Xion Audio Player

Always On Bottom

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Monkeez » June 23rd, 2009, 11:50 am

I'd like to have a feature similar to the Always On Top option, but for Always On Bottom. I was going to try integrate my xion skin with my desktop which requires it to always be at the bottom.

Monkeez
Xion Supporter

Postby Jikaru » June 24th, 2009, 1:45 pm

There should be four settings IMO

Always on Top
Normal
Always on Bottom
Desktop

And yes there is a difference between always on bottom and desktop.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby djinn2 » June 24th, 2009, 8:14 pm

Yeah thats a great idea. I wish the "on top" was a bit more "on top" than it currently is too. If Xion is placed over the taskbar in XP or Win7 and the desktop is brought to the front then Xion ends up below the taskbar.
djinn2
Xion Admirer

Postby Jikaru » June 25th, 2009, 12:55 am

djinn i think that might be a bug? that doesn't sound like anything i've ever encountered from any program.

And yes the on top should be more 'on top' because someone was having trouble with photoshop in an earlier thread...
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » June 25th, 2009, 1:45 am

Jikaru Wrote:djinn i think that might be a bug? that doesn't sound like anything i've ever encountered from any program.

And yes the on top should be more 'on top' because someone was having trouble with photoshop in an earlier thread...

It can't get any more 'on top' than it is.

The Windows layering system works as such:

Desktop Window
Normal Windows
On Top Windows

Its sandwiched as above. The only distinction on each in between layer is the zorder. The zorder is user changeable. I.e. when I switch windows I change the zorder and bring some window to the front.

The same functionality exists when you have multiple 'on top' windows. You can switch between all of the on top windows and they will over take each other. All of the on top windows are usually always above the normal windows though.

Its not a bug I can really do anything about as that's just how the Windows window system works.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » June 25th, 2009, 2:30 am

Nice workaround for this is to get another monitor ;) heheh :lol: what you mean you have not got 3 monitors? ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby djinn2 » June 25th, 2009, 2:38 am

I suspected as much Cliff. Ah well, I'll just have to keep Xion away from the taskbar from now on cos I hate losing focus on an app unless I want to. Give us the on bottom option and it'll stop me from crying :cry:
djinn2
Xion Admirer

Postby OfficerMike07 » June 25th, 2009, 7:00 am

SLoB Wrote:Nice workaround for this is to get another monitor ;) heheh :lol: what you mean you have not got 3 monitors? ;)

Well, I had two, but then I had to sacrifice one to a temporary second PC.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby Jikaru » June 26th, 2009, 8:18 am

I have two but my computer isn't powerful enough to handle both (will be fixed soon though) and

Cliff, can you specify a zorder for Xion? I remember when I was making a program there was a value I could set to make sure it was always a 1000 above other windows. But that was in c++, I don't know what your making xion in so that's why I ask.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » June 26th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Jikaru Wrote:I have two but my computer isn't powerful enough to handle both (will be fixed soon though) and

Cliff, can you specify a zorder for Xion? I remember when I was making a program there was a value I could set to make sure it was always a 1000 above other windows. But that was in c++, I don't know what your making xion in so that's why I ask.

Xion is written in c++, using Win32. Not sure what you're talking about with a zorder value, the Windows API has no such knowledge as far as I know. DirectX or something else, sure, but not Windows and the individual windows you create with CreateWindow :)

Feel free to send me information otherwise.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby WinstonGFX » June 27th, 2009, 8:52 am

Jikaru Wrote:There should be four settings IMO

Always on Top
Normal
Always on Bottom
Desktop

And yes there is a difference between always on bottom and desktop.

Uhhh, what's the difference between always on bottom and desktop??
WinstonGFX
Xion Admirer

Postby djinn2 » June 27th, 2009, 10:17 am

WinstonGFX Wrote:
Uhhh, what's the difference between always on bottom and desktop??

I assume that an "always on bottom" window is a normal window with a fixed zorder lower than all other normal windows unless they're also "always on bottom". The Desktop is at a lower level than the normal windows with its own zorder hierarchy.

Please correct me if I'm wrong Cliff :?
djinn2
Xion Admirer

Postby Jikaru » June 29th, 2009, 3:08 am

Some programs specify their zorder I believe. Djinn I think your right about the layer ordering, I swear there are four levels. I have a program now that has those exact four options...actually now that I look it has five options for levels...It's Rainmeter on XP and the Enigma sidebar options include:

Always Top
Normal
Bottom
Desktop

And they stay at these levels...so I'm sure somehow you can tell Xion where to be if specified.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » June 29th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Jikaru Wrote:Some programs specify their zorder I believe. Djinn I think your right about the layer ordering, I swear there are four levels. I have a program now that has those exact four options...actually now that I look it has five options for levels...It's Rainmeter on XP and the Enigma sidebar options include:

Always Top
Normal
Bottom
Desktop

And they stay at these levels...so I'm sure somehow you can tell Xion where to be if specified.

Actually all they're doing is just forcing themselves to the top/bottom using a Timer. Even so much so that it causes a bug. Set it to 'Stay Topmost' now move it over the Task bar, click the taskbar to bring it to the front and a couple of ms later, you'll see rainmeter pop to the top. Now try right clicking on rainmenter while its in this mode. The menu will display and shortly after rainlender will move in front of the menu so you can't see it!

As I've said before, there is no application definable zorder. Its user customizeable. I will probably end up doing something similar for Xion, by forcing itself where it needs to be, however its hacky as Windows doesn't actually support this.

As for staying on the Desktop, that's fairly easy, you just set your window's parent to be the Desktop.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » June 29th, 2009, 6:39 pm

I prefer it when she's on top, oops :roll: :lol: wrong thread ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Next

Return to Feature Requests