The Xion Skinning.net Contest Winners!!

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Postby SK Originals » October 2nd, 2007, 2:04 am

Congratulations go to
zeolyte with 'Valiant'

&

basj with 'XionFlux'

who both tied for FIRST PLACE

zeolyte & basj will have the First & Second place prizes divided between them.

Thank you to everyone who entered, they are all awesome skins & now the community has the pleasure of downloading them.

We hope to continue to see you around Skinning.net in the future & also look forward to more great skins.

Download the awesome skins & please let the skinners know what you think.

Xion Contest Download Galley
Last edited by SK Originals on October 3rd, 2007, 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SK Originals
Xion Supporter

Postby skryingbreath » October 2nd, 2007, 2:42 am

It sure would have been swell if you posted pictures of the skins here that won instead of making me go to your site.

So wait, instead of getting the 150 promised to first place they both get 100? That's a bit fucked. If my boss told me "You know, since your coworker helped you today you're only going to get half of your money" I'd punch him in the ovaries.
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby Pixel-Z » October 2nd, 2007, 2:57 am

Congrats to our friends Zeolyte and Basj for the deserved victory! :o
Pixel-Z
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » October 2nd, 2007, 4:08 am

yea congrats guys :)

i do have some feedback for Valiant though, there were some niggling things that bothered me, small details but otherwise a fantastic skin, in fact one of the best skins seen in a long time
i'll put that in a seperate post, then Zeolyte can fix

I would make downloads available without having to join the forum too, I know part of the emphasis was getting new forum members but still downloads should be available to anyone, fair enough to actually enter though

there was only 1 clear winner in my eyes which was Valiant, I don't agree with a joint 1st (no disrespect intended to Basj tho!)
1st, 2nd and 3rd should all be for 1 only, perhaps after those then there could be joints
but then we were not running the comp
the gallery looks odd with the pics being skewed to small, does not give a good impression of the skins, perhaps show a portion of the image?
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ALAS » October 2nd, 2007, 6:44 am

skryingbreath Wrote: "...you're only going to get half of your money" I'd punch him in the ovaries.

haha! real life DEFINITELY has advantages!

btw I wouldn´t even work for a he-boss with ovaries...
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 2nd, 2007, 11:03 am

skryingbreath Wrote:It sure would have been swell if you posted pictures of the skins here that won instead of making me go to your site.

So wait, instead of getting the 150 promised to first place they both get 100? That's a bit fucked. If my boss told me "You know, since your coworker helped you today you're only going to get half of your money" I'd punch him in the ovaries.

Considering this is money that is coming from our personal pockets and not some slush fund, I think the decision to split the funds seemed logical. We are both giving $100US from our personal income and giving it up for this competition. The split is now slightly different as out of the 7 judges, we came out as a tie.

How else would you have dealt with a tie skryingbreath? I think SK Original's decision to split was a good idea considering the circumstances.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 2nd, 2007, 11:05 am

To all those who entered the Competition, I'd love to put your skins up on the Xion Skins page. If you'd like them up there, please submit your skin using the usual Contact page and I'll place them up there :)

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby skryingbreath » October 2nd, 2007, 12:16 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:Considering this is money that is coming from our personal pockets and not some slush fund, I think the decision to split the funds seemed logical. We are both giving $100US from our personal income and giving it up for this competition. The split is now slightly different as out of the 7 judges, we came out as a tie.

How else would you have dealt with a tie skryingbreath? I think SK Original's decision to split was a good idea considering the circumstances.

How can you tie with an odd number of judges?

I would have had them fight to the death in combat.

Or stuck with the original rules I had promised.
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby Cliff Cawley » October 2nd, 2007, 2:16 pm

skryingbreath Wrote:
Cliff Cawley Wrote:Considering this is money that is coming from our personal pockets and not some slush fund, I think the decision to split the funds seemed logical. We are both giving $100US from our personal income and giving it up for this competition. The split is now slightly different as out of the 7 judges, we came out as a tie.

How can you tie with an odd number of judges?

I would have had them fight to the death in combat.

Or stuck with the original rules I had promised.

One of the judges could have voted for a completely different skin that none of the others did.

It was Skinning.net's competition and I respect their decision to award two first place winners.

This competition was supposed to be about fun and creating skins. I hope those that entered had fun and enjoyed it.

Hopefully there will be other competitions in the future. Some of them may have different rules. As long as both of the contestants that won are happy then I don't see the problem. If they aren't happy, I suppose Skinning.net could do a revote and force a 1st place winner by dropping one of the votes?

As I said, how would you decide the winner?

Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby skryingbreath » October 2nd, 2007, 2:21 pm

Just because I'm pointing out a flaw in the decision system doesn't mean I can conjure a fix. I wouldn't have gotten myself into a situation in which I had to choose anyways because there's always that one jerk complaining about how the winners were chosen. :p
skryingbreath
Xion Admirer

Postby SK Originals » October 3rd, 2007, 2:40 am

The vote between the 7 judges were for their choice of 1st and 2nd place. With a value of 2 points given for the first place vote and a value of 1 point given to their second place vote, a tie evolved between the 2 skins. Rather then pushing out the voting process and leaving one of the 2 at a lesser of their original 'points' we (meaning all our admins at Skinning.net) decided the best thing to do would award a split 1st place.

We knew from previous competitions that someone might have quarrel with it but we felt this was the best overall solution. You will never please everyone (another thing we know from our many years online).

As for joining the site to download the skins, its a minor thing really as 'signing up' only takes a few seconds and you get instant access.

We do apologize for the 'skewed' images in the download gallery. Those images are 'auto-generated' and more for user convenience. There are much better and none skewed thumbnails on each of the skins download pages.

**PS** Thumbnails of winning skins added to original message just for those who wanted them ;)
SK Originals
Xion Supporter

Return to General Xion Discussion