Xion Audio Player

Grrrrr, canNOT find the Spectrum Analyzer skin location

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby deema » January 8th, 2014, 6:12 am

SO, and I mean, SO frustrating. It isn't with the default skins in the install directory or the added skins in Docs, is that right? CLEARLY, i am missing something that must be terribly simple.

I have done a keyword search for spectrum in this forum and there is some discussion, but as far as I was able to see, the results don't lead to a folder path, although one has a .psd, which was cool, but it didn't elaborate on where that .psd goes.

I am not at all up to speed on skinning Xion, and I simply don't have the time to get too savvy. I did the "creating your own skin" tutorial but neither it nor the following tuts, that I saw, answered this question. I am trying to implement Xion as the exclusive audio player for a deadmau5 "themed" release of my own software, Splinter, a freeware desktop interface-y app, easiest way to describe. 35 completely insanely interactive wallpapers with a custom Xion skin on each page.(maybe one that you made is included. I have already chosen the skins for half the pages from the gallery, here.)ALL I need to do now ( thanks to the additions that Cliff already implemented in the upcoming build 155) is figure out where the spectrum analyzer skin is located in Windows so that I can switch it out with one that does not have a visible border or window, so that I can have that/those accompany each skin rather than having to use either a flash or samurize spectrum analyzer for each page, lessening the overall effect of Xion, in a sense.

It would be much "cooler" if it was just Spinter and Xion that dabble in this deadmau5 desktop dreamland than adding other "uneeded" software and watering it down.

Definitely doing this for Xion, NOT Splinter. Irrelevant to the splinterface build what I use as long as it performs correctly. But I want to show my appreciation for this badass app, sort of the Splinter of audio players, where anything can be anything, and show Xion's abilities as best they can be.

Ridiculous length to this post for such a simple query. It is the aspie in me, whataya gonna do.....

Thanks, yo

PS.....HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLO, Lance?!?!?!?!??!?!?!? You asked about your possible design input on this splinterface. I have replied to you here, and on dA, but haven't heard back. If you want anything to do with it upon initial release, you betta get at me, quickly. (you can always, later, add to or edit the released splinterface, in any way, as a splinterface is effectively a bunch of skins, kinda, sorta. But it won't be as cool as on initial release, and I "only" offer cause I found out about Xion through your dA gallery, and owe ya one.)
Splinter, Anything Can Be Anything

Blood type O Negative, I bleed zeros and ones
deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » January 8th, 2014, 6:33 am

Yo!

To draw the spectrum in a skin, the layer keyword is visualisation. So, you can draw a rectangle of any shape and size you want, name the layer with that word, and it will draw the spectrum (just the lines themselves, no background or border). You can find this under "Special Render Objects" on the help page.

Alternatively, you have control over animating all 28 bands individually by using the keyword specbandbt(x) with x being numbers 1-28 and bt being rendered bottom to top (you may use tb, lr, and rl also). You can find these under "Slider Objects" on the help page. [Note to Cliff: You should probably put those in the Special Render to be honest]

I may chime in at a later date with the splinterface stuff, I think I'm in danger of taking on too much at the moment. I'll need a bit of time to familiarize myself with the system anyway.
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby deema » January 8th, 2014, 8:20 am

Lance Wrote:Yo!

To draw the spectrum in a skin, the layer keyword is visualisation. So, you can draw a rectangle of any shape and size you want, name the layer with that word, and it will draw the spectrum (just the lines themselves, no background or border). You can find this under "Special Render Objects" on the help page.

Alternatively, you have control over animating all 28 bands individually by using the keyword specbandbt(x) with x being numbers 1-28 and bt being rendered bottom to top (you may use tb, lr, and rl also). You can find these under "Slider Objects" on the help page. [Note to Cliff: You should probably put those in the Special Render to be honest]

I may chime in at a later date with the splinterface stuff, I think I'm in danger of taking on too much at the moment. I'll need a bit of time to familiarize myself with the system anyway.

Nice nice nice. Thank you big time, really appreciate it. And about deadmau5 dishin (splinterface name), no worries, this is only a courtesy offer, not a need. I'll send you a pm this week with a link to a vid clip of it, and then whatevs is whatevs.

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » January 8th, 2014, 9:39 am

Sounds good dude.

And sorry for no reply on dA, I don't check it too often these days. Yeah hit me up some time. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together. =]

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby deema » January 8th, 2014, 10:47 am

Lance Wrote:Y

Okay, cool, so I think I "got" it, thank you. I created the visualisation layer and the spectrum appeared. But I was unable to move it. I named the layer "visualisation moveable", is that not correct? Is the visualisation layer not capable of holding the moveable keyword?

This may or may not matter with the addition Cliff has made, I am just trying to get as much info as possible on specific things that will alter how I proceed. Seems that it will all work the way I desire, one way or another, though.

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » January 8th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Yeah I don't think moveable works on some special render layers. You could always add a strip to the bottom of it or some sort of minimal dragging area/block. Glad to know to you're nearing your goal, though!

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 8th, 2014, 9:32 pm

deema Wrote:I named the layer "visualisation moveable", is that not correct? Is the visualisation layer not capable of holding the moveable keyword?

Ah, the vis layer would respond to you pressing the mouse down, to change from vu to spec, I've now moved this from down to up instead, so that the moveable keyword will work and allow you to move the skin around in build 155 :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby deema » January 9th, 2014, 12:00 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:
deema Wrote:I named the layer "visualisation moveable", is that not correct? Is the visualisation layer not capable of holding the moveable keyword?

Ah, the vis layer would respond to you pressing the mouse down, to change from vu to spec, I've now moved this from down to up instead, so that the moveable keyword will work and allow you to move the skin around in build 155 :)

Really nice good quick fix

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby deema » January 9th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Yes, creating a layer above vis layer with 1% opacity allows for dragging from the spectrum

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 9th, 2014, 8:39 pm

While that will work, it'll mean you can't click on the visualisation to change it between spectrum and oscilliscope
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby deema » January 9th, 2014, 11:15 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:While that will work, it'll mean you can't click on the visualisation to change it between spectrum and oscilliscope

HA, no, it doesn't, necessarily.. Place the moveable layer only over HALF of the vis layer. Left side to move, right side to change vis. :D

deema
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » January 10th, 2014, 2:12 am

An overlay will work for sure, but even 1% is visible. I still reckon a small square in the bottom corner or a line underneath would be the best bet. You could even have it appear on mouse over (I think...maybe) so it's not always there as a distraction.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby deema » January 10th, 2014, 3:04 am

EDIT---- haha... So, the post I am replacing came at about hour number 60 without sleep. Funny stuff. I'm gonna go through and pick out the relevant info, if there was any, and post back. :lol:

deema
Xion Supporter

Return to General Skin Discussion