Xion Audio Player

XDJ 1.0 Pre-release

Post your latest skin designs and receive feedback before you release

Postby ForceField » April 14th, 2008, 2:00 am

WoWoWoW!!! In BOLD(I am speaking of the WoWoWoW!!!)

Lance I just Checked your site and your designs are all amazing!

My advice is to import all of them to Xion(well,because it is simply painless to skin)
Once you made the drawing,you already finished the skin.

Welcome
ForceField
Xion Admirer

Postby Lance » April 14th, 2008, 3:02 am

Lance I just Checked your site and your designs are all amazing!

My advice is to import all of them to Xion(well,because it is simply painless to skin)
Once you made the drawing,you already finished the skin.

Hehe cheers man. :)

Well, I won't be skinning any of those in my folio for a few reasons. One being that they were never designed for specific use. Although it IS easy to skin, I'd rather create something from scratch and think about it's usability, if it's going to be skinned. Secondly, they're massive! Most of my interfaces are way too oversized for a decent looking skin. They were designed as something just to look at, not to use. Thirdly, they're actually really old now, and I'm sick of seeing them haha :P Lots of old techniques used and such.

I prefer to be fresh andc reate something new, which is exactly what I intend on doing with Xion skins! Thanks again dude :)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » April 14th, 2008, 8:05 am

Here's what i think you should change a bit

The titlebar should be longer because most titles are rather long and scrolling can become very annoying.

The blue LED light is a nifty little detail but it's not easy to see the effect itself. Perhaps you can bring it out more? Like say, make it VU animated and give more light to it.

The side VU meters seem too soft, weak. Making them more saturated and strong should give them a nicer look. You should also map them to another frequency rather than the same as the middle VUs.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby ALAS » April 14th, 2008, 8:20 am

had been almost offline for some time so I didn´t download anything so far. Late, but now downloaded your prerelease, it´s really impressing.
The blue LED is the icing on the cake to me. Perfect would be, if the marks on the turn-table (I don´t know the correct english term) would stand still within the blue light when turning, like the it is for the real stroboscope there.

For the pause states I would suggest to keep the tables turning but only lift the pick-ups (maybe that can be realized by a correct shadow for the lifting pick-ups)

Btw had a look at your website, cool works there. I like the decent use of few colors...
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby Lance » April 14th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Thanks a lot guys.

I'm really interested in your ideas! Logokas, those blue LED's aren't supposed to flash, but I will increase their brightness a little bit. ALAS, Good idea also with the dots standing still. I was going to do that originally. I have an idea of how to make that look decent anyway. I'll just overlay a still image crop and animate ever so slightly to make it look as if the platter is wobbling a small amount as it turns. Details mean everything hehe.

As for lifting the arm during pause state, I would love to do that more than anything! I wanted that from the start, but soon realized just how tedious that could be. I can't quite figure out how I would do that. Of course, it's easy to create a lifting animation for each frame of it moving accross, but how would I determine which lifting frames to play, based on it's animation? I have a method in my head, but it would require a lot tedious work and triggers. Also it would require animations within animations, which aren't currently supported *hint*.

So for now, I'll touch up the blue lights and the side meters. By the way, I originally wanted to map the side peaks to the bass freq, but chose not too seen as it's only for beta release so far. I will change once it's standard. Thanks again! :D

EDIT: I just realized that it's only the bass transparency that's in beta, not the slider indicater. So I'll see what I can do with that :)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby ALAS » April 15th, 2008, 1:16 am

for the lifting it might be ok to use a simple indi_pause layer which shows the new shadow and hides the normal one. It´s only a small angle difference between the down (angled to the tone-arm as it is now) and the lifted state (in parallel to the tone-arm). The regular fade between both states might let it look good... I would give it a try :-)
ALAS
Xion Fan

Previous

Return to Pre-Release Skin Designs