Xion Audio Player

Finally a QCD relacement! Just needs a few things...

Feature Requests and Ideas

Postby Deathbliss » May 7th, 2008, 5:58 pm

First off I want to thank the team behind this excellent player. I've been searching all day for a QCD replacement that will play my audio in Dolby Digital 5.1. Excellent work, and look for my donation as soon as I have some money to donate :/ BTW this is VERY HARD to find, so if you want more traffic list this program at download.com and get the site listed in the search engines.

NOW, there are just a few minor gripes I have... In QCD you can click on load playlist, and since you are able to set a directory for your music in preferences, you get a nice list of all the .pls or .m3u file sou have there. So if you have a bunch of folder genres like me, you can go to Music/ModernRock, and a list will pop up of all the playlists available in that directory. It is MUCH easier than having to show the playlist dialog in Xion, and it follows your directory structure, whereases loading a playlists in Xion loads every song and mixes it all up. So please include some sort of directory based playlist list that can be skinned and easily used via a simple button in Xion.

That leads me to another minor gripe... I'm currently using the Alexis skin, and I tell the author now to get hired by an anime company like the folks behind ghost in the shell because I've never seen art like this beyond some of the best looking anime! It's really an amazing skin and the author or authoress is EXTREMELY skilled! Anyhow when I click the Load Playlist button I get a BLEAH dialog box that just doesn't fit with the skin at all. So it would be nice to see the playlist integrated into the skins, should skinners choose to do so. I assume it simply can't be done or else some skinners would have done it already. I just prefer seeing the current playlist in a scrollable window with h play controls like QCD has. So please integrate the playlist better into Xion and its skinnable parts.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work!
- Deathbliss
Deathbliss
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » May 7th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Hey Deathbliss and welcome to the Xion Community!

Now that your trek for the ultimate audio player is over, I hope you enjoy your stay! ;)

Deathbliss Wrote:First off I want to thank the team behind this excellent player. I've been searching all day for a QCD replacement that will play my audio in Dolby Digital 5.1. Excellent work, and look for my donation as soon as I have some money to donate :/ BTW this is VERY HARD to find, so if you want more traffic list this program at download.com and get the site listed in the search engines.

Thanks! Actually the 'team' behind Xion is just one person. Me! :) I code it in my spare time so I'm not able to work on it as much as I'd like, but I try and get updates with new releases every month or so, with Beta builds in between.

As for Download.com, Xion is actually already on there. Out of interest what were you searching for when you tried to find another media player? Perhaps I need to tweak those search terms.

Deathbliss Wrote:NOW, there are just a few minor gripes I have... In QCD you can click on load playlist, and since you are able to set a directory for your music in preferences, you get a nice list of all the .pls or .m3u file sou have there. So if you have a bunch of folder genres like me, you can go to Music/ModernRock, and a list will pop up of all the playlists available in that directory. It is MUCH easier than having to show the playlist dialog in Xion, and it follows your directory structure, whereases loading a playlists in Xion loads every song and mixes it all up. So please include some sort of directory based playlist list that can be skinned and easily used via a simple button in Xion.

I'll have to check this out, but it more or less sounds like the Library Plugin. Drag and drop a bunch of playlists in there and you can double click them to load them into the playlist. The Library is very simple at this stage, however I do hope to improve it soon.

Deathbliss Wrote:That leads me to another minor gripe... I'm currently using the Alexis skin, and I tell the author now to get hired by an anime company like the folks behind ghost in the shell because I've never seen art like this beyond some of the best looking anime! It's really an amazing skin and the author or authoress is EXTREMELY skilled! Anyhow when I click the Load Playlist button I get a BLEAH dialog box that just doesn't fit with the skin at all. So it would be nice to see the playlist integrated into the skins, should skinners choose to do so. I assume it simply can't be done or else some skinners would have done it already. I just prefer seeing the current playlist in a scrollable window with h play controls like QCD has. So please integrate the playlist better into Xion and its skinnable parts.

Well, Xion skinning has been hailed as a revolution in skinning. It uses a PSD to detail the interface and as such is non-resizeable, has no tiling parts, etc. I'm currently looking into allowing the playlist to be skinned in a very similar way, but because the playlist is of course resizeable, I have to change the way the skins are created somewhat.. It will most likely be more difficult that the main Xion window, to skin, but I hope to still keep everything that makes skinning Xion such an awesome experience for those that have tried it.

Good to have you on board, I'll be looking at these things that you've raised and will implement in upcoming versions of Xion :)

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Deathbliss » May 7th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Hey thanks for the reply! I even tried to do a skin for the last hour in Gimp but I give up. I guess I need some talented user to create a video tutorial for me (hint... hint...)

As far as what I said for QCD here's a link - the screenshot tells all:
http://www.quinnware.com/

The two halves shown there actually stack on top of one another in the default configuration. Perhaps you wouldn't need to change Xion all that much - just integrate the playlist into the interface so it can display all the tracks currently in the list. I dunno - I'm no coder. All I can say is that for just one person doing this, well you are extremely skilled!

Now once you have this down I'll have you create a screen casting program, or perhaps fix this one:
http://camstudio.org/

Just not enough good coders out there...
- Deathbliss
Deathbliss
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » May 8th, 2008, 7:27 am

Deathbliss Wrote:Hey thanks for the reply! I even tried to do a skin for the last hour in Gimp but I give up. I guess I need some talented user to create a video tutorial for me (hint... hint...)

Were the Tutorials on the Help page of no help at all? I believe I've seen some tutorials on youtube, but they're made by fans :)

Deathbliss Wrote:As far as what I said for QCD here's a link - the screenshot tells all:
http://www.quinnware.com/

The two halves shown there actually stack on top of one another in the default configuration. Perhaps you wouldn't need to change Xion all that much - just integrate the playlist into the interface so it can display all the tracks currently in the list. I dunno - I'm no coder. All I can say is that for just one person doing this, well you are extremely skilled!

Yeah I plan on doing something similar. It will be a separate window.

Deathbliss Wrote:Now once you have this down I'll have you create a screen casting program, or perhaps fix this one:
http://camstudio.org/

Just not enough good coders out there...
- Deathbliss

Heh well its Open Source, I'm sure there are bound to be others wanting to help out, if they know what the issues are?

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby Deathbliss » May 8th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Cliff Cawley Wrote:Were the Tutorials on the Help page of no help at all? I believe I've seen some tutorials on youtube, but they're made by fans :)

The tutorials are great, I'm just not getting it. I seem to learn better visually I guess. But I'm sure I'll be back at skinning sooner or later...
- Deathbliss
Deathbliss
Xion Supporter

Return to Feature Requests