those workarounds but it does seem like its possible but my suggestions still stand, I do think the keywords need the previously stated upgrades.

Oh and also Lance if you look at the picture (even though it doesn't show the entirity of my complexity as is) I have somewhere near 4 layers per button in most cases (active, inactive, over, normal, etc) and that extra layer for that one thing will turn into two or three layers possibly, and I also checked my opacity does indeed return to 100% in Xion when applied to the skin, so my suggestions would need to be implemented for the functionality I wish to imply.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » March 11th, 2009, 11:01 am

Cool no probs. Well I guess we'll see what Cliff has to say about these things. I see where you're coming from now though. It reminds me of something else I wanted to suggest (for the 3rd time). I may go and do that now. Would be interesting to see what you think too :)

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » March 11th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Hi Jikaru,

Jikaru Wrote:as of right now, mute_normal, trans_volumel, trans_volumer, and possibly even vumetertreblelr, vumeterbasslr, vumeterbasslr and the opposing of those do not work on the same layer. For instance if I put on a layer name "mute_normal trans_volumel" only the mute_normal works even if its put like "trans_volumel mute_normal"

I'll have to rework some things to get this to work as not all keywords can be combined. There's functionality that just doesn't mix. Currently trans_volume and mute buttons are all different objects, but I can't see any immediate problems with allowing them to be combined with other object types, instead of being exclusive objects themselves. Like Lance said though, you can fake this with the 0% layers. Which version of Xion are you using that you can't do this in? Which paint application are you using?

Jikaru Wrote:2. also while im on this subject of muting: I have this thing where if mute is active the indi_mute is a full red layer that is low opacity. But I don't like having the layer shown in photoshop and I continue to forget to show it cause its hard to work with it shown. So if you could (cause I know you can cause you do it with the over function) have the indi_mute, when activated, show in the skin even tho the layer is hidden?

Unfortunately that's a no can do. Its a special case for the _over and _down as they are just linked to the _normal. If you were to hide the normal you'll see that your button hides.

The reason I can't do this for the indicators is if you wanted indicators hidden in a panel, and Xion was forcing the visibility, then how would that work? It used to be like this and I changed the functionality to fix someone else's bug report.

As a suggestion though, why don't you create an 'Initialisation' animation set? Have it so that it runs once and stops and then for each frame have a new command. So the first command could be to show your indicator layer. That way it won't matter if you forget to hide it. (Forgetting to hide it is your fault, not Xion's :P)

Jikaru Wrote:3. one from my previous thread that got lost in the fray: A layer name to indicate mute is NOT on, indi_nomute.

Yup, this is on the TODO list. You guys want a million other things too, first and foremost the skinnable playlist, so these have taken a backseat for a while, until I've polished up the playlist.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Jikaru » March 12th, 2009, 6:55 am

Thanks for the reply Cliff and some reassurance. I think i'll just leave number 2. to just remembering to have that layer visible on compile. But the reason why I ask is that all of my indicator layers have to be visible on save, for most it is not a problem because they are inactive and active and in most cases they resemble their counterparts but not for the indi_mute because its a separate and totally different looking component on the skin so it tends to block the view which is what it's meant to do so you have a solid indicator that mute is on and continuing to use the player will unmute it (that's the design behind it). But I guess for that one I will just deal.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » March 13th, 2009, 9:17 pm

Jikaru Wrote:3. one from my previous thread that got lost in the fray: A layer name to indicate mute is NOT on, indi_nomute.

Added for build 110, however I've made it more generic. Just add the keyword 'not' to an indicator layer and it will reverse the effect. so 'indi_mute not' will make it show when not muted. This means it will also work on all other indicators.

It makes the indi_active and indi_inactive states void as it should just be 'indi_active' and 'indi_active not', however its too late to be removing keywords.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Cliff Cawley » March 13th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Jikaru Wrote:1. I want both the functionality of the animated functions like trans_volume and mute_normal to work together on the same layer, so that when that layer with trans_volume is clicked if it also has mute_normal it will mute/unmute.

Also added for build 110. You can now use any of the trans_ keywords with any object keyword as I've made the trans_ keywords properties, instead of objects themselves.

I.e. 'track trans_volumel' makes for some interesting effects ;)

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » March 14th, 2009, 2:09 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:

Added for build 110, however I've made it more generic. Just add the keyword 'not' to an indicator layer and it will reverse the effect. so 'indi_mute not' will make it show when not muted. This means it will also work on all other indicators.

It makes the indi_active and indi_inactive states void as it should just be 'indi_active' and 'indi_active not', however its too late to be removing keywords.

Well that's a good thing that you don't remove keywords as 90% of skins would no longer work with indi_inactive, which would suck ass. But now you've added the "not", it only expands the coding process which is wicked.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Jikaru » March 14th, 2009, 2:56 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:
Jikaru Wrote:1. I want both the functionality of the animated functions like trans_volume and mute_normal to work together on the same layer, so that when that layer with trans_volume is clicked if it also has mute_normal it will mute/unmute.

Also added for build 110. You can now use any of the trans_ keywords with any object keyword as I've made the trans_ keywords properties, instead of objects themselves.

I.e. 'track trans_volumel' makes for some interesting effects ;)

Very Awesome, I can't wait for 110 now, will make my skin that much better :D And I agree fully with Lance, The more keywords you provide even if they are alternatives makes for an easier way to remember them and makes coding a more unique experience. Also I think you should consider shortening some of the keywords because photoshop only allows so many characters in each layer name. So I think for 110+ you should add some shorter iterations of keywords that are especially long. (which is why I thought to use "indi_nomute" instead of "indi_mute not" there an extra 2 characters in this phrase, along with other ones like trans could be shorten to like tr_ or indi to i_ you know?
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Next

Return to Feature Requests