Xion Audio Player

Disable screensaver/sleep while Xion is playing

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby regener8ed » February 13th, 2014, 5:09 am

Most media players have a feature which inhibits the screensaver/sleep functions when they are active. i use a dedicated machine for media and it's a bit of a nuisance to have to wake the computer every so often or remember to change the settings -- it would be nice to at least have an option available. (Personally, I wouldn't mind if it were simply automatic.)
regener8ed
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » February 13th, 2014, 7:47 pm

I thought about this for a good while, but at the end of it, I just can't agree with a feature like this.

Yes, media server like programs have this feature as standard, because they're often attached to plasma televisions or the like, a constant media platform. However a home computer has no need for either of these features to be automatic, and a laptop absolutely needs it for power saving, and for both purposes Windows already supplies its own methods to control these features which a much more elaborate configuration than a 3rd party program can supply at any rate.

So in conclusion, I just don't see why Xion really needs a feature like this, when you could just not be lazy and configure your power saving features so that they don't annoy you.

Of course, this is still up to Cliff as to if he wants to put it in, and to be fair, it would be a fairly trivial feature to implement, as the Windows API already provides a 'keepalive' of some kind as far as I know, but I personally don't see the need for it. That's my two cents.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 15th, 2014, 6:33 pm

regener8ed Wrote:Most media players have a feature which inhibits the screensaver/sleep functions when they are active. i use a dedicated machine for media and it's a bit of a nuisance to have to wake the computer every so often or remember to change the settings -- it would be nice to at least have an option available. (Personally, I wouldn't mind if it were simply automatic.)

Sure, I'll add it to the list.

A lot of users have Xion running on the media centre's so it makes sense to add it.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Return to Feature Requests