Xion Audio Player

Skin Categories

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Should skins be categorised into multiple categories or just one per skin?

Poll ended at April 14th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Multiple
70%
One per skin
30%

Total votes : 10

Postby logokas » April 9th, 2008, 7:34 am

Well your idea is right, but a poll for each separate skin and stuff really exhausts things. Our userbase right now is small as it is, so polls would be a very insufficient way to resolve this.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby SLoB » April 9th, 2008, 8:42 am

agreed, but say we have 5-10 users who vote, at least the votes for the skin(s) into which categories would be democratic, best vote wins, that way people are less inclined to argue the toss over which category it should have been put in

there are still a lot of skins to process with this, so it might be that a lot of skins are put into a category the skinner didn't want them to be in, but if it was voted in by the userbase however big or small then its sort of a common theme that the skin belongs into said category

it was just an idea anyways but something which i thought would be good to bring up as a fair way to judge which categories skins belong to so skinners feel more at ease with the decision of where their skins end up, some may not even care heh but i think a lot would.

it also takes the onus of putting the decision making on one or 2 (or few) people when skinners complain their skin is not in the right category ;)
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby logokas » April 9th, 2008, 2:26 pm

Well, at first, a general judgeing comittee should put the skin in a category of where they see it fit, and if that category is not to the author's liking, THEN we vote.
logokas
Xion Addict

Postby Krakken » April 9th, 2008, 2:34 pm

logokas Wrote:Well, at first, a general judgeing comittee should put the skin in a category of where they see it fit, and if that category is not to the author's liking, THEN we vote.

The problem with this suggestion is, submitting and updating a skin would cease being autonomous.
Krakken
Xion Supporter

Postby ALAS » April 10th, 2008, 2:46 am

logokas Wrote:Okay ALAS, now lets assume some dimwitted 12 year old decides to make a Xion skin and whips some alien mutant abomination up and then decides "Hey! Retro sounds cool, i'll put it there!"

well logokas, you're right, that can of course happen, so what? It's the same unlucky behaviour as if this 12 years old makes a skin within 1 hour and says "ey, cool, looks like metal (or wahtever), I'll upload it to the Xion site" , although it's crap and nobody really likes it afterwards. For that we have the feedback area, where everybody can tell what he likes or doesn't like, and can also tell the author if he chose the wrong category.

and for categories: my suggestion is to add one that indicates the skin belongs to a bundle or suit (some will come from me soon ;-) )

That's another point. Sometimes skins for suits aren't that spectacular in themselves, but fit perfect to the rest of the suit. What do others think, should they be uploaded here (to have the complete gallery here at Xion's home-site) or just to upload the highlights here?
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby dredd » April 10th, 2008, 6:06 am

ALAS Wrote:
logokas Wrote:Okay ALAS, now lets assume some dimwitted 12 year old decides to make a Xion skin and whips some alien mutant abomination up and then decides "Hey! Retro sounds cool, i'll put it there!"

well logokas, you're right, that can of course happen, so what? It's the same unlucky behaviour as if this 12 years old makes a skin within 1 hour and says "ey, cool, looks like metal (or wahtever), I'll upload it to the Xion site" , although it's crap and nobody really likes it afterwards. For that we have the feedback area, where everybody can tell what he likes or doesn't like, and can also tell the author if he chose the wrong category.

Well, I can really understand both of you. For the reasons given it's obvious that there should be some kind of moderation. The question is if it should happen before or after the skin is published and that's rather a question of style. A misplaced skin will sooner or later find its way into the right categories. As a skinner I would prefer seeing my creation going online instantly and "uncensored" and I think that more likely reflects Xion's image which circles around the easiness for everybody to create skins. The personal barrier to create and submit a skin is certainly higher for some people if they know that someone's gonna decide over it as they might misinterpretate it as a qualitative judgement. But there are also good reasons favoring moderation in advance, including such that are no problems now but might arise in future like spam, copyright issues, etc.

ALAS Wrote:That's another point. Sometimes skins for suits aren't that spectacular in themselves, but fit perfect to the rest of the suit. What do others think, should they be uploaded here (to have the complete gallery here at Xion's home-site) or just to upload the highlights here?

All skins should at least go here to avoid having to search ten different sites for skins. And you can use the preview screenshot to give an impression of what it looks like in the suite (and a link to it) :)
dredd
Xion Supporter

Postby Digimike » April 11th, 2008, 6:01 am

I've always felt that skins should be categorized for the user's screen resolution as well. Authors could also produce "high res" and "low res" variants of their work.

A skin designed in and sized for 1280x1024 would be rather big for 1024x768.
Digimike
Xion Supporter

Postby SLoB » April 16th, 2008, 3:02 am

clone category not working Cliff, skin remains unchanged apart from adding it to that category

also in manage skins page, can a current category be shown too? even if its not been assigned a category, atm there is no real way to tell apart from looking at all the categories

also the rule you mentioned about putting skins in lots of categories, is there a maximum?
I've not checked if there is any logic stopping that in the category selection, I was tempted to put Abducted in both retro and futuristic but forgot about the rule you mentioned until reading it after this post
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby Lance » April 16th, 2008, 3:33 am

Just thought I would butt in here so don't mind me. I'm really liking the work on the skins page, much better for finding what you want.

However, the categories aren't that great. I uploaded my XDJ skin and expected at least one category that would describe it being either a gadget, electronic device or realstic. There wasn't anything. All I had to choose from was Animated and Fun, which really don't describe the skin at all.

So, any chance of adding either or all of these? Realistic, Electronic Devices, Gadgets. Thanks a bunch! :)

Peace, Lance
I made the Xion Default skin. Ask me questions and stuff.

DeviantArt
Lance
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » April 16th, 2008, 3:46 am

yea i would deffo use Electronic Devices & Gadgets - those are deemed as futuristic imo but could also be retro depending on how far you go back looks wise heheh
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ALAS » April 16th, 2008, 6:19 am

btw in clone there is one skin that´s shown up as ´file does not exist´...
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby SLoB » April 16th, 2008, 6:31 am

yea thats why i posted ALAS ;) i put altdefault in there by just changing its category to clone and noticed it not showing up, look up a couple of posts :roll: :wink:
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby ALAS » April 16th, 2008, 7:35 am

SLoB Wrote:yea thats why i posted ALAS ;) i put altdefault in there by just changing its category to clone and noticed it not showing up, look up a couple of posts :roll: :wink:

ahh well, ok 8)
ALAS
Xion Fan

Postby Cliff Cawley » April 16th, 2008, 7:38 am

SLoB Wrote:clone category not working Cliff, skin remains unchanged apart from adding it to that category

Hmm I'm running out of time before heading to work, will have to check it tonight. I've added the other new categories now too, see how you go with those.

SLoB Wrote:also in manage skins page, can a current category be shown too? even if its not been assigned a category, atm there is no real way to tell apart from looking at all the categories

Yeah I was thinking about this, wasn't sure at the time how I was going to display it. I'll come up with something :)

SLoB Wrote:also the rule you mentioned about putting skins in lots of categories, is there a maximum?
I've not checked if there is any logic stopping that in the category selection, I was tempted to put Abducted in both retro and futuristic but forgot about the rule you mentioned until reading it after this post

Well, most skins won't fit into more than 2-3 categories I would think. I'm mainly talking about people trying to get full exposure of their skin by dumping it all all of the categories, or 1-2 less than all the categories.

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby ALAS » April 16th, 2008, 8:01 am

ALAS Wrote:
SLoB Wrote:yea thats why i posted ALAS ;) ... blah blah

AND: i had another post (which didn´t get through somehow)...

some of my skins (and others I saw here) would fit into a category ´Abstract´ or ´Ornamental´ but not minimal (as a bad compromise) or any other. Another category?
ALAS
Xion Fan

PreviousNext

Return to General Xion Discussion