Xion Audio Player

Multimedia Keys Not Recognized

Discuss potential bugs with other users or try to find out a solution to an existing bug

Postby Shadeclan » May 25th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Just found Xion and think it's great! Passed it onto my buddy who thought the same thing!

I don't understand why this problem is occurring. Xion does not recognize my play/pause multimedia key. When I try to set it in Xion's global hot keys, it doesn't show as being pressed. Need some help here! :(

I am using WinXP fully updated with an MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. All drivers are installed from the CD included with the keyboard.
Shadeclan
Xion Supporter

Postby belunos » June 16th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Wonder if it's a XP thing. On my 7 box it picks up and uses the multimedia keys on my cheap Dell keyboard without any fuss
belunos
Xion Supporter

Postby Shadeclan » June 29th, 2010, 10:34 pm

belunos Wrote: ...On my 7 box it picks up and uses the multimedia keys on my cheap Dell keyboard without any fuss

I would think yours would have no problems. My keyboard has a lot of extra keys for launching apps. The multimedia key on my keyboard must not use the standard protocol - just what you'd expect from MicroSquish. Although I hear that W7 is much leaner and meaner than XP, I am tired of the 18 month planned obsolescence and taxation from the evil shadow government - I am so going to Ubuntu Linux at my first opportunity!

'Course, I'll have to figure out how to run Xion in WINE ...
Shadeclan
Xion Supporter

Postby Shadeclan » September 10th, 2010, 6:06 am

Got it! The secret is in the Settings.dat file in the Xion root directory. In the file, which can be read from any text editor and is in readable, well organized XML format, are the key code settings - they are easy to pick out and are all under the <HotKeys> key. Here is a line, demonstrating the format of the Play/Pause toggle hotkey, along with my modification:

Code: Select All Code
<1 Action="16806" Destination="34790" Enabled="true" Modifier="0" ExtendedKey="0" VirtualKey="179" />

The individual hotkeys, however, are not easily distinguished. Here is a legend to the hot keys:
    #9 Action 50835 = Forward 5 Seconds
    #14 Action 13871 = Next [Track]
    #19 Action 13456 = Open File
    #1 Action 16806 = Play/Pause Toggle.
    #0 Action 13574 = Play
    #13 Action 13791 = Previous [Track]
    #17 Action 57720 = Remove Currently Playing
    #10 Action 47523 = Rewind 5 Seconds
    #8 Action 35234 = Shift Balance Left
    #7 Action 38790 = Shift Balance Right
    #2 Action 14068 = Stop
    #11 Action 70624 = Toggle All Windows
    #4 Action 50185 = Toggle Equalizer
    #12 Action 46524 = Toggle Main Window
    #3 Action 33628 = Toggle Mute
    #18 Action 46524 = Toggle Playlist
    #15 Action 39779 = Toggle Random
    #16 Action 39755 = Toggle Repeat
    #6 Action 46231 = Volume Decrease
    #5 Action 46695 = Volume Increase
The "Enabled" attribute is, of course, whether or not the hotkey is enabled and is either "true" or "false".

The "Modifier" attribute indicates whether or not the shift, alt and/or ctrl keys are pressed. Each "Modifier" key is assigned a different number. Here is the legend to the Modifier keys:
    Alt = 1
    Ctrl = 2
    Shift = 4
This is a binary attribute, so add keys together when using more than one modifying key.

The "ExtendedKey" attribute is, I think, a Boolean. It is set to 1 (true) whenever an arrow key or a key like "Home" is being used as a hot key. Not 100% sure what else it does.

the "VirtualKey" attribute is the virtual key code of the key being pressed. It is expressed as a decimal number. Here is a link to a web page where you can find most of the virtual key codes so that you can use them with Xion. They are in Hex, so you'll need to convert them with your head :D , the Windows scientific calculator or some other app.

One of the cool things about this is that you can make combinations that the user interface disallows. For example, I wanted to make my play/pause key be the stop key when depressing the shift modifier key - however, the interface doesn't allow it (it doesn't recognize my play/pause key). By editing the proper hotkey key, I was able to easily make Xion recognize the play/pause key as well as using the shift key with it to actuate the stop. Here is my modification for the "Stop" hotkey:

Code: Select All Code
<2 Action="14068" Destination="34790" Enabled="true" Modifier="4" ExtendedKey="0" VirtualKey="179" />

Hope this helps some poor sap in the same situation I was in. At least it's out there now.
Shadeclan
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » September 19th, 2010, 8:52 pm

Good to see you looking at some of the subtle/finer points Shadeclan :)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Shadeclan » September 21st, 2010, 2:43 am

SLoB Wrote:Good to see you looking at some of the subtle/finer points Shadeclan :)

I have my moments. Just wish I had the time to really dig into stuff like this, but family and job must come first.

What really surprised me was that this information was unavailable anywhere on the web. I would have thought that somebody would have come across this years ago and posted their findings - it wasn't that big a deal to figure out, once it occurred to me that there must be a file, hopefully in text format, that contained all the settings for Xion. It is a portable app, after all.
Shadeclan
Xion Supporter

Return to Bugs (Release Build)