Xion Audio Player

What's the upload limit for uploading skins?

General Discussion about Xion Audio Player

Postby Seenav » May 5th, 2008, 8:15 am

Hi, I just had a simple question

Whats the upload limit for uploading skins on this site?

I have a skin I'd like to update (Pioneer CDJ1000), but its 14mb and it keeps taking me to a page that says like the connection was reset
Trance and house for life.
Seenav
Xion Supporter

Postby Cliff Cawley » May 5th, 2008, 11:26 am

Seenav Wrote:Hi, I just had a simple question

Whats the upload limit for uploading skins on this site?

I have a skin I'd like to update (Pioneer CDJ1000), but its 14mb and it keeps taking me to a page that says like the connection was reset

Hmm, I guess the upload script is timing out. For now, feel free to email me the 3 files, zipped up, from the Contact page and reference this thread

Cliff :)
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion
r2 Studios
http://www.r2.com.au
http://xion.r2.com.au
Cliff Cawley
Creator of Xion

Postby SLoB » May 5th, 2008, 7:18 pm

heh i thought my skins were on the large filesize, perhaps consider reducing it, if its 14mb zipped that one huge skin.

I'm sure if i looked at the psd there would be lots of things that could be reduced, re-factoring is also part of optimising the skin
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby WinstonGFX » May 6th, 2008, 4:05 am

Holy cow, 14 MB, I'm sure there are some layers that can be flattened and whatnot. 14 MB is a little over the top, I'd say to keep your .xsf to less than 1 MB if at all possible.
WinstonGFX
Xion Admirer

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 10th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Well, well, well... I have a skin in the works (that I'm probably never gonna get around to finishing...) that has more than 300 layers dedicated to progress and volume animations... it's only 100*300 pixels, but I would have expected it to be more than the 4.53 MB it is now. I wonder what exactly creates huge file sizes, if not an insane number of layers...
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby UnseenRage » May 11th, 2008, 1:44 am

300 layers! OfficerMike have a pic to show?
UnseenRage
Xion Supporter

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 11th, 2008, 3:59 am

UnseenRage Wrote:300 layers! OfficerMike have a pic to show?

Nope.... you'll have to wait until the competition is over, I don't think I'm allowed to even share pictures of it until then (SLoB, you tell me...). Anyways, for one I don't think it was necessary to use that many layers, and two I couldn't manage the look I wanted with another part of it. As long as the file size is reasonable, I'm not getting rid of any. Just so you know, I didn't actually draw that many layers, I rendered them from an animated model I made in 3ds Max, then copied each image into separate layers (still a LOT of work, fortunately I had some unused macro keys on my G15 to cut down on some of it).
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Location: A house, Lakeland, Florida, United States, North America, Earth, Milky Way

Postby SLoB » May 11th, 2008, 4:37 am

ah yea, best keep it out of public viewing for now ;)
at least we got a couple of entries coming in lol :)

we have had lots of views of the competition thread here and at SC :)
looking forward to see the skin entries :)

remember we will also be having a public poll - most likely here and at SC, votes will be combined, its probably not going to get abused too much by allowing 2 polls but gives people a choice of where to vote, altho we want to try and get more traffic to both sites really
SLoB
Xion Junkie

Postby OfficerMike07 » May 11th, 2008, 5:18 am

SLoB Wrote:its probably not going to get abused too much by allowing 2 polls

I probably won't even be voting for my own skins unless the other entries are just plain terrible (which I expect better than that...)
OfficerMike07
Xion Fan

Return to General Xion Discussion