Xion Audio Player

Fails to auto-run

Discuss potential bugs with other users or try to find out a solution to an existing bug

Postby wrcs » April 17th, 2009, 11:33 am

For reason unknown Xion has suddenly failed to auto-run.
Re-install made no difference.
Any ideas?
wrcs
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 17th, 2009, 2:50 pm

wrcs Wrote:For reason unknown Xion has suddenly failed to auto-run.
Re-install made no difference.
Any ideas?

Hi wrcs,

What do you mean by autorun?

Do you mean with Windows? Or automatically start playing music when you start Xion?

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby wrcs » April 17th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Sorry.
Clarification:
I mean clicking a tune's icon opens Xion but it does not play.
Same applies to "right-click/play.
The only way to play "from icon click" is via "Open with".
It was fine until yesterday.
Uninstall and re-install didn't help.

The registry command
"C:\Program Files\Xion\Xion.exe" "%1"
seems to be correct.
wrcs
Xion Supporter

Postby Jikaru » April 18th, 2009, 12:07 am

What OS?
What version of Xion?
Check Xion 1.0.113 beta and see if the problem persists.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby wrcs » April 18th, 2009, 1:31 am

OS = XP Pro sp3
Xion = 1.0.0.100 (was something earlier before reinstall)

Will try the beta.

(edit)
Same behaviour in Beta.
wrcs
Xion Supporter

Postby Jikaru » April 18th, 2009, 5:01 am

Im on XP SP3 Pro and I do not have this issue. Maybe it's the amount of files you are trying to open?

Windows handles opening and dragging/dropping into Xion differently. Opening requires a huge amount of resources usage because Windows determines each file separately, but when you drag/drop into Xion, Xion handles all of the files much faster and loads the times after a load of the list.

So try and drag/drop or Open from Xion instead of using windows to "Open" or "Play". It's just better that way. If the problem persists then I doubt it's Xion, try cleaning your computer.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » April 18th, 2009, 5:17 am

Even WIndows can't be blamed. I have never used any other method than what this guy describes. It has never failed me, so the problem must be in his installation or interfering software.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Jikaru » April 18th, 2009, 5:51 am

Why would you want to use that method to open files? Just go into Xion and use the open dialogue or sort your music using playlists...I have never once used "Open" or "Play" or the auto-play feature windows uses...other than to test this terrible way of loading your music into a media player, my computer lagged for a good minute and a half from 994 files...which Xion easily interpreted in less than half that time when using the drag/drop or open dialogue in Xion.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » April 18th, 2009, 5:59 am

That's going the extra mile. I can easily slip in my entire music folder without taking a whole lot of time anyway. Guess that's Core 2 for ya.

Honestly, it's much easier to play one folder via *click on music folder shortcut, right click+play in xion on a subfolder containing songs* than *show xion, find the open button or go through the context menu and add directory, browse through disc directories to find my music folder, find the folder i want, hit ok*
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Jikaru » April 18th, 2009, 7:04 am

I'd rather do it in Xion than through Windows. Waiting for my start menu to come up, waiting for the shell to respond and show me folders...open a folder, open another, open another each waiting for a few seconds...then highlight all the music I want to play and hit enter, then wait for Xion to load all of it and then I can listen...

From that to this, Open Xion, Open Directory, Scroll down to my folder (which is mostly already open to it) and click it and open, blam...loads my songs and is already playing a random one or the first one. BTW processor would eliminate some of the waiting in your case but Xion is still faster and more convenient. I also just load all of my songs and scroll down the playlist instead of sifting through folder upon folder of album names/ artist names...
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby wrcs » April 18th, 2009, 7:09 am

I don't usually use context menu "open" or "play".
I habitually play multiple music files via playlist and single music files via "click the icon" as with any other file.
I mentioned earlier that context "play" was failing only as aditional infirmation.

I was hoping that this was a known issue.
I agree that it's likely to be a conflict of some kind and will see if I can find it.

Thanks.
wrcs
Xion Supporter

Postby Jikaru » April 18th, 2009, 8:13 am

wrcs Wrote:I don't usually use context menu "open" or "play".
I habitually play multiple music files via playlist and single music files via "click the icon" as with any other file.
I mentioned earlier that context "play" was failing only as aditional infirmation.

I was hoping that this was a known issue.
I agree that it's likely to be a conflict of some kind and will see if I can find it.

Thanks.

double-Clicking the icon in a folder is "OPEN" right-click on the file the top word is usually bold, that means whenever you double click that item it will perform that function. Hitting play in the context menu also just "opens" the file in whatever media player you tell it to. Either way Windows is Opening your file(s) checks for program, finds program, loads program if not already open, and then tells program what to open. Its like taking the long way around the park. When you can tell Xion open and its done.

But anyway this seems like a problem just you are having, so it is either a conflict or you messed something up in your registry. But to be sure, right click an mp3 file, it doesn't matter which one, and choose properties at the bottom. Change the program to open with to Xion. Now double-click it and see what happens...if this is what was already done then you should try running ONLY Xion. If that doesn't work then...sorry I'd be out of ideas.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby wrcs » April 18th, 2009, 9:29 am

Thank you, Jikaru, for your most recent patronising response.

I did the "properties" thing before even though Xion was already the default mp3 player.
I said before that the REG entry (which "properties" affects) was apparently correct.

It's fixed.

This is what I did.
Uninstalled RealPlayer and reinstalled Xion (no effect).
Reinstalled WMP.

Bingo.

I guess some WMP reliant codec or random Microshaft something got corrupted or just did the standard MS "ok today I'm going to get weird" thing.

Thanks for listening guys.
wrcs
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 18th, 2009, 10:20 am

wrcs Wrote:Thank you, Jikaru, for your most recent patronising response.

I did the "properties" thing before even though Xion was already the default mp3 player.
I said before that the REG entry (which "properties" affects) was apparently correct.

It's fixed.

This is what I did.
Uninstalled RealPlayer and reinstalled Xion (no effect).
Reinstalled WMP.

Bingo.

I guess some WMP reliant codec or random Microshaft something got corrupted or just did the standard MS "ok today I'm going to get weird" thing.

Thanks for listening guys.

Hi wrcs,

Happy to hear you sorted it out. Sorry you got blasted by patronising responses to get there :(

My suggestion was going to be to look at any applications that have installed an item in the context menu. There's a known problem where some applications don't properly forward on messages and this causes problems when you use the Play All button. Usually its applications such as ones that emulate Virtual drives.

You can use an application called ShellExView ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html ) in order to see what are registered and then disable them one by one.

BUT! seems you've solved the issue in another way. I guess the WMP installer performs some other tactics to take over the file formats :D

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Jikaru » April 18th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Sorry if the before mentioned posts were patronising to you. It is just that I do not know your experience in computers and I spoke in laymens terms for sake of not having to repeat myself. I'm glad you resolved the issue. Again sorry for any confusion, but you do have to understand I do not know what steps you took before posting unless you stated those.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Next

Return to Bugs (Release Build)