Xion Audio Player

[Added: 155] CLI screen position parameters

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby deema » December 27th, 2013, 2:51 am

Hi, I am relatively new to your app, but find that it is by far the coolest media player for Windows. But I have a very specific need, which is to be able to open an instance of Xion with "window" size and screen location, as well as skin choice, as is possible with WMP. Can I accomplish that with Xion?

I also need this ability while the player is open, even if with another skin and a different window size. LIke If I am using "j" skin with a window size of 400x300 and at screen location 300x500, I need to be able to call through CLI for it to switch to "k" skin with a window size of 800x200 at screen location 490x700....

Can this be done with Xion? Thanks
Splinter, Anything Can Be Anything

Blood type O Negative, I bleed zeros and ones
deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » December 28th, 2013, 8:23 am

Hi Deema,

Welcome to the Xion Community!

This isn't currently a feature, but I could potentially add it.

The only thing that might not work is setting the window size. Most skins use a fixed window size rather than resizeable.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby regener8ed » December 29th, 2013, 3:25 am

wouldn't be tough to pass a value for scale tho, right? then it'd be up to the user to determine what scale to apply to the given skin.
regener8ed
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » December 29th, 2013, 8:30 am

Sure, but scale and window size are completely different types of functionality :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby deema » December 30th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:Sure, but scale and window size are completely different types of functionality :)

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Okay, scaling will accomplish the same thing, for my needs. I just need the player to be able to be called by skin, "size"(any way that I can specify the needed size is fine, even if I have to put "80% of x skin" each time, as long as I can quantify it to a pixel size, myself), and pixel location.

As you just told me that it isn't currently possible, I plan on using a third party app to set the window size, for now, I suppose.

I guess I will just be more clear. I am the developer of Splinter, a freeware "new" desktop interface (windows explorer front end) software/ world's first truly imagery based programming "language", bla bla...

I am currently working on 'deadmau5 dishin Splinter", a splinterface that is all about the most popular EDM producer on the planet, and so music is very big with this splinterface.

I will explain it in more detail, tomorrow or so. My explanation and demonstration will do a lot in showing you what I am looking to do

Thanks again, for the help and the software, it rocks. I am pretty sure that it is the best in class for splintegration

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » December 31st, 2013, 7:25 am

deema Wrote:I am currently working on 'deadmau5 dishin Splinter", a splinterface that is all about the most popular EDM producer on the planet, and so music is very big with this splinterface

That got my attention. Can I help out with this in any way? I'm the designer of one of his heads. A deadmau5 themed interface is something I've had on my list for a while now.

EDIT: Seems you're almost finished with it so never mind :)
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby deema » December 31st, 2013, 10:22 am

Lance Wrote:That got my attention. Can I help out with this in any way? I'm the designer of one of his heads. A deadmau5 themed interface is something I've had on my list for a while now.

EDIT: Seems you're almost finished with it so never mind :)

Hey, how is it going, mane? Yeah, you are the guy that designed the cheesehead, right? I have been following you for awhile, on dA. Dig the cheesehead and all of your UI designs. Really cool sh!t, you are a great artist. I considered reaching out to you a month ago, or so, to talk about this project, funnily enough. As far as "deadmau5 dishin", yes, I am almost done, but, splinterfaces are never, really, "complete". The idea is for them to be added to and altered, "forever", as every aspect of every splinterface can be changed at any time. So my hope is that it will be improved upon as time goes on, by others. And your talent is totally out of my league, abilities, and even concepts. I am great at designing desktop interfaces, but not the UI elements, the self contained self housed interfaces, like you do. So your type of art will definitely have a place inside any of my splinterfaces.

And I am still actively implementing new features so if you have anything in the works, let me know. I will send you a demo vid of what the splinterface looks like, before long, so you can see what types of things Splinter can implement. This Xion functionality is the biggest hinderance I am having, at the moment, as I don't want to release it until I have this thing squared away.

This is my dA profile link. I have posted a few pages from the deadmo splinterface. Http://deema78.deviantart.com

Also, I THINK I found out about Xion by looking through your dA gallery, so thanks.

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby deema » January 1st, 2014, 3:03 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:Sure, but scale and window size are completely different types of functionality :)

Hello, again. I think I read the replies too quickly. Lemme ask you a question....

wouldn't be tough to pass a value for scale tho, right? then it'd be up to the user to determine what scale to apply to the given skin.

Sure.......

Does this mean that it can be done, currently? Where can I learn how to do this, if so? I cannot tell by either of your posts whether it is something that can be done now, or wouldn't be hard to implement... Thanks

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 1st, 2014, 3:58 pm

Hi deema,

It's something that isn't available right now, but wouldn't be hard to implement.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby logokas » January 2nd, 2014, 12:05 pm

I'm curious to know what benefit and/or purpose switching skins like this gives you.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby deema » January 2nd, 2014, 1:32 pm

logokas Wrote:I'm curious to know what benefit and/or purpose switching skins like this gives you.

Sure. My software, Splinter, is a new type of desktop interface program. It is an imagery based triple binary system, with two types of icons and the wallpaper, all being able to "talk' to each other and call each other by name, allowing for multiple linked and cohesive desktop environments, per splinterface creation. This new one, deadmau5 dishin, has 30 pages(interactive wallpapers) and they are all deadmau5 related. There are about a half dozen purely utilitarian icon based pages, an rss feed and youtube page, a storefront, a game page, bio, event flyers, a number of other pages.

Due to the splinterface's dynamics, the end user will likely wish to switch to new pages on a regular basis, for function and entertainment. My goal is always to create the most fluid environment possible and with this one, I have custom spectrum analyzers that are/will be implemented into each page("just" regular windows wallpapers. I only call them pages because they have so many more abilities, with Splinter) and I want there to be a custom player fitted into each wallpaper as well. The idea is to make every page seamless. Without the ability to place a custom looking player at a specific location, onto each page, there is no way to make the player look like it is part of the natural environment for that background, as it will either be the wrong size, wrong location, or wrong visual compliment to that scene.

It is kind of hard to explain or grasp unless you have seen Splinter in action. Below is an old video showing functionality and some images from the upcoming release. The last two are the page menus and show the majority of the wallpapers within the splinterface. As you can see, they vary greatly. I want there to be a seamless feel and no interuption in the effect when flipping from one environment to the next. For example, a boombox player right on the couch, in the third image, would be perfect, but would look terrible when you flipped to any of the other pages.

EDIT---- OOPS, i don't know what is going on with the images. Is there a way to just post thumbs and have them open larger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jypt6H40C0A

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » January 3rd, 2014, 4:00 pm

It's fine. You can right click and view them normally.

I think I understand the purpose now. I've no idea how you would hook this into Xion however so that you can switch between these 'pages' and also switch between player skins. You will likely need dedicated code in both Splinter and Xion to make this sort of functionality work.

That is potentially too specific of a feature that will only ever be used by Splinter and its' users, so priority on this will rely purely on Cliff's interest in it. I will admit that the idea is clever, though.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 3rd, 2014, 5:03 pm

@logokas, It'll just be done with a command line interface. I've had some requests to be able to control Xion from the CLI anyway.
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby deema » January 3rd, 2014, 11:06 pm

logokas Wrote:It's fine. You can right click and view them normally.

I think I understand the purpose now. I've no idea how you would hook this into Xion however so that you can switch between these 'pages' and also switch between player skins. You will likely need dedicated code in both Splinter and Xion to make this sort of functionality work.

Ha. Hi. THIS is the EASY part, truly. I am already DOING it. Splinter has internal scripting capabilities. It can run all DOS commands and then adds eight of its own. These eight allow for ANYTHING to occur within the desktop environment. As I said, each image type, including pages(wallpapers) can be called by name. So, if this functionality is implemented into Xion, and Xion let's say is already running, and "you' want to switch to a new page, it is as simple as typing in the script box

splinter goto "x" (the name of the wallpaper)
splinter delay 10 (pause for 10 ms before next command)
"C:\Program Files\Xion\Xion.exe [parameters I requested in this thread]"

That is IT. The delay command isn't even, technically, necessary. I just put it in for good measure. Just in case Windows runs the command before it has flipped to a new wallpaper and it isn't a seamless look. But I already do this now, sort of. I just do it by putting the skin name and path where I just put parameters above. I am just lacking the pixel size and pixel location capabilties, so I am forced to then move and/or resize the player on the new page. I would rather not have to use a window manager app if it can be done without it, but I may just have to. It just makes things a bit more difficult for end users, which is the antithesis of Splinter's reason for being.

And actually, this has use for EVERYBODY, not just Splinter users. (who SHOULD be everybody, heh heh)... This functionality will allow everyone to have a library of shortcuts for the skin and parameters they want so that they dont have to right click, click choose skin, search for skin, click skin, right click, click configure, adjust size, hit okay, move player to desired location. ALL that can be done with one click with this added functionality. And it can all be in a nice library-like folder with all your fave skins preconfigured and ready to go. With the thousands or whatever ridiculous number of skins are already available, this makes things easier for all. And the scripts to call on the players would basically be a template with the end user just having to enter the three parameter sets. Big plus for them and "no" tech knowledge needed.

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 4th, 2014, 9:24 pm

I've added support for this in Build 155.

Command line options are as follows:
/SetMainPlayerPos=x,y
/SetPlaylistPos=x,y
/SetEqualizerPos=x,y
/SetLibraryPos=x,y
/SetVisualisationPos=x,y
/SetMainPlayerScale=percentage

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios