Xion Audio Player

VU Meter Animation Type

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Harkonenn » October 25th, 2006, 5:18 am

Pickle made a request for a nice VU meter animation type and I may very well be requesting the same thing, but I'm not entirely sure.

If I understand the way levels are translated now, the separate frames of a layer set are "jumped to" when a particular trigger level is reached. In other words, if the sound is at level 10 and then goes to level 2, all the user sees is those 2 frames of the animation. If this is indeed how it works now, I would propose that frames between levels are played in sequence. So for example, volume going from level 0 to level 10 shows an animation of 11 frames, and then if it drops down to level 5, you get to see frames 10, 9, 8, 7 ,6 and 5 (this is of course assuming an 11 step animation, which is completely arbitrary). Like in Pickle's request, I'm just looking for a smoother VU presentation.

Does that make sense?
Harkonenn
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 25th, 2006, 5:31 am

might be worth experimenting tbh, altho cpu usage is another thing to remember
if you add 20 frames it should be smooth enough, we've yet to determine what would be smooth and cpu friendly
i did try and add a delay and also fadebetween/fadein/out while mucking around and both didnt really do the trick, it also depends on your animation too

could be worthwhile doing a simple vu meter in a few test skins with various amount of frames, ranging from 10 to 30, say 10, 20 & 30 framed vu
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 25th, 2006, 8:17 am

Harkonenn Wrote:Pickle made a request for a nice VU meter animation type and I may very well be requesting the same thing, but I'm not entirely sure.

If I understand the way levels are translated now, the separate frames of a layer set are "jumped to" when a particular trigger level is reached. In other words, if the sound is at level 10 and then goes to level 2, all the user sees is those 2 frames of the animation. If this is indeed how it works now, I would propose that frames between levels are played in sequence. So for example, volume going from level 0 to level 10 shows an animation of 11 frames, and then if it drops down to level 5, you get to see frames 10, 9, 8, 7 ,6 and 5 (this is of course assuming an 11 step animation, which is completely arbitrary). Like in Pickle's request, I'm just looking for a smoother VU presentation.

Does that make sense?

Perfect sense :)

I could try doing something like this, however it may impact on the accuracy of the vu meter. I can add support as a keyword so that you can choose to use this method or not. I'll let you know when its in.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Harkonenn » October 25th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Thanks, Cliff!
Harkonenn
Xion Supporter