Xion Audio Player

[off-topic] Need a name... for a guitar!

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Postby KEV-O » August 17th, 2007, 1:04 am

Hey guys! Maybe you've noticed a lack of skins from me latley, and this is why! I've been working on a new project. I'm builiding myself an electric guitar! I plan to do some pretty fun stuff with it. One of my ideas was to have the name of the guitar in a script font, placed towards the bottom of the black pickguard. When the guitar is in use, white LED backlighting will cause the name to glow slightly. Before I can do any of this, I need a name!! And where else would I turn but to the guys who spend all day coming up with names for random skins! To tell you a bit about the guitar- It's an electric that has a slightly smaller body size to cut down on weight. It's got two humbucker pickups that I plan on hiding behind plexiglass. I'd like to stay away from 'people names' and names that are really only random assortments of letters.

Here's a shot of it so far!

Thanks
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby ForceField » August 17th, 2007, 3:33 am

Hmm! Why not:

-eWood
-Legend
-Orbiter
-The Unit
-Energy Depleter
-Harmony
-Electric Tune or (eTune)
-Electric Dancer or (eDancer)
-Guilty Guitar
-High Resonance
-Sound Echo

Or why not KEV-O.After all it's your creation,you deserve it.
ForceField
Xion Admirer

Postby skryingbreath » August 17th, 2007, 7:29 am

Yeah, name it after yourself. Looks badass.

I was planning on building my own a few years ago, still have the neck for it (24 fret yamaha, nicca).
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » August 17th, 2007, 12:01 pm

I've built a few guitars from scratch(inc necks with both ebony or rosewood fingerboards but excluding metal hardware), only got a few pics left of 2 out of the 5 ;)
here's from a few years back, guitar in the background, yep u guessed it, Skull & Crossbones and me letting my hair down while playing at a gig lol

names
MadAxe
Skinned (quite apt if your gonna do a custom design/spray rather than a traditional white/black/sunburst)

ebony is very brittle, so take extra care if u use it on a finger board
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ALAS » August 18th, 2007, 1:26 am

what the .... is every guitar player here building his own guitar? I only bought them so far...

names: KEV-O is ok, but I´d call it:
mine!
or tool
or equipment

SLoB: lol! How much of your hair is still left :- P
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby ALAS » August 18th, 2007, 3:52 am

SloB: nice pic btw :-)
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby KEV-O » August 18th, 2007, 4:05 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys! What do you think about "Overtone"?

Slob- Haha I love the 'doo'! How difficult is it to make the neck? I thought the whole truss rod thing looked a bit complicated. I love the dual neck, that's awesome! haha

ALAS- jump on the bandwagon! Its fun times
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby skryingbreath » August 18th, 2007, 4:50 am

SLoB Wrote:Image

Slob looking metal! Fuck yeah!
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby ForceField » August 18th, 2007, 4:50 am

"Overtone" is a good name :D .

Wow,You are all building guitars.

Me I am in the car tunning area.Each time I buy a car I always add some Horsepower:the first thing I do is to put a performance chip then get rid of some weight, change some pieces(exhaust,filters....) and make some electrical tweaking.Et voila.
The end result can be an increase of more than 80 horsepower.
I was able to boost the power of my current '89 Cutlass Supreme' from 125 to 180 hp :twisted:.And this is just what I need when someone wants to play with me on the roads.

BTW,nice pic SLoB.
ForceField
Xion Admirer

Postby SLoB » August 18th, 2007, 6:40 am

hehe, thnx guys ;)
well hair is longer than it was 10 years ago, altho thinner!! rofl, but its still there ;)

Kev, building the neck is pretty much 3/4 of the guitar, yea ok, its not size wise but for playability the neck is the main part of the guitar for any guitarist, tbh creating necks from scratch is really easy, but i would say that as i was a bench joiner for 16 years ;)

do not buy a bolt/glue in, make your own, you will have shed loads more satisfaction of making the whole thing yourself, i did my own trussrods the cheap way with some threaded rod, bolts, does the same thing as the bought ones, if your not sure on that then buy one of those or if you feel up for it make it yourself, its not hard

the great thing about making your own neck is you can feel the playing, i would advise to not completely finish the neck until you put the guitar together and string it up, its only then will you feel the neck speed, thickness,flow, then you can hone the neck to your desire, also fingerboard, stick with rosewood, its a great wood to use/work with

the neck is part of the guitar that you will feel you love more with having made it yourself, also a nice tip is to use edge binding once youve put in your frets, again i used some basic plastic and glued it on, all found at your local hardware store
tuning pegs/hardware, get some good gear, its always worth it
a tip for fretting, buy one of those real cheap small saws from the pound market, flatten the teeth with either a hammer/piece of metal or some proper teeth setters, use that to cut the fret slots, putting plastic on the edge makes it so much nicer rather than filed fret edges, dont forget the top side fret dots ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby KEV-O » August 18th, 2007, 2:04 pm

I'm headed back to school in a week, so I wont have any time to be working on a neck. I think for now I'll use one I had lying around, but someday I would love to finish her out and make the neck. You're right though, the neck is a huge part and it sucks to say "Yeah I made that... well... except for that one part". I might give it a go next summer though. I know all about what truss rods DO, but I really have no idea what makes up a truss rod and how it would be installed. Let's start up a 'guitar modding' forum! hahaha
KEV-O
Xion Admirer

Postby skryingbreath » August 18th, 2007, 2:29 pm

Just make sure it's METAL.
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby ForceField » August 18th, 2007, 3:36 pm

I have an idea,why not every one of us post his picture.
ForceField
Xion Admirer

Postby skryingbreath » August 18th, 2007, 4:11 pm

You go first. (and only if I get to photoshop you doing compromising things.)
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby Halonut1 » August 18th, 2007, 7:25 pm

Overtone is nice!

Also SLoB that acoustic/electric doubleneck is a bitching idea XD

as for names..er...

Static dream.
Electric Fantasy?

Thats all i got...
Yo...
you can find all my skins primarily on my DeviantART account.
http://halonut1.deviantart.com/
Halonut1
Xion Admirer

Next

Return to General Xion Discussion