Xion Audio Player

Unable to install skin.

Discuss potential bugs with other users or try to find out a solution to an existing bug

Postby arcanefixation » August 25th, 2008, 12:27 am

Ok, I tried searching around the site but I could find anything. I hope I didn't miss it. I'm pretty sure the answers prolly staring me in the face but, everytime I try to install a skin and I click install on the pop-up, it says:

Unable to install skin. Does one exist that is read-only?

I'm running a Vista 32-bit, Home Premium. I tried running Xion as administrator, but to no avail. Dragging the skin onto Xion works, but it doesn't install. It uses the skin, but when I check my skin directory it's not there.

It worked fine before, until I had to uninstall and then reinstall it. No problems last time I used it. Help? Thanks. :D
arcanefixation
Xion Supporter

Postby ALAS » August 25th, 2008, 4:58 pm

I´m sure it has something to do with vista and the rights you have for the xion folder. Try to get all rights for the interfaces folder of xion (or the r2 studios folder with subfolders) manually ...
:)
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby arcanefixation » August 27th, 2008, 8:06 pm

ALAS Wrote:I´m sure it has something to do with vista and the rights you have for the xion folder. Try to get all rights for the interfaces folder of xion (or the r2 studios folder with subfolders) manually ...
:)

I'm sorry :oops: , but umm I honestly don't know how to do any of that. I'm kind of clueless? Umm any further help would be appreciated. Thanks.
arcanefixation
Xion Supporter

Postby OfficerMike07 » August 27th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Try moving the skin package (.xsf file) to the correct folder yourself. That folder is C:\Program Files\r2 Studios\Xion\Interfaces unless you installed Xion in a different location.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby arcanefixation » August 28th, 2008, 12:53 am

Yeah. That works. Thanks!

I knew I was overlooking something that would bypass the problem. Thanks again.

One thing though, you know how you can close the player and it starts up again from where you left off? That's what my Xion used to do. Now, I have to run it as administrator mode first for it to actually save any of my changes (whether it be for skin, or anything else). I did not have this problem before. Anyone know what's really up with my Xion? I mean, I could just set it to run as administrator all the time, but that's annoying because I'd have to deal with the UAC everytime I open it up. I know for a fact that this didn't happen before (same computer, same system). Anyone know a final solution that isn't a workaround? Like, do I have to change some permissions and stuff? And how do I do that?

Thanks so much. :D
arcanefixation
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » August 28th, 2008, 1:07 am

yea use xp ;)
vista is cack lol bloody uac heheh
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby OfficerMike07 » August 28th, 2008, 4:20 am

You're welcome!

I still love Vista... I've disabled UAC on two of my three Vista machines (the third is only used for Media Center, so I don't get pestered by permissions) and I don't regret it. You could do the same if you want to skip the nagging (and sacrifice a tiny bit of security) by opening User Accounts and turning UAC off. Other than that, I don't know how to get your settings to save.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby ALAS » August 28th, 2008, 4:25 pm

arcanefixation Wrote:Like, do I have to change some permissions and stuff? And how do I do that?

:D

That´s what I meant. But there might be another reason for your problems:

Did you update your vista (either all updates one by one or with SP1)? I remember that vista in the "raw" version mixed up some things concerning permissions. E. g. I couldn´t even see the photoshop files in explorer, although I had made them. But Photoshop could! So there were heavy restrictions to files/folders depending on who or what wanted to use them. That was fixed after I did all updates...

Maybe that helps with just doing one step (install SP1)...

Btw. I left UAC turned on and only in some special cases, in which it is reasonable, it interrupts my work and needs some confirmation, that´s all... so I´m let´s say ´not unhappy´with it :-)
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby OfficerMike07 » August 28th, 2008, 11:32 pm

ALAS Wrote:Btw. I left UAC turned on and only in some special cases, in which it is reasonable, it interrupts my work and needs some confirmation, that´s all... so I´m let´s say ´not unhappy´with it :-)

What UAC really needs is to be able to learn permissions. That way we don't get asked the same question over and over.
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » August 28th, 2008, 11:37 pm

are you really sure you want it to do that?

yes auto learn should be in there, yea i clicked to do that cos i wanted to not for the bloody fun of it ;)

heheh ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby OfficerMike07 » August 29th, 2008, 4:45 am

SLoB Wrote:are you really sure you want it to do that?

In the next version of Windows, UAC will ask in a form today's youth can understand: "orly?" followed by a redundant "srsly?"
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Return to Bugs (Release Build)