Xion Audio Player

Animation progresses as track progresses & knob control

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Lance » April 10th, 2008, 12:21 pm

Hey peoples.

Firstly, just want to send out my respect to the developer(s). What you're doing here is revolutionary 8)

Alright so I registered in hopes of sharing a few of my ideas with you. I've been creating GUIs for quite some time now. I mostly design audio interfaces and gadgets. My current project is a Xion skin as I had recently found out about it. Can't believe I didn't know :shock:

OK so my first request is for control knobs as an alternative to sliders. I've had a look for other topics requesting this but I couldn't see any. Forgive me if I missed them! My current design is based on a DJ setup; two turntables and a center mixing console. It would be very handy to be able to have control knobs for various funtions.

Second thing is something that could take a little bit of work, but I actually see it as being fairly easy to implement. It's the ability to have an animation set progress through it's frames according to the tracks progress. I guess this would work with percentages. Say you had 10 frames in an animation, every 10% of track progress, the next frame is loaded. The reason I would like this is because I want to have my dj turntables to play the length of the record as the track progresses. I hope you understand me.

Here's a preview of my skin for you to better understand:

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it 8)

Peace, Lance
Last edited by Lance on April 12th, 2008, 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 10th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Hi Lance and welcome to the Xion community!

Thanks for the respect! I'm the sole developer of Xion and can't believe its taken you so long to finally get here! You must tell all your friends IMMEDIATELY! Ok, now that you've told everyone, on with your requests! :P

Lance Wrote:OK so my first request is for control knobs as an alternative to sliders. I've had a look for other topics requesting this but I couldn't see any. Forgive me if I missed them! My current design is based on a DJ setup; two turntables and a center mixing console. It would be very handy to be able to have control knobs for various funtions.

You can emulate this very well, using an animation layer set that is set to for example 'volume'. Each frame has a different rotational increment. Then to ensure that you are able to change the volume using it, add passthrough to the layer set.

Now create a new layer under the layerset as though you are creating a hidden volume bar. Now when you click and drag on the 'knob' it should ignore and fall down to the hidden volume bar instead.

Obviously you'll be dragging in whichever direction you set the volumebar to be and not in a circle, but it should be a good substitute and work quite well. If that doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll set one up for you :)

Lance Wrote:Second thing is something that could take a little bit of work, but I actually see it as being fairly easy to implement. It's the ability to have an animation set progress through it's frames according to the tracks progress. I guess this would work with percentages. Say you had 10 frames in an animation, every 10% of track progress, the next frame is loaded. The reason I would like this is because I want to have my dj turntables to play the length of the record as the track progresses. I hope you understand me.

This one's actually already been done. Check out the keyword animtype and look at type 7. "7 = frame is set on progress amount" -> http://xion.r2.com.au/index.php?page=layerref

Nice skin, btw! :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » April 10th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Oh sweet. You know what mate? You're a legend :D Gosh, I'm sorry for missing those things. I really appreciate your reply Cliff. Honestly, your dedication is so admirable.

OK so I'm going to go and try out the knob thing although from reading that, I can already forsee some probable issues. But I'll give it a shot anyway. Thanks very much for the explantation.

As for the progress animation, damn...I should have seen that! I guess by the time I read to about type 6, I said to myself "I really don't need these right now" and never saw it :shock: It sounds PERFECT for what I had in mind. I'm pretty excited now! I hope to have some working skins for sharing very soon, although I'm quite the perfectionist so it could take years until I'm happy for release haha :P

Thanks again mate, really appreciate your work.

Peace, Lance
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 10th, 2008, 6:21 pm

Lance Wrote:Oh sweet. You know what mate? You're a legend :D Gosh, I'm sorry for missing those things. I really appreciate your reply Cliff. Honestly, your dedication is so admirable.

OK so I'm going to go and try out the knob thing although from reading that, I can already forsee some probable issues. But I'll give it a shot anyway. Thanks very much for the explantation.

As for the progress animation, damn...I should have seen that! I guess by the time I read to about type 6, I said to myself "I really don't need these right now" and never saw it :shock: It sounds PERFECT for what I had in mind. I'm pretty excited now! I hope to have some working skins for sharing very soon, although I'm quite the perfectionist so it could take years until I'm happy for release haha :P

Thanks again mate, really appreciate your work.

Peace, Lance

Haha thanks for the compliments, I look forward to seeing your skins! (In a couple of weeks!! ;))

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » April 10th, 2008, 7:06 pm

hey Lance, welcome to the Xion community :)

rotational volume was asked for last year ;) by using a rotational gradient map (this is one of the best methods), still hoping Cliff will implement it ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 10th, 2008, 8:04 pm

Don't mind SLoB, he asks for everything :D

Cliff :P
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » April 10th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Hehehe. I've been reading around here a few days. SLoB, looks like you're quite the legend yourself! :lol:

OK a small update. I managed to code the tonearms animation, squeezed 18 frames into that small area. You can also click and drag the arms accross the record like a real deck (I know it's just acting as a slider, but it feels so much cooler when it's a turntable :)).

As for the knob, the issues I thought would happen, happened. Having a slider act as the control, it means that everytime I click the knob, it will jump to wherever the curser is, which isn't very cool for knobs. I like the idea of the radial gradient. I still think it would cause a few of the same problems, but seems more logical anyway.

Keep up the brilliant work!

Peace, Lance
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » April 10th, 2008, 10:49 pm

Hey Lance. Nice to see more talent around here. Glad you chose to stick with Xion. :D
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Lance » April 10th, 2008, 11:22 pm

Hey thanks buddy :) I recently read your "A note to all skinners" topic. Some very interesting points in that post! I'll be sure to keep this skin as user-friendly as I can. Take care.

Peace, Lance
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby ALAS » April 12th, 2008, 12:25 am

Lance Wrote:Hey thanks buddy :) I recently read your "A note to all skinners" topic. Some very interesting points in that post! I'll be sure to keep this skin as user-friendly as I can. Take care.

Peace, Lance

Hey Lance, welcome to the community :-). Skin looks good so far, keep it up..
ALAS
Xion Fan

Return to Feature Requests