Xion Audio Player

Right click actions and more...

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Ilko » September 11th, 2013, 10:50 pm

On some sliders there is a little context menu wich popups, like on the equalizer. This step could be bypassed by using the right click feature for instantly resetting the sliders to their default position.

What about mouse wheel ? It could be used on any slider when focused on it. Actually it only changes the volume, whatever the window or the item focused on.

I've also noticed that the middle click is not used at all, that's too bad ! We might eventually use the middle click on sliders too, for example, to set a slider to its last known position. It could also reset a window position when middle clicked on a "moveable" area, or simply close it.

Other ideas :

Main player
  • Close button : middle click > minimize, right click > minimize to tray
  • play button : right click > open the stream url from the clipboard, middle click > open the last streamed radio
  • pause button : right click > stop
  • next track button : right click > progress forwarding (could also be applied reversely as a right click on the progress forwarding button would play the next track)
  • open button : right click > add folder
  • playlist button : right click > open the library
Playlist
  • middle click > playing/pausing the mouse hovered track.
  • right click on "pl_add" > add directory
  • right click on "pl_remove" > remove current playing song from the list
  • middle click on "pl_remove" > remove all entries

Minimalisticophiles will appreciate :)
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » September 12th, 2013, 3:59 am

Ilko Wrote:On some sliders there is a little context menu wich popups, like on the equalizer. This step could be bypassed by using the right click feature for instantly resetting the sliders to their default position.

What about mouse wheel ? It could be used on any slider when focused on it. Actually it only changes the volume, whatever the window or the item focused on.

Currently double clicking a slider resets it too. A single right click seems cool though.

I second the mouse scroll on hover. Could be implemented for knobs too.

As for the rest, I wouldn't want to speak too much for Cliff but some of that seems reasonable.

EDIT: Reading through those again I'm not sure instant right click functions are such a good idea (apart from slider resets). The point in a menu is to be sure of what you want to do. Having a function on a right click, like the suggest PL ones, would lead to some people accidently clearing lists and such. Generally speaking, there would be no way of knowing what you're about to do or what just happened. You could have tooltips but they'd become pretty long.
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Ilko » September 12th, 2013, 11:21 am

Lance Wrote:Currently double clicking a slider resets it too. A single right click seems cool though.

oh I didn't know

Reading through those again I'm not sure instant right click functions are such a good idea (apart from slider resets). The point in a menu is to be sure of what you want to do.

of course, but for some very repetitive actions like adding tracks etc, explicit controls and easily recognizable symbols are sufficient. Usually people wanna do what they want as quick as possible (meaning the less gestures the more satisfacted), and even when a skin is good looking, we don't play music for contemplating the skin itself, as most of the time we're busy while listening. Menus are certainly used as less as possible by the very big majority.

Having a function on a right click, like the suggest PL ones, would lead to some people accidently clearing lists and such.

I believe people are not so clumsy...

Generally speaking, there would be no way of knowing what you're about to do or what just happened. You could have tooltips but they'd become pretty long.

And it's rightly where features like "last known position" or else come in. However I don't agree with your last says. I always know what I'm going to do, if by this you meant what to listening to. If not, well just activate random playing. For what just happened, it doesn't really matter here...
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 9th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Ilko Wrote:What about mouse wheel ? It could be used on any slider when focused on it. Actually it only changes the volume, whatever the window or the item focused on.

This has been implemented for build 155.

The other items here I will need to spend some more time evaluating what I'll do. Probably a way to customize the actions.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Ilko » August 3rd, 2014, 11:25 pm

Oh good to see. One more UI firendly feature :)

Thanks Cliff.
Ilko
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » August 4th, 2014, 12:55 am

I feel that a lot of these don't seem very intuitive. To use them effectively would mean memorizing them all, and this can negatively impact usage in a big way, because more often than not you will simply forget. Additionally, this makes the right click menu less reliable, because you can accidentally trigger some sort of feature when all you wanted was to access the menu.

If people want more fine tuned controls, they will most likely find themselves a good, complex skin, many of which already exist in the library at this point, and will be happy with that. I personally don't feel like I need any of these, at least, when using Xion on a daily basis.

Still, Cliff's word is final on this, so don't let me trample all your hopes. You may still see a few of these in the future.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Return to Feature Requests