Xion Audio Player

skinned Playlist resize in only one direction?

Skinning Questions, Suggestions and Ideas

Postby regener8ed » January 9th, 2014, 3:15 am

Has anyone successfully made a resizeable playlist window which stretches in only one direction but not the other? (either only horizontally or only vertically)
regener8ed
Xion Supporter

Postby logokas » January 9th, 2014, 9:17 am

That is not possible, as the playlist uses default Windows resize controls. Cliff would have to disable that in some way to put in resize restrictions.
I shoot and ask questions later.

Take no offense of it.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Lance » January 9th, 2014, 1:49 pm

I just tried it myself. It does in fact work, but there's a couple of strange artifacts.

I renamed all four corner border layers to anchors instead, and the left and right borders to dual anchors with tile. This left just the top and bottom edges resizable (vertical resizing only). The weird thing, though, was that without the remaining borders, the borderbk has no idea how to contain itself and fills out the entire PSD canvas horizontally. This would of course not be a problem if your PL had a perfectly flush edge with your canvas (i.e. no shadows, etc...)

Alternatively, I did the same as above but replaced the said borders with edges instead in hopes that it would contain the background. No luck and results in the exact same result.

The mechanics are definitely possible but with a few visual issues.

EDIT: I just noticed too that if the skin you're switching from had a really wide playlist, your new one will still inherit the width and you're stuck with it.

Though not quite working properly, I can't imagine it being too much work to tie up these artifacts. The framework is already in place (lol punny). Again, though, if your edges are flush with your psd canvas, this already works perfectly, minus the inherited width (which can be fixed by resetting the window size in settings.)
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » January 9th, 2014, 4:29 pm

logokas Wrote:That is not possible, as the playlist uses default Windows resize controls. Cliff would have to disable that in some way to put in resize restrictions.

Actually I just use a default Windows List control. The resize controls are all custom.

Lance Wrote:I just tried it myself. It does in fact work, but there's a couple of strange artifacts.

Yeah I would have thought what you tried would have worked Lance. Send me the PSD you made and I'll run some tests here to see what I can do.

Inheriting the Width is something I hadn't handled properly because I never imagined people creating fixed sizes playlists :P

I'll take a look at that too if I get a chance.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby regener8ed » January 9th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Lance Wrote:The weird thing, though, was that without the remaining borders, the borderbk has no idea how to contain itself and fills out the entire PSD canvas horizontally.

Alternatively, I did the same as above but replaced the said borders with edges instead in hopes that it would contain the background. No luck and results in the exact same result.

EDIT: I just noticed too that if the skin you're switching from had a really wide playlist, your new one will still inherit the width and you're stuck with it.

yep, sounds exactly like what i was seeing. thanks for the feedback.
regener8ed
Xion Supporter

Postby Lance » January 10th, 2014, 2:08 am

Cliff Cawley Wrote:Send me the PSD you made and I'll run some tests here to see what I can do.

I just used my XDJ3 PL which is setup exactly the same as the default, so just go ahead and rename the appropriate layers on that. I've added helpful notes in the PSD so you can find it easily =]
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby Ruthie » March 1st, 2014, 1:59 pm

I've been scratching my head over this for 2 weeks. I made my very first player skin with about 6 hours of work. But the playlist skin is about to kill me. I've been using the layer list for help and also the default playlist skin. While the main player skin was really simple (as a minimalist skin), this has me totally flummoxed. I think what's not helping my issues is that my player skin is a diamond with corners just slightly cut off, and I'm trying to get my playlist skin to fit against it, so that the top edges of the playlist hug the bottom half of the player. I think part of my issue is my not understanding borders/tiles/edges/anchors, etc. I want my playlist skin to expand only from the bottom, but I want it moveable from anywhere there isn't active content, ie the menu/action buttons, search field/clear button, slider, and the actual playlist itself. I would love for there to be a way for the playlist to grab the player, but haven't seen any kind of reference to that anywhere...plus, I think I'm making more trouble for myself lol!

Anyone that can help, or point me in the direction of a detailed skin tutorial and help me understand the post above about edges/anchors, etc...I would be extremely grateful.
~~~Ruthie~~~
Believe zit ore knot; spell check is Jupiter then ewe is!
http://ruthieznet.weebly.com/
Ruthie
Xion Supporter

Return to General Skin Discussion