Xion Audio Player

My two cents...

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby LordHellraiser » April 19th, 2008, 2:39 am

Hey comunity!

First at all Cliff, I must say in name of all those who have not... THANK YOU! really it is not a praise it's a fact that this "little" piece of software has everything but little... in short it's FUC*ING awesome.

Many years now since I left Winamp... since version 2.8 where thay start to call versions as "Classic" and "Dumb", anyways old story... since then I've jumping from one player to another... but Xion has what I want, runs from the tray, I can even disable the GUI and interact with keyboard, portable, SIMPLE, almost like if I've done it for my very self!

I've read a lot the features people have asked, and many wants "better" playlist and/or library management. Well I've got an "better" (at least for me) idea...

Times have changed, so needs too. When I was a KaZaA/Adiogalaxy fan all I've got was a *big* folder filled up with files, now I've become a more ordered person as the p2p have become mature and all I've got is a portable 2.5" Hard Drive (250Gb) full of complete albums (yeah I'm a metalhead/headbanger). So for me was painfull make several librarys or lose the compatibility with players accross computers, because I switch form job to home (and there are more that one PC in both).

Nothing better to keep orginized your collection in folders, so you'll find whatever you need quickly, that reason makes me want a plug-in (not feauture, so everyone can install it if they want) to load a folder and navigate it as a tree (just like a library, but more dynamic). There is a software that does that (I won't give a mention), but I don't like it and I don't want it... I just want Xion!

Other of the user requests is to show notifications (just like AlbumPlayer, paid software, couldn't make it portable, very nice but also SLOW, raises CPU usage, etc... in short BIG NO!!!) and that's a request where I join, a small side-notification with album cover from tag or file inside a folder would be great... all my collection has ID3v2 Tags with album Cover and is in every folder too as (folder.jpg). Another use is show hints of what you are doing with keyboard (Increase/decrease volume, mute, next, stop, etc).

And as fas as PlayList concerns, it really take it's time to read stuff from files, and I've noriced that Xion generates a .m3u playlist, my advise as a programmer (a ver lazy one by the way) is to store info on a SQLite DB, it's easy and fast. Once you got the SQLite libary working with Xion you'll find yourself with a robust/safe/fast way to store anything (can be settings, skins, EQ presets, even cache stuff like cover's or whatever you choose).

Last but not least, a very, very personal request... A global hot key to toggle state of the "Shimmer Interface plug-in" (I'm kind of minimalistic guy, so just GUI when needed).

My last words as my firsts are THANK YOU (again and again) for give me the opportunity to use this great software.

Cliff you rock dude!
LordHellraiser
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 19th, 2008, 10:44 am

Hi LordHellraiser and welcome to the Xion community!

LordHellraiser Wrote:First at all Cliff, I must say in name of all those who have not... THANK YOU! really it is not a praise it's a fact that this "little" piece of software has everything but little... in short it's FUC*ING awesome.

Thanks! Each release I think its getting even more awesome ;)

LordHellraiser Wrote:Nothing better to keep orginized your collection in folders, so you'll find whatever you need quickly, that reason makes me want a plug-in (not feauture, so everyone can install it if they want) to load a folder and navigate it as a tree (just like a library, but more dynamic). There is a software that does that (I won't give a mention), but I don't like it and I don't want it... I just want Xion!

This is actually how I plan to make the Library work. Similar to the other Library managers out there :) Although I have a couple of ideas to make something really great ;)

LordHellraiser Wrote:Other of the user requests is to show notifications (just like AlbumPlayer, paid software, couldn't make it portable, very nice but also SLOW, raises CPU usage, etc... in short BIG NO!!!) and that's a request where I join, a small side-notification with album cover from tag or file inside a folder would be great... all my collection has ID3v2 Tags with album Cover and is in every folder too as (folder.jpg). Another use is show hints of what you are doing with keyboard (Increase/decrease volume, mute, next, stop, etc).

Yup, all things I plan to add soon :)

LordHellraiser Wrote:And as fas as PlayList concerns, it really take it's time to read stuff from files, and I've noriced that Xion generates a .m3u playlist, my advise as a programmer (a ver lazy one by the way) is to store info on a SQLite DB, it's easy and fast. Once you got the SQLite libary working with Xion you'll find yourself with a robust/safe/fast way to store anything (can be settings, skins, EQ presets, even cache stuff like cover's or whatever you choose).

Yes, when I create the new Library manager, it will be storing the information in an SQLite database. For now it reads the tags on demand :)

LordHellraiser Wrote:Last but not least, a very, very personal request... A global hot key to toggle state of the "Shimmer Interface plug-in" (I'm kind of minimalistic guy, so just GUI when needed).

Actually have you seen the Global Hotkeys tab? Check out the 'Toggle Interface' hotkey. The default combination is Ctrl + Alt + Num 5. So all I can say is...done! ;)

LordHellraiser Wrote:My last words as my firsts are THANK YOU (again and again) for give me the opportunity to use this great software.

Cliff you rock dude!

Thanks! Hopefully you'll enjoy the new features coming soon! :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby LordHellraiser » April 19th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Seems like you got everything covered.

Ohh and the last thing about togglin' the GUI was really dumb, I have my own mappings for volume, next, prev., and pause (if you do pause when paused it resumes BTW) and haven't seen the toggle interface.

Thanx for the reply and I'll be around to help a bit if necesary ;)

Ohh and even when I only use apps in english, spanish translation is covered if you plan to add MUI.

Regards.
LordHellraiser
Xion Supporter

Return to Feature Requests