Xion Audio Player

WMA and DRM compatibility?

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby BrendonKoz » December 28th, 2006, 7:06 am

I was curious to know if whether DRM compatibility was scheduled anywhere in Xion's roadmap. I've been on the lookout for a media player that has both WMA DRM playback as well as the ability to save file location (ala bookmarks within a sound file) for extremely long audio files.

I work at a library where we allow the download of audio books for our patron's listening pleasure. Since audiobooks can be upwards of 18+ hours long and there are no "chapters" to speak of, being able to save bookmarks and/or last-played location of certain files could be extremely handy -- I *think* your player has this capability (from the main page: "position saver"). The only problem is that I can't find a media player with both of these options to suggest to our patrons.

So, right...are there any plans to extend this player for DRM content playback?
BrendonKoz
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » December 28th, 2006, 8:35 am

wmp is about the only player out ther atm that does that? used to be zoom player also.
doesnt look like the sound engine has drm support nor does it look like its in the pipeline, cant say that from Cliffs pov tho but only from observation of the sound engine limits, he may/may not spend time on creating a decoder for it?, there was mention of it on the soundengine forum of someone doing a drm decoder

doesnt wmp suffice?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby BrendonKoz » December 28th, 2006, 10:53 am

WMP works with protected WMA, but there's no way for someone to save a current spot to come back to later without guessing around where the time slider stopped at last, or writing down the timestamp and then using the slider to get it to approximately that spot.

I figured that any players that did do this just simply used WMP's DLLs to access the content. The last player I tested required that WMP v9 or greater be installed so that it could use those files...and there are no add-ons for WMP that allow for saving location. Actually, that's not entirely true, there was one add-on that I had found, but the file no longer exists.
BrendonKoz
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » December 28th, 2006, 11:11 am

As SLoB said there is currently no support for DRM protected WMA files. I believe this is due to the extremely high licensing fee required. The engine I use has no support at all for protected WMA files unfortunately.

I will look around to see what information I can find in regards to playing DRM WMA files but I can't make any promises.

As for the bookmark feature, that sounds like a great idea, so feel free to post that in the Feature Request forum!

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby BrendonKoz » December 28th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Ah, so the "location save" isn't quite the same thing. ;) Thanks for the reply, both of you, it's very helpful and much appreciated! Since I did try this out to find out if it could play the WMA content, I must say...even though the demo MP3 was made specifically to showcase its audio abilities, I am impressed with the sound. You've done a nice job on this player.

Thanks again for the info!
BrendonKoz
Xion Supporter

Return to Feature Requests