Xion Audio Player

Next Xion build

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Postby Cliff Cawley » May 28th, 2007, 8:19 pm

So I've been rather busy at work lately and have been unable to get much Xion work done. Things are going to be a little hectic for a little longer, however not as bad as they were. My question to you, the community is: "What do you want next?"

I'd like to hear your top 3 suggestions. Try, if possible to take them from the Feature Requests Thread so that they stay relevant and we can work through that list first. I plan on making more regular updates to Xion, so with an idea from the community where you'd like to go, I'll do my best to take it there.

I do have my own ideas for where I'd like to take Xion, however there is no point in me coding up a storm on something that no one is going to use.

PLEASE NOTE: Some things are going to take a lot of planning/coding, more so than others. If there is enough interest in a particular feature, then I will spend the time implementing it.

So go ahead, express your top 3 and talk amongst yourselves. Hopefully at the end, we can come up with a shortlist for the next release!

Thanks!
Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby call-me-DD » May 29th, 2007, 1:40 am

well i like the Media Player Library... i think there should be a more advanced library...

also what about album art !

also a skin-able playlist & other windows !
i luv makin skins 4 xion :)
call-me-DD
Xion Supporter

Postby pickle » May 29th, 2007, 9:35 am

• Album art
  • Macintosh version (since I'm going to move to OS X in the next month or so, I'd love to take Xion with me)
  • The ability to choose recent playlists by right-clicking on the main player window.
  • (this isn't really a 4th since it's just a feature you've disabled) ID3 tag editing
pickle
Xion Admirer

Postby KEV-O » May 30th, 2007, 1:58 am

Video
More advanced media library
Skin-able library, playlist, & video windows
Album Art

yea yea, i know it's four. :)
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » May 30th, 2007, 4:14 am

* Component SDK - which also allows parts to use the layer functionality from the skinning engine, so that others could create new playlists etc.. that incorporate skinnable properties

the above would then help pave the way for other skinnable windows which we all seem to want/like but could be done by others as plugins, could have notifier, playlist, media libraries, any other type windows etc.. using the skinning engine, this would take the onus off you Cliff to create such things, obviously some sort of quality control of plugins would be needed

* moveable group sets to act like drawers with lots of content to move from x,y to xn,yn and back again

* rotational mapping layer - to act as volume, seek, balance, layer transparency, rotational layer (for rotating layers funnily enough ;) quicker for Xion to rotate a layer than put it in an animation loop, altho rotational layers should also be able to be put into an animation loop)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby skryingbreath » May 30th, 2007, 6:30 am

pickle Wrote:[list
[*]Macintosh version (since I'm going to move to OS X in the next month or so, I'd love to [/list]

There's an phenomenal amount of work in that, besides there's no market for it on OSX.
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby KEV-O » May 30th, 2007, 1:51 pm

wow, the answers are pretty scattered. Maybe Cliff could pick the top three he thinks are most feasable, and do a poll?
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby Cliff Cawley » May 30th, 2007, 5:13 pm

Yup, I was going to wait for some more people to post, and see if there is a general trend towards a few, then do a poll.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby djinn2 » May 30th, 2007, 6:25 pm

The component sdk would enable most of the requests to be created by the user base. There are a lot of plugins out there for pretty much every purpose. I've used winamp plugins on other players and vice versa. It would open up a lot of options without bloating Xion itself.
djinn2
Xion Admirer

Postby ALAS » May 30th, 2007, 8:02 pm

-Album Art (a must-have)
-Advanced, skinnable Playlist/Library
-moveable group sets

I know we just have 3 wishes but I´m greedy today and have a 4th one :) : volume buttons which keep increasing/decreasing volume when constantly pressed! The current ones must be pressed 64 times (!) to come from highest to lowest volume and are therefore needless..
Last edited by ALAS on May 31st, 2007, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby KEV-O » May 31st, 2007, 12:32 am

haha ditto about the volume buttons
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » May 31st, 2007, 3:27 am

surprised they were not auto repeat buttons to begin with ;)

I would have thought small things such as the auto rpt on vol buttons was a minor thing and hope not counted as a main request ;)

the id tag stuff which was disabled is more work than people imagine
I think a fine line between more functionality player wise and some more functionality skinning wise would be a good balance

I mentioned the sdk as this would alleviate some pressure off Cliff to give more power to things such as the playlist for example and other things such as being able to use the skinning engine for external plugins which would enable us to create skinnable playlists/windows etc...

the idea of moving groups in a layer set for example would give so much more power to skins to be able to have draws, extra pull out sections, perhaps even be able to embed a playlist into the skin, its easier/smarter to let Xion handle moving many objects
given that we cannot add code to implement drawer type objects into skins is the reason for requesting it
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ALAS » May 31st, 2007, 5:25 am

SLoB Wrote:I would have thought small things such as the auto rpt on vol buttons was a minor thing and hope not counted as a main request ;)

that´s why i took it as a 4th (forbidden) wish :wink:

so here the correction: We want auto rpt vol buttons FOR FREE!

if Cliff, the fairy will give it to us?? :D
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby madalin » May 31st, 2007, 7:42 am

Favourites !:)
madalin
Xion Supporter

Postby Foleor » May 31st, 2007, 3:44 pm

1. Skinable Playlist <= (This is a must for some people, cause ive recommended Xion to some friends and the first thing they ask is like "Where is the playlist". When I tell em to rightclick and press it, and they see the current one they all going "Thats irritating me a bit".)

2. Third sorta repeat button, but for repeating a single number. (Yeh, sometimes I have a number-mood and wanna repeat it the whole day and things, now my only option is to create a new list with only that number in it, so an extra state for the repeat button wud be great.

3. Alas' idea, moveable group sets, I'm reading it and allready thinking what sorta cool things people could come up with... I think it would be nice for the skinners, dont know what users would think of it tho xD (offcourse, it gives them the option to place things like they want to have it... you could have player buttons all over the place =D!)

Well, those are mine.
The 2 and 3 are minor things, the first is really one that would help much.
Yay for skinning!
Foleor
Xion Supporter

Next

Return to General Xion Discussion