Xion Audio Player

Media Library and other suggestions.

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby zeroone » February 5th, 2008, 10:18 am

First off I want to say I am extremeley impressed with Xion. It is the most promising audio player I have seen so far. Winamp used to be my favorite player but it is bloated and wothless now so I've been looking for an alternative.

I would be using Xion as a total replacement for Winamp if it had just one extra feature. That is a media library, such as is in Winamp or WMP. I have around 40,000 songs so having some sort of media library that will index them and allow me to search though them all and pick what I want would be wonderful. I've tried importing all the files into a playlist and just doing it that way but around 4,000 files or so the playlist starts having difficulties and seems to get progressively slower from then on. I've noticed choppy playback while trying to add all my songs to a playlist, although it isn't consistent, it comes and goes. Other than that Xion is extremeley fast and importing so many files doesn't have much or any of an effect on anything else, which I absoloutley love.

Another thing I would like to mention is a global hotkey, such as in Winamp, or the ability to add a custom hotkey, not sure how this can be implemented, but anyways, in Winamp, a hotkey can be set to advance a song a certian number of seconds ahead or back. I use this hotkey very often in Winamp to advance boring parts of a song, or to sample a song without having to pay a visit to the audio player. A hotkey that accomplishes this would be great :)

One last thing I would like to bring up is the addition of a checkbox, or something similar, in the File Associations window that will allow you to "Select All" or "Select None."
When I finally switch over to Xion, I don't want to have to associate each individual file type :)

Even with all that being said, I still think Xion is one of the nicest audio players I have found. I also love the fact that (so far anyways) it isn't bloated with tons of additional features that I will never use, and even if that becomes the case, Xion seems to be friendly in that it lets you disable the features you don't want. I can't stand that Winamp has about 350 'features' that serve no purpose for me, other than slowing down an otherwise useful program.

In the time it took me to type this I successfully imported 12,407 files into a playlist :)
It took a little but of time, but it was worth it.

*bow*
zeroone
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » February 5th, 2008, 10:58 am

Hi zeroone, and welcome to the Xion Community!

zeroone Wrote:First off I want to say I am extremeley impressed with Xion. It is the most promising audio player I have seen so far. Winamp used to be my favorite player but it is bloated and wothless now so I've been looking for an alternative.

Thanks! I've been slaving away at Xion in my spare time for quite some time now and am happy to hear its being used instead of Winamp! ;)

zeroone Wrote:I would be using Xion as a total replacement for Winamp if it had just one extra feature. That is a media library, such as is in Winamp or WMP. I have around 40,000 songs so having some sort of media library that will index them and allow me to search though them all and pick what I want would be wonderful. I've tried importing all the files into a playlist and just doing it that way but around 4,000 files or so the playlist starts having difficulties and seems to get progressively slower from then on. I've noticed choppy playback while trying to add all my songs to a playlist, although it isn't consistent, it comes and goes. Other than that Xion is extremeley fast and importing so many files doesn't have much or any of an effect on anything else, which I absoloutley love.

I do plan to add a better Library component in the future. The current Library component will only manage pre-made playlists, however I do plan on making it similar to WMP or other Library controls in the future.

zeroone Wrote:Another thing I would like to mention is a global hotkey, such as in Winamp, or the ability to add a custom hotkey, not sure how this can be implemented, but anyways, in Winamp, a hotkey can be set to advance a song a certian number of seconds ahead or back. I use this hotkey very often in Winamp to advance boring parts of a song, or to sample a song without having to pay a visit to the audio player. A hotkey that accomplishes this would be great :)

Xion supports Global Hotkeys already, I just need to add a 'Skip 5 seconds' type command, which I have been planning to add for the next release.

zeroone Wrote:One last thing I would like to bring up is the addition of a checkbox, or something similar, in the File Associations window that will allow you to "Select All" or "Select None."
When I finally switch over to Xion, I don't want to have to associate each individual file type :)

On the list of things to do ;)

zeroone Wrote:Even with all that being said, I still think Xion is one of the nicest audio players I have found. I also love the fact that (so far anyways) it isn't bloated with tons of additional features that I will never use, and even if that becomes the case, Xion seems to be friendly in that it lets you disable the features you don't want. I can't stand that Winamp has about 350 'features' that serve no purpose for me, other than slowing down an otherwise useful program.

In the time it took me to type this I successfully imported 12,407 files into a playlist :)
It took a little but of time, but it was worth it.

*bow*

Cheers! Yes the reason it is taking a while to import, is that it reads Tag/Title information. It is similar to using the option "Read metadata when file(s) are loaded into Winamp". The difference with Xion is that it shows you progress and doesn't freeze the Window for the entire time its adding the files.

A lot of other media players will either freeze or show a dialog box with progress when adding loads of files, which means you can't play the music you've already added. Xion allows you to start playing your music while its still adding! :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Return to Feature Requests