Xion Audio Player

Playback priority

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby dredd » March 5th, 2008, 3:11 pm

Thank you so much, Cliff, for this wonderful piece of Software and your enthusiastic work on it! There are few things in the world that manage to put a smile on your face the very instant you see them and usually they catch you totally unexpecting - as I have never expected that I should one day seriously play with the thought of abandoning Winamp, one of the strongest reasons out there pro Windows. Xion is such a great thing. It has everything you really need, but not more, it's fast and small, just the perfect player to have at the side of your screen while browsing the web, programming, or whatever. And that combined with irresistable great looks and and an innovative skinning system - I'm in love ...

At the moment, I have only two wishes:

1) It would be great if one could choose a higher process priority for the playback thread, because when the machine runs into heavier load, the playback starts to stutter. Winamp uses a slightly higher than normal priority by default and personally I don't mind if the other tasks need five seconds more to finish, but a stuttering sound really is annoying (I should say that my machine is not the strongest, though).

2) Please don't bloat it and keep it as simple yet powerful as it is!

For now, I just don't have the heart to kick Winamp of my harddrive completely, because ... well, it's Winamp, you know, we've grown together ;) Besides, when I want to manage my monster music collection, I will use monster Winamp, it's library is rather cool. But the remainig 90 % of time I already use this wonderful sexy thing, and if Nullsoft/AOL should ever again have such a great idea like putting a web browser into a media player then that will be it ...

Skinners, keep the good work coming!
Hats off, Cliff!
dredd
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » March 5th, 2008, 6:02 pm

dredd Wrote:Thank you so much, Cliff, for this wonderful piece of Software and your enthusiastic work on it! There are few things in the world that manage to put a smile on your face the very instant you see them and usually they catch you totally unexpecting - as I have never expected that I should one day seriously play with the thought of abandoning Winamp, one of the strongest reasons out there pro Windows. Xion is such a great thing. It has everything you really need, but not more, it's fast and small, just the perfect player to have at the side of your screen while browsing the web, programming, or whatever. And that combined with irresistable great looks and and an innovative skinning system - I'm in love ...

At the moment, I have only two wishes:

1) It would be great if one could choose a higher process priority for the playback thread, because when the machine runs into heavier load, the playback starts to stutter. Winamp uses a slightly higher than normal priority by default and personally I don't mind if the other tasks need five seconds more to finish, but a stuttering sound really is annoying (I should say that my machine is not the strongest, though).

2) Please don't bloat it and keep it as simple yet powerful as it is!

For now, I just don't have the heart to kick Winamp of my harddrive completely, because ... well, it's Winamp, you know, we've grown together ;) Besides, when I want to manage my monster music collection, I will use monster Winamp, it's library is rather cool. But the remainig 90 % of time I already use this wonderful sexy thing, and if Nullsoft/AOL should ever again have such a great idea like putting a web browser into a media player then that will be it ...

Skinners, keep the good work coming!
Hats off, Cliff!

Hi dredd and welcome to the Xion Community!

Thanks for the great comments! I'll look at number 1 as that ones a quick one, however number 2 seems like a request that will continue for the life of the project! :P

Don't worry I don't plan to bloat it up. The default install will always be slick and fast. The users like yourself can then install more components to help bloat it out ;)

I can see why they put the browser in, however I don't have any plans to create such a component. (I can't speak for any of the coders out there who will be making Xion components though!)

Xion can manage your music collection as far as dumping everything you have into the playlist and it still working at lightning speed. Over the next couple of releases I'll be refining the Library component so that its more like winamp, itunes, wmp, etc.

Enjoy the ride!

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SledgeDG » March 6th, 2008, 1:11 am

@dredd:Your OS delivers already a solution to #1...no need to kick the olde C++ compiler in gear :D

(Of course you'd have to adjust the path to your systems preferences)

Right-click on some free space on your Desktop, go to NEW/Shortcut
In the location field, just paste the following:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "xion.exe" /HIGH "C:\Program
Files\Xion\xion.exe"

now name it, change the Icon if you like and you're all set ;)
Now every time you use that shortcut, Xion starts with elevated CPU priority
Start recognized the elevations LOW, NORMAL, HIGH and REALTIME

for additional (optional) parameters just open a command shell and type start /?

-DG
SledgeDG
Xion Supporter

Return to Feature Requests