Xion Audio Player

Help! Xion runs on my laptop, work,but crashes on desktop!

Discuss potential bugs with other users or try to find out a solution to an existing bug

Postby UnseenRage » November 26th, 2006, 1:16 pm

Doesn't make sense.
Does not matter what version I am running .58 to .64 I still get the same crazy crash. The base gfx files starts up and tries to do the Xion slogan but then just turns off. I never hear more than the first syllable. Runs on all the other computers I have except this one. I even tried the flash drive version I have and that had the same crash.

Any ideas?
UnseenRage
Xion Supporter

Postby KEV-O » November 26th, 2006, 3:39 pm

I dont know... but some skins seem to have more problems than others. Maybe go to a different computer and load a different skin on your flash drive version, and then try it on the computer that's giving you trouble. If that doesn't work, you might try deleting all of the skins except the default because there was a bug with the previews in some skins depending on the version you are running.

These may not help, but it's what I would do! good luck
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby Cliff Cawley » November 26th, 2006, 10:04 pm

This sounds very bizarre. Could you send me a screenshot of the crash window? It won't help me to fix it, but it would help me perhaps see why its crashing.

Also, it might help to upgrade your sound drivers, its a shot in the dark, but it might help

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby UnseenRage » November 27th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Well....it doesn't give a crash window....it just stops running. I restarted my desktop and it worked. Like an idiot I moved some interfaces over from my laptop before I tried to run any music and it crashed again. Now I can't get it started again.
UnseenRage
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » November 27th, 2006, 6:13 pm

UnseenRage Wrote:Well....it doesn't give a crash window....it just stops running. I restarted my desktop and it worked. Like an idiot I moved some interfaces over from my laptop before I tried to run any music and it crashed again. Now I can't get it started again.

To force the settings to reset, delete the Settings.dat file from your Xion directory, then Install back over the top. This will ensure that the default interface gets loaded on startup.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby UnseenRage » December 16th, 2006, 11:16 pm

Now I am just pissed off. Xion has been running perfect on my laptop. Well, last night winXP's automatic updater ran and installed some files. So I reboot and download SLob's pre-released skin abductor (I doubt Slob's skin has any revelance). Never everything has gone to crap. I can't get xion to stay running longer than 5 secs.

I did a clean install of xion 1.58 (completely deleted the directory) and I still can't get the program running. PISSED!

I have spent way too much time making half-finished interfaces :) not to be able to run the player on my laptop or desktop computer.

Cliff....some one....help.
BTW, does anyone know how to find out what the newest crap that winXP placed on my computer so I can maybe help identified the culprit change?
UnseenRage
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » December 17th, 2006, 2:04 am

its highly likely youve now got ie7 with the l8est ms update lol

goto ctl panel, add/remove progs, the updates should be listed ther, altho i wouldnt recommend removing ie7 now if its installed

hmm, Abducted works like a charm on my pc (still xp, not tried it yet on the vista setup)
it does only work with build 64 atm tho, wouldnt like to guess wot it would do to anything less
but i do know wot u mean with some of the skins crashing, Cliff is doing his best to get a new build out soon with some updated components so that will also help stabalise Xion

only other things i can suggest is dl the l8est sound drivers, perhaps post your soundcard/mobo spec and or any more symptoms/specs of actual errors

shame Abducted doesnt work for ya, hope it will soon m8 :)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby UnseenRage » December 18th, 2006, 8:38 am

I could really care-less about using abductor skin at this point. I just want to be able to use Xion period.

I can not be the only person who is having this problem with Xion. There has to be something running ...maybe a .dll file that is shared among xion and other programs that is killing xion.

Cliff....any hints?
UnseenRage
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » December 18th, 2006, 8:46 am

perhaps post your spec, tasks running and ways to reproduce the crash(if not just crashing on startup) as that might help anyone diagnose your issue, if you dont giv enough info how can anyone help?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby SLoB » December 18th, 2006, 9:26 pm

only other thing without you posting any info is to check http://www.programchecker.com or checkout dependancy walker
it could be either .net install or the c/c++ runtimes, those dont look like the correct versions compared to some of the more common applications that use them
both msvcr71.dll, msvcp71.dll have different hashes compared to most
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Cliff Cawley » December 19th, 2006, 7:23 am

UnseenRage Wrote:I could really care-less about using abductor skin at this point. I just want to be able to use Xion period.

I can not be the only person who is having this problem with Xion. There has to be something running ...maybe a .dll file that is shared among xion and other programs that is killing xion.

Cliff....any hints?

At this stage, I can't say what it might be. Could you take a screenshot of the crash window with the details shown? Its possible I can see what module its crashing in, which may help solve the issue.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby UnseenRage » December 20th, 2006, 9:17 am

Well, I found the module that is failing.
----------Simple Library-------------
I did a clean install of 1.58 rev.
Deleted the settings.dat file
Brought up the playlist module and had no problems.
Brought up the library module and Xion crashed.
Deleted the settings.dat file again.
Brought up the playlist and interface and no problems.
Brought up the library module by itself and it crashed also.
I don't know why the library module is crashing. Cliff, still want to see the debug report?
BTW, this fixed the problem on my desktop also.

Slob....abductor rocks! :D
UnseenRage
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » December 20th, 2006, 5:45 pm

UnseenRage Wrote:Well, I found the module that is failing.
----------Simple Library-------------
I did a clean install of 1.58 rev.
Deleted the settings.dat file
Brought up the playlist module and had no problems.
Deleted the settings.dat file again.
Brought up the playlist and interface and no problems.
Brought up the library module by itself and it crashed also.
I don't know why the library module is crashing. Cliff, still want to see the debug report?
BTW, this fixed the problem on my desktop also.

Slob....abductor rocks! :D

Ahh interesting. Perhaps there is a problem with a path that the Library component is detecting. I'd have to try and duplicate your machine setup in order to reproduce it :S

When you enable the library control, does it crash immediately, or only after restarting Xion?

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » December 20th, 2006, 11:53 pm

ah the library, not had any probs with that, wot contents does it have innit and where are you running Xion from?
could it be windows assiging a diff drive letter to the flash drive if using that but yet library filepath is set to something else?

i kno there is an issue on the playlist atm whereby if you have an mp3 from a url for example, play the url song then delete it from the playlist, then press stop and then goto play the song again as it is loaded in the songticker text then Xion crashes, rather than moving onto the next song in the playlist or doing nothing or bring up the open window if no song found
Xion still plays the song loaded if from hdd but removed from the pl

glad you got it almost sorted, thanks for the props :)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby UnseenRage » December 24th, 2006, 4:17 pm

When you enable the library control, does it crash immediately, or only after restarting Xion?

On the laptop it crashes after about 10 seconds. The hard drive will turn on and starts seeking for about 10 seconds. Then I get an error message.

On the desktop it crashes after about 2 seconds. And it does not even bother with showing an error message. Xion just quits.

ah the library, not had any probs with that, wot contents does it have innit and where are you running Xion from?
could it be windows assiging a diff drive letter to the flash drive if using that but yet library filepath is set to something else?

Slob -I am running Xion from the "c:\program files\" directory.

I have not had any problems since I disabled the library module.
UnseenRage
Xion Supporter

Next

Return to Bugs (Release Build)