Xion Audio Player

Xion+Photoshop CS 3 VERY NASTY BUG

Discuss potential bugs with other users or try to find out a solution to an existing bug

Postby eugene2k » July 19th, 2007, 6:01 am

Apparently CS 3 psds aren't quite compatible with previous versions. I remade a skin with CS 3 and although it didn't cause a crash or anything on my Vista PC, it did make Xion behave in a very strange way on my friend's XP machine. The skin loaded fine and was working yesterday. However when my friend tried to run Xion today, all the components were disabled and when she enabled them the computer started to work very slow, getting even slower gradually, but quite fast. I suspect this is due to a memory leak somewhere in the shimmer interface because the PC started slowing down as soon as she enabled it. All the swapping caused by Xion in turn caused a harddrive failure apparently, so, to all who make skins in CS3 - be sure to warn ppl about that fact, this is quite a nasty bug (doesn't seem like a coincidence :)).
eugene2k
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 19th, 2007, 11:21 am

eugene2k Wrote:Apparently CS 3 psds aren't quite compatible with previous versions. I remade a skin with CS 3 and although it didn't cause a crash or anything on my Vista PC, it did make Xion behave in a very strange way on my friend's XP machine. The skin loaded fine and was working yesterday. However when my friend tried to run Xion today, all the components were disabled and when she enabled them the computer started to work very slow, getting even slower gradually, but quite fast. I suspect this is due to a memory leak somewhere in the shimmer interface because the PC started slowing down as soon as she enabled it. All the swapping caused by Xion in turn caused a harddrive failure apparently, so, to all who make skins in CS3 - be sure to warn ppl about that fact, this is quite a nasty bug (doesn't seem like a coincidence :)).

I only have Photoshop 7 and hence have only been able to test it on this version. If you could send me a copy of the Skin that is causing the problem, I could try and pull apart the file format again to figure out what is causing this. Use the Contacts page to attach the zipped PSD file :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby eugene2k » July 19th, 2007, 9:59 pm

sending file please wait...
:)
eugene2k
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 23rd, 2007, 10:57 pm

eugene2k Wrote:sending file please wait...

So far I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. Are you able to reproduce it on more than just your friend's machine?

Does your friend's machine do this with more than just the file you made?

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby eugene2k » July 26th, 2007, 12:42 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:
eugene2k Wrote:sending file please wait...

So far I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. Are you able to reproduce it on more than just your friend's machine?

Does your friend's machine do this with more than just the file you made?

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue as well... Her machine seemed to work fine with the nonmodified version of the skin as well. I asked her again whether her machine started to work slow when she enabled the shimmer interface and she confirmed that, however then she said she couldn't quite remember whether it was when she enabled the interface or when she enabled all of the plugins and started to add files to the playlist (considering she has over 40 gigs of music, this also might have been the reason)
eugene2k
Xion Supporter

Postby KEV-O » July 26th, 2007, 1:42 am

I'm not sure which skin you used, but I've seen some of the larger skins with multiple animations really bog down some of my friends' computers who may be running older systems that can't handle it. But the 40 gigs of music might do it too! lol
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 26th, 2007, 7:05 am

KEV-O Wrote:I'm not sure which skin you used, but I've seen some of the larger skins with multiple animations really bog down some of my friends' computers who may be running older systems that can't handle it. But the 40 gigs of music might do it too! lol

Hopefully if I can get Hardware rendering working as I'd like, it will completely eliminate the problems of "larger skins" causing slow downs. "larger skins" will hopefully be a thing of the past ;)

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby eugene2k » July 26th, 2007, 1:39 pm

KEV-O Wrote:I'm not sure which skin you used, but I've seen some of the larger skins with multiple animations really bog down some of my friends' computers who may be running older systems that can't handle it. But the 40 gigs of music might do it too! lol

It's ebonite painted in pink :)
eugene2k
Xion Supporter

Postby ALAS » July 26th, 2007, 7:10 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:"larger skins" will hopefully be a thing of the past ;)

by now I´m really getting anxious to the next (obviously turbo-) build :-)
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » July 26th, 2007, 7:12 pm

ALAS Wrote:
Cliff Cawley Wrote:"larger skins" will hopefully be a thing of the past ;)

by now I´m really getting anxious to the next (obviously turbo-) build :-)

Haha it might be a way off yet, I don't even know if the idea is going to work. I'll let you all know as soon as I find out though.

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby KEV-O » September 21st, 2007, 2:31 am

Cliff, since I've been back at school, we use CS3 here, and of course I've been skinning while the teacher isn't looking. It seems that whenever I bring a .psd file from home (where I use just CS), and then edit it with CS3 and save it again, the skin developes weird bugs. For example, when it is fading in for the first time, it will flicker back and forth between the skin and a weird highlighted box area. I managed to capture that in a screenshot:

Since photoshop seems to release a new version almost every year, I hope it can be fixed! Thanks Cliff!
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » September 21st, 2007, 6:12 am

yea its getting a bit silly with ps releases, same with all software really but more so the hardware, anyways enuff of that ;)
i was using ps 7 for years with not really many issues, now on cs1 again more than a year, although I will be getting cs3 for my business vshortly so will no doubt see the same issues as your getting Kev, hope Cliff can fix this, we can always test any builds, but really Cliff needs to repro it so he can fix it
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby KEV-O » September 21st, 2007, 2:00 pm

Yeah, it's really strange. I get other odd behaviors too like broken volume sliders and messed up animations. I'm sure adobe changed some little thing in their .psd format that will make Cliff have to jump through hoops to keep xion working. I'm just glad I saved a backup copy of my skins before I edited them in cs3! I hope you can fix it Cliff! Of course by the time it's fixed, we'll probably have Photoshop CS97 with a whole slew of new bugs. :roll:
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » September 21st, 2007, 8:32 pm

just looking at the pic again says to me it could be possibly that new area layer thing Cliff put in so that the skin adjusts its snap size according to the skin dimensions, just an idea
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Halonut1 » September 21st, 2007, 8:40 pm

I use CS two. and i dont see any bugs. although the only weird thing is _over stuff dont "turn on" until i click the skin itself somewhere else. dunno if thats a bug or normal...

CS97? By that time i hope we will have 4D rendering systems and real time AI XD
Yo...
you can find all my skins primarily on my DeviantART account.
http://halonut1.deviantart.com/
Halonut1
Xion Admirer

Next

Return to Bugs (Release Build)