Xion Audio Player

mUOn

Post your latest skin designs and receive feedback before you release

Postby xonenine » April 10th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Well, I don't know where I'm going with this idea but Athena and Sailor Moon are dancing on my desktop now. I'll get them tuned and paint some new dancing girls after I'm satisfied with how they move.

Being it's a stage, I think I'll make the Mugen skin with this concept... :)

Last edited by xonenine on May 17th, 2009, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » April 11th, 2009, 6:50 am

The fighting sprites really adapt well to dancing, with all their twirls, kicks, etc.

Nevertheless I can see that I'll have to split this idea into two skins also, one as a fighting skin, and one as the dancers.

For those interested, I will be posting a no fuss how-to on ripping and creating sprites for Photoshop, GIF Construction Set, and PSP/Jasc Animation shop animations. :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Jikaru » April 11th, 2009, 10:30 pm

sprite ripping is easy as hell, all you do is (if the quality is good) magic wand with 0 blend/fuzz or whatever that number is called and cut it out, then place each frame on a separate layer...and setup xion to do the animation...done.
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby xonenine » April 12th, 2009, 2:40 am

There isn't anything to cut out, though I'm not sure what format you're working with.

These are pcx's which have been extracted from an sff file. The tools are sprmaker, SFFextract, and a front-end for SFFextract.The pcxs are then renamed as you say, into a layer set. (assuming you don't plan to change the sprites in any way)

They can also be saved as psds, saving a step.

I wil of course mention that the sprite authors ask to be credited on their sites, so for me it's either rebuild them or don't use them without at least a repaint.

If you mean something like using sprite sheets, or screenshots, well that's kind of primitive compared to this method. I get several hundred images from a sprite, and I can make them from scratch, etc.

Edit: :) I'm not shooting for an easy way to cut something out, etc. But thanks, really. I'd rather stick w/ the "learn how they do that" method. :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Jikaru » April 12th, 2009, 10:20 am

I didn't know there was a different way to using sprite sheets. I would just have the png with either a pre-existing alpha bg or just cut the "magic pink" from the sprite sheet and just separate each frame of animation.

I used to sprite a REALLY long time ago which is why my ways are still primitive, and I still think this way is the easiest/fastest...mostly because im not really interested in having dancing sprites on my desktop..hehe :p
Jikaru
Xion Fan

Postby xonenine » April 12th, 2009, 10:27 am

exactly, some times I just get in the mood to make them... :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » April 12th, 2009, 1:25 pm

They're already dancing pretty well...

I'll see how a spinning floor would look under them...
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby Lance » April 12th, 2009, 10:25 pm

*patiently waits for working demo*

EDIT: I find this interesting actually as I had a dancer idea a while ago but slightly different (actually quite a lot) but I never got around to even trying. I think this may inspire me to continue with the idea :)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby xonenine » April 12th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Well, that certainly inspires me more, too. I'm still hoping one day we all get to paint a similar theme and see all the different results.Thanks! :)
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » April 13th, 2009, 2:23 am

update: added see-through floor with flashing disco lights in the floor. It's a test floor and not the final one, hehe. I can't wait to paint the sprites, but I won't rush.

I gotta say, this looks and plays way better than I expected. The animations are responding so well.

I can see a whole series of these... :)

xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » April 16th, 2009, 9:49 am

This is the beginning of the mugen player... :)

I'll add reflections and perspective shadows next. The MAME skin will be nice too. I'm thinking Cyberbot Full Metal Madness.

xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » April 20th, 2009, 10:44 am

One sprite is transformed, I gave her a haircut, removed her socks, changed her blouse to a halter top and kept the cuffs for bracelets.Sprites really are fun to paint, I'll touch her up as I paint sprite #2.

Next it looks like I'll cast the three shadows large on the wall behind them w/ floor reflections as well. Then add either an animated "onscreen" intro, or make doors for the screen. I think the onscreen animation is better. :)

Edit: I did take the time to learn Aftertouch so I could throw my electrified Glave in slow-motion playing Dark Sector, hehe, what a great game...

Edit: I gave it a door, don't know if I'll keep it, probably not, it looks suspiciously like an electric razor. I'll play w/ the sliding door insert.

xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby xonenine » May 17th, 2009, 8:41 am

This is a mUOn pre release, I'd be happy to hear opinions about the dancers. Try to keep in mind I haven't tuned the center dancer yet, or repainted her.
Thanks, xonenine :)
http://www.4shared.com/file/105813055/5f3d9f0d/mUOn.html
xonenine
Xion Freak

Postby djinn2 » May 17th, 2009, 9:41 am

I like it a lot so far mate, even the floor :wink:

I think that the dance part of it is great, maybe smooth the moves out a bit and add some background. Not too much detail though as it'd detract from the dancers.

I like the sliding door but I think it should be replaced by the whole display sliding down into the base as it leaves too much blank space. Add some vis elements to the base that are only active when the display is hidden and some mouse-overs for the buttons; maybe indicators in the track title area?

And i've just had a really scary idea for you. What about toggling the dance window into a playlist area? Make it look like a Highscore screen :D
djinn2
Xion Admirer

Postby xonenine » May 17th, 2009, 10:51 am

Thanks djinn! I'm definitely w/ you on the door, I'm going to try the playlist rolling down animation by switching .psds to one w/ the playlist. This means in effect that if people click playlist by right clicking, the skin will "double", and if they use my playlist button, it won't. At least that's what I'll be working w/ to start...
Hehe, I realized I put two of your ideas together there...This way the door would roll down and then turn into the playlist.

I like the other idea about as much tho, hehe. If it slides down smaller, more people will likely enjoy it.

The rest I will work on shaping up, 'specially that middle girl, and the "real time" shadow cast on the back wall is what I'm counting on for that final special touch. Also, I'll add a patterned skin choice, like a Louis Vuitton handbag or some such. :)

I have three really good ideas to think about now! Thanks alot!.
xonenine
Xion Freak

Next

Return to Pre-Release Skin Designs