Xion Audio Player

Choppy playback on network files

Discuss potential bugs with other users or try to find out a solution to an existing bug

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 10th, 2008, 5:25 pm

Pretty much all of my family's music files are stored on one PC that has its music folder shared over the wireless network. Sometimes files played on a different PC over this network sound like a broken record. The same files play fine in WMP. I'm wondering if Xion buffers such files at all... if not, I'm thinking it would help to do so.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby SLoB » May 11th, 2008, 12:35 am

it does buffer them afaik

whats the speed of your wireless network? are you using a router?

i have a wireless router but the wireless part of it is disabled as i have no need for it but the router is one of the top routers out there, perhaps try connecting a cable to it instead to test

i use a lacie ethernet external drive 500gb and store my music on that now, its connected to my gb router.

a bit more info from you might help
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 11th, 2008, 4:14 am

SLoB Wrote:it does buffer them afaik

whats the speed of your wireless network? are you using a router?

i have a wireless router but the wireless part of it is disabled as i have no need for it but the router is one of the top routers out there, perhaps try connecting a cable to it instead to test

i use a lacie ethernet external drive 500gb and store my music on that now, its connected to my gb router.

a bit more info from you might help

I believe it's 54 mbps, and with almost perfect signal strength at the computer with the files, while my computer is hard wired to the router. Unfortunately my dad refuses to run LAN cables through the walls, so my best option is probably to copy that music over to another drive... maybe I'll buy myself a decent external someday.

Any more info you want?
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby SLoB » May 11th, 2008, 4:33 am

from the sounds of it, u have a good connection albeit a bit slow, your not experiencing any dropouts from it at all? are you getting any packetloss from it?
you can try pinging with the -t switch from your pc to the share, then ctl c to stop over a period of time, then you can see if your gerring any periods of slowdown

if its not that then its prolly a combination of speed and possible buffering, are you using onboard sound or dedicated card? if dedicated you might be able to alter the buffer size in that
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 11th, 2008, 5:32 am

SLoB Wrote:are you getting any packetloss from it?
you can try pinging with the -t switch from your pc to the share, then ctl c to stop over a period of time, then you can see if your gerring any periods of slowdown

I'm afraid this is Chinese to me

As for the hardware: Logitech USB headset, onboard sound on an Asus M2A-MVP motherboard, using a Killer K1 network card in my computer, a Versalink 327W router, and a Belkin wireless G card in the other PC
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » May 11th, 2008, 9:01 am

If you download said files to your computer by hand and then play them, do they sound okay?

If yes, then it probably is a network buffer kind of bug, or perhaps just a small mixup on Cliff's part.

A theory: When buffering sound from the network, Xion acts a little silly and buffers it as if it were a low rate radio stream.

Just a wild guess, but maybe i got it right.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Cliff Cawley » May 11th, 2008, 11:52 pm

It may just be a case of increasing the buffer read size. I'll probably open this up as an option as tweaking it one way means you get larger pauses in between enabling effects, etc.

Thanks for the report :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 12th, 2008, 4:38 am

logokas Wrote:If you download said files to your computer by hand and then play them, do they sound okay?

yes they do
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Postby zeroone » June 7th, 2008, 10:05 am

I wanted to test this out and see if it happened to me on my wireless connection.
All my music is stored on a PC in another room of my house and I have a wireless connection so I brought out my laptop and gave it a whirl.
I have a 54Mbps 'advertised' connection with full signal strength, which actually on its way to the other PC travels through two other gigabit switches.
Anyways, In the course of playing three songs I heard it skip once. I'm still listening to see if it happens again.

The song was playing normally and then it skipped backwards about a half a second then started playing again.

It may also be worth noting that I am doing nothing else on this PC over the wireless, aside from writing this message so if it is a traffic thing, I wouldn't know.

I have the latest beta build and am running Windows XP w/ SP3
zeroone
Xion Supporter

Return to Bugs (Release Build)