Xion Audio Player

Can't Drag and Drop Skin

Discuss potential bugs with other users or try to find out a solution to an existing bug

Postby 7u1Sh3d » December 9th, 2008, 9:29 am

Whoa first post!

...Anyway, Xion used to work for me, but currently I can't drag and dropsome of my .psd's into Xion. When I do, it reverts from whatever skin it is on to the default skin. I can't seem to find why it works with some files and not others. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? I've tried reinstalling, but it didn't have any effect. Could their be something wrong with the .psd?

Sorry if this is has already been addressed elsewhere and thanks very much for any help in advance :D
7u1Sh3d
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » December 9th, 2008, 7:55 pm

Are you dropping them as raw PSD files or XSF? Maybe even ZIP or a ZIP containing a further XSF inside of that? These things will make a difference. Some places you download from have a zip within a zip which I believe won't work with a drag-drop.

If you are wanting to install them perminetly, make sure the PSD is placed inside of a ZIP with it's extension renamed to an XSF. Then double click it to install.

If you are wanting to simply test a work-in-progress, just drag the PSD itself on to the player and hit F5 whenever you want to refresh it after an update. This doesn't install it permently though.

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby 7u1Sh3d » December 10th, 2008, 8:06 am

Its a wip so I would like to just drag and drop the PSD but it doesn't work. It used to work, but one day I tried it and it just didn't do anything.

I tried it as a ZIP, a .XSF, and as a raw PSD today. I can't get anything to work. I've tried all of my PSDs and some of them work, but only a few. Also, other skins I've downloaded, like ones from GUIS work, but not my own.

When I drag and drop the PSD the program flashes like its refreshing and then reverts to the default skin.

BTW, Thanks lance, I appreciate you trying to help me out.
7u1Sh3d
Xion Supporter

Postby xonenine » December 10th, 2008, 8:26 am

I believe you may be experiencing the same install problem reported previously. Try a clean install, uncheck run xion at finish, then start xion. Also, there are a few other hints about install in the beta 104 and 105 thread. have fun, xonenine.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby 7u1Sh3d » December 10th, 2008, 1:52 pm

I tried reinstalling for the second time and it still doesn't work :(

I appreciate the help though guys.

Any other ideas?
7u1Sh3d
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » December 11th, 2008, 6:31 am

Maybe you're using Vista?
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby 7u1Sh3d » December 11th, 2008, 7:11 am

logokas Wrote:Maybe you're using Vista?

Ha, good try, but no, I'm on XP.
7u1Sh3d
Xion Supporter

Postby MW_Xion » December 11th, 2008, 7:39 am

7u1Sh3d Wrote:Its a wip so I would like to just drag and drop the PSD but it doesn't work. It used to work, but one day I tried it and it just didn't do anything.

I tried it as a ZIP, a .XSF, and as a raw PSD today. I can't get anything to work. I've tried all of my PSDs and some of them work, but only a few. Also, other skins I've downloaded, like ones from GUIS work, but not my own.

When I drag and drop the PSD the program flashes like its refreshing and then reverts to the default skin.

BTW, Thanks lance, I appreciate you trying to help me out.

7u1Sh3d (or may I call you 7u1 for short?),
I have had the same problem with WIP skins in PSD form. The issue is that there is some error in the syntax of one or more layer names in your WIP skin -- when you try to drop onto Xion, the error in the skin causes Xion to be unable to use the skin and so it reverts to using the default skin. Once you find and fix the error in the WIP skin then it will load fine.

It's unfortunate that Xion doesn't perhaps put up some kind of message to say that the skin failed to load because of an error. Would be even nicer if it told you which layer had caused the problem. Maybe this is a feature to request from Cliff for future updates of Xion.

No solution -- just a possible explanation -- hope it helps -- good luck.
MW_Xion
(novice skinner, pls be gentle!)
MW_Xion
Xion Supporter

Postby xonenine » December 11th, 2008, 9:33 am

Scuse me for asking, but what program are you making the psds with and what version xion have you been installing?
xonenine
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby MW_Xion » December 11th, 2008, 1:39 pm

xonenine Wrote:Scuse me for asking, but what program are you making the psds with and what version xion have you been installing?
xonenine

Xonenine, can't speak for 7u1Sh3d, but I'm using Paint Shop Pro to create PSDs and dropping them onto Xion build 100. I'm not sure that the program to create the PSDs will have much effect (assuming it creates compliant PSDs) but it is an interesting thought.
I only occasionally see the problem -- not all syntax errors cause the problem -- most syntax errors get through without this happening. I didn't document which errors or which keywords caused the problem to occur -- next time it happens, I will keep a record of my error and post the data. I may try some experiments to create the problem/symptom.
MW_Xion
MW_Xion
Xion Supporter

Postby xonenine » December 11th, 2008, 2:01 pm

keep in mind psp doesnt support layer sets, I think Cliff came up w a fix.
xonenine :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby MW_Xion » December 11th, 2008, 2:20 pm

xonenine Wrote:keep in mind psp doesnt support layer sets, I think Cliff came up w a fix.
xonenine :)

Xonenine, I'm painfully aware of that fact.
I put in a Feature Request recently http://xion.r2.com.au/community/vwtpc.php?t=993 to which Cliff kindly responded. I made a few suggestions about how it might be done in that post and I'm sure Cliff has his own ideas. I don't know what Cliff has in mind or whether he can get to it in the near future.
Thanks.
MW_Xion
MW_Xion
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » December 12th, 2008, 12:40 am

Syntax errors break the skin? That's a first.

I always thought that whatever layer is named wrong or has error simply doesn't do what it's supposed to? As in, typoing 'title' would simply show a white block that does nothing.

What kind of errors are you talking about?
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby 7u1Sh3d » December 12th, 2008, 7:46 am

I'm using PS CS3 and Xion build 100.

I agree with logokas, I don't think a syntax error could be causing this, but I will go through all my layers to make sure I didn't make any mistakes.

Thanks again for the help guys :D
7u1Sh3d
Xion Supporter

Postby 7u1Sh3d » December 12th, 2008, 12:21 pm

logokas you were right! I didn't rasterize a layer that had a layer mask on it. As soon as I did that, it worked! I don't know if this is a known problem, but I didn't know about it until now.

Thanks to everybody that helped out :D

Now, how do I rasterize a layer so that it preserves its soft light blending option...
7u1Sh3d
Xion Supporter

Next

Return to Bugs (Release Build)