Xion Audio Player

XDJ 1.0 Pre-release

Post your latest skin designs and receive feedback before you release

Postby Lance » April 12th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Hey peoples. I've been developing my first Xion skin which you can preview above. I've been designing interfaces for a couple years but only recently discovered Xion. It's like the answer I've been waiting for hehe. Anyway, here's a run through of its...features, lol.

"Features"

* Fully animated DJ themed skin with authentic rotating decks and mixer interface.
* Click and drag the tonearms accross the records to skip through the track.
* Realistic, thoughtful design to make any DJ feel right at home.
* Looks great on virtually any background!

Download Update Skin
Download Old Skin (with blended frame animation for tonearms. Turns out it's quite annoying)

Have fun peoples. Feedback more than welcome. If the majority of you like it, I'll put it up for download on the main site and Deviant Art. 8) Although, I may decide to design a couple more compact player modes first.

Peace, Lance
Last edited by Lance on April 13th, 2008, 7:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby zakai1369 » April 12th, 2008, 12:34 pm

Awesome job. 8)
zakai1369
Xion Supporter

Postby dredd » April 12th, 2008, 8:13 pm

Lance, I took a look at your web site and I just wanted to say that's amazing stuff you have been doing and I'm really looking forward to your next contributions to this community. Take care!
dredd
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » April 12th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Looks cool Lance

one thing with it tho, if you click and drag the arm and leave the mouse button pressed down and to the left Xion seems to go a bit spastic and loops through the playlist, all manner of things flickering and stuff, not seen it do that in a while

Cliff you might want to check that out
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby logokas » April 13th, 2008, 5:51 am

Very impressed by the design, excellent work.

It also goes well together with my Windowblinds skin, Xaphire. Very good in my opinion.

There seems to be a slight blur while changing progress of the song, is this intended?
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Lance » April 13th, 2008, 7:06 am

Hey thanks for the great feedback guys :)

Logokas, the blur is intended yes. I didn't want it to just instantly skip really sharp so I used the fadebetween action. I'm not too keen on how it looks myself but I can't do anything about that. But I still thinks it's better than having it jerky and sharp.

Thanks again guys.

EDIT: Actually, you know what? I think I do like it without the fade. The drag is much much cleaner and faster. The fade causes the dragging to become really sluggish. I wish I could disable the fade on a drag. Oh well.

Here's an alternate download without the fade. Let me know what you think.
Download

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Halonut1 » April 13th, 2008, 8:21 am

Very very nice!
Yo...
you can find all my skins primarily on my DeviantART account.
http://halonut1.deviantart.com/
Halonut1
Xion Admirer

Postby Lance » April 13th, 2008, 8:39 am

Halonut1 Wrote:Very very nice!

Heythanks buddy :) Appreciated.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby logokas » April 13th, 2008, 9:04 am

Yes, it's much better without the fade.

But since it's an analog stick, it should move in that old fashioned way aswell, at least by a few pixels, you know.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Lance » April 13th, 2008, 11:31 am

logokas Wrote:Yes, it's much better without the fade.

But since it's an analog stick, it should move in that old fashioned way aswell, at least by a few pixels, you know.

Not quite sure what you mean there man. That old fashioned way?

EDIT: If you mean the amount of frames it takes to get accross, well there's 18 already. I didn't really want to put too many in there as it was tedious work as it was haha. That's why I originally used the blending to cheat P

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 13th, 2008, 11:59 am

SLoB Wrote:Looks cool Lance

one thing with it tho, if you click and drag the arm and leave the mouse button pressed down and to the left Xion seems to go a bit spastic and loops through the playlist, all manner of things flickering and stuff, not seen it do that in a while

Cliff you might want to check that out

This is fine. Its because you're forcing it to always skip to the end, its then going to the next track and etc, etc.

You can see the same thing occur in Winamp if you constantly click at the end of the track. Winamp doesn't update the track Position until you let go of the button though.

I could do this too, but it means you can't hear where its up to as you drag the slider.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Lance » April 13th, 2008, 12:08 pm

Yeah dude that is quite an anoying thing! Not just this skin though of course. Does it with any progress bar. I like the skip sound, well on this skin anyway. Makes sense with it being a vinyl. Is there anyway you could stop it from updating at like the last 5 seconds of the track? Lol I dono. If not, I guess winamps way is good with the update on release.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 13th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Lance Wrote:Yeah dude that is quite an anoying thing! Not just this skin though of course. Does it with any progress bar. I like the skip sound, well on this skin anyway. Makes sense with it being a vinyl. Is there anyway you could stop it from updating at like the last 5 seconds of the track? Lol I dono. If not, I guess winamps way is good with the update on release.

Peace, Lance

The only viable option would be to make it seek on release. I guess I could start a poll to see if anyone minds it changing to seek when you release, instead of constantly.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » April 13th, 2008, 6:29 pm

i'm not a fan of the constant due to the high volume i play tracks at lol, then its just a mish mash of garbled guitar solos/notes that are more of a pain than hearable

for all winamp skins we use the seek ghost so that the ghost thumb goes to the seek position, you know where its seeking to cos we put in code for it on the songticker

I think it should work the same as wa imo

I guess its only really come to light as the progress bar is really short for the drag so is more noticeable, but in any event to have it scroll thru the playlist is possibly not the best way forward
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » April 13th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Aye I think I agree to be honest. The ghost tab is much better for usability. I'm just not sure how it would look dragging out a second ghost tonearm, kinda ruins the effect. Unless you could have the option to use a ghost or not :P "sliderghost" right above "sliderbit" :idea: Haha. I'm happy with whatever though, Xion is almighty nomatter what.

Peace, Lance

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Next

Return to Pre-Release Skin Designs